Need help with activity level (and TDEE)

Options
I posted this in another forum and got no response. Going to try again...

I am using the calorie calculator on scoobysworkshop.com, which is much like other calculators.

BMR 1347

For TDEE -20%:
1293 (sedentary)
1482 (light)
1671 (moderate)

I am getting on the elliptical 5 days a week, burning roughly 200 calories each session for roughly 30 min. That's 1000 calories for 2 1/2 hours a week, overall average of 143 calories a day.

If I am looking at TDEE-20%, each activity level increment adds 189 calories. Already I don't fall into even the light exercise category, and had I not added up the increments, I'd have thought I was in a moderate exercise category due to what I am doing. This is why I've been very reluctant to even use these type calculators, instead opting for determining my calories based on what I am actually burning according to my HRM.

I have added weights 3 x week, about 30-40 minutes a session. However, I am not adept, and I sometimes think I spend more time adjusting the machines than actually lifting. My HRM says I burn about 100 calories per session.

So, based on my exercise, where should I be? I'm trying to break out of my plateau. I started with 1100 calories a day, dropped 7 lbs in 4 weeks and everything abruptly stopped. For 7 weeks, I've plateau'ed. I increased to 1200...nothing. I increased to 1300, then later added my weights. Nothing. Now I've increased to 1500, but really have no idea what I should be eating, based on my activity level.

My weight lifting is about 6-7 machines per session, and I'm lucky if I can get 3 sets of 10 reps, and that's on light weights at this point. I still try to get the reps in but I often have to rest after 5, so as you can see, I'm obviously not keeping a consistent heart rate.

Thank you in advance!!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So, as you're being neglected..........

BMR 1347 +/- 100 let's say 1250 - 1450

add 20% for a sedentary lifestyle = 1500 - 1740 = TDEE excluding exercise

add on 170 avge for the exercise = 1670 - 1910 = True TDEE

take off 20% gives 1340 - 1530 = TDEE - 20%

so your 1500 is probably at the upper end of where you want to be.
  • bethmac_va
    bethmac_va Posts: 65
    Options
    So, as you're being neglected..........

BMR 1347 +/- 100 let's say 1250 - 1450

add 20% for a sedentary lifestyle = 1500 - 1740 = TDEE excluding exercise

add on 170 avge for the exercise = 1670 - 1910 = True TDEE

take off 20% gives 1340 - 1530 = TDEE - 20%

so your 1500 is probably at the upper end of where you want to be.

Thanks!! So by your calculations, eating too few calories isn't the problem, as I have been eating around 1350-1400 a day and not losing. I cannot figure out how much to figure for weight lifting. Maybe I'm burning more than I think??? This is where I get so confused.
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    nump for later good advice yarwell . Good luck
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    saving for later, thanks
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I like the calculators found here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

I eat in between sedentary and lightly active.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You're a great example of why MFP's system of adding (and eating) exercise calories helps you to get nearer to a more accurate daily calorie allowance than other systems which take a wild guess at how much you exercise (which you may or may not do anyway).

If it was me, I would use MFP to set my goals, choose either "lose 1 pound per week" or "lose 1/2 pound per week" depending on your current weight. I would set my activity level and sedentary and then log (and eat) the extra exercise calories.

MFP really does make it simple!
  • bethmac_va
    Options
    I like the calculators found here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

I eat in between sedentary and lightly active.

Yes, I've read that entire thread. :) In fact, I think I've read almost every thread there is on how to set your calories. Way TMI I think. LOL!
  • bethmac_va
    Options
    You're a great example of why MFP's system of adding (and eating) exercise calories helps you to get nearer to a more accurate daily calorie allowance than other systems which take a wild guess at how much you exercise (which you may or may not do anyway).

If it was me, I would use MFP to set my goals, choose either "lose 1 pound per week" or "lose 1/2 pound per week" depending on your current weight. I would set my activity level and sedentary and then log (and eat) the extra exercise calories.

MFP really does make it simple!

This is exactly what I have been doing. And it isn't working. MFP set me at 1200 calories. I log everything, eat my exercise calories and I still weigh the same as I did 5 weeks ago.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    eating too few calories isn't the problem, as I have been eating around 1350-1400 a day and not losing
    This is the hard part, and probably why you didn't get any answers !

Firstly we should say that the BMR is an estimate, I indicated +/- 10% above and usually about 70% of people are within the 10% band. You might be unlucky and lower, or have a reduced metabolism for a particular reason, but even that shouldn't leave you without a calorie deficit. If you could get it tested it would be helpful, or perhaps a thyroid function test at the doctor.

You could try dropping the exercise for a while and the corresponding eat back calorie intake, do a spell of dieting with 30 minutes or an hour of walking a day. You get more clarity on your calories out that way, and avoid creating an excessive calorie deficit through exercise.

Or you could try a different diet approach like reducing your carbs - 10 % carbs, 20-25% protein, rest as oils and fats. Lots of green veg, oily fish, meat, cheese, eggs etc. The rational here would be to ensure that you had low blood sugars as much as possible and hence low insulin and the best opportunity to take fat from your reserves.

Lastly you could try 2-4 weeks at a much reduced calorie intake after discussion with your doctor. I'm yet to see reports of someone eating 800 calories a day with nutritional supplements without exercise failing to lose weight and fat. This is more appropriate to more obese people, but it's perhaps a conversation to be had.

No doubt someone will suggest you eat more, I leave it to them to explain how that'll work.
  • jaxson65
    jaxson65 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Maybe its not your calorie intake at all. Have a close look at your sodium intake and increase drinking water to two litres a day inclusive of teas, coffees, squash etc.). One litre of water weighs two pounds and two teaspoons of salt is enough to retain that weight. MFP Sodium levels are higher than the English recommendation which is 1500mg. I never get that high in a day anyway. Processed foods are the worst but naturally occuring salt is also present in some fresh foods too.