Finished 5k new PR

Options
I just had to share with you all I just raced in a 5 k (Race for the Cure) this morning and I was able to break 30 minutes. I was very excited about my time. I started running just over a year ago and it has been one of my goals to break 30 minutes. Today was the day. I am training for a marathon doing the Galloway method so I have been getting in lots of miles. Today I ran the whole race stopping only for water at the half way point. While 30 minutes isn't blazing fast I was still very happy to have met a goal I set after I ran my 1st 5k last year. This is my 6th 5k race and my times have gotten better with each one. Now I am thinking 25 minutes will be my next goal.:smile:

Replies

• jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Great job!! That is great! Setting a new goal is always a good thing. :drinker:
  • feel_the_love
    Options
    Great Job :):flowerforyou:
    I'm glad that you made your 30 min goal come true :smile:
  • hammersshells
    Options
    Under 30 is awesome! You have inspired me to strap my running shoes back on. I ran my first 5k this summer in 35, and had shin splints so I "rested" my legs for a while... I actually haven't ran since. But I am going to get back out there, and work on a new PR myself. Thanks for sharing your success. :smile:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Your story sounds SO similar to mine! I just finished my first marathon last weekend (Chicago) and this morning tried to break 25 mins on a 5k....it didn't happen, instead I think I made 27 and some change. I'm not sure if I had a pr this morning, but we'll see. I too have been running for a little over a year. Good luck on the marathon, it will be one of the most amazing things you'll ever do! It was crazy after the marathon, I sat down in Grant Park and sobbed. It really feels good to know where you've come from and realize how far you've gotten! It has been such an emotional journey, and so worth it!
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words. Hammersshells I think your legs might be rested enough. :laugh: (Sorry I just couldn't resist) Just take it slow getting back into it. I like to have goals in mind ahead of time. I am already registered for the marathon in February. My wife and I were talking about picking out some races for next year and putting them on the calendar. Writing them down is important, Then we can figure out when to start training.
  • hammersshells
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words. Hammersshells I think your legs might be rested enough. :laugh: (Sorry I just couldn't resist) Just take it slow getting back into it. I like to have goals in mind ahead of time. I am already registered for the marathon in February. My wife and I were talking about picking out some races for next year and putting them on the calendar. Writing them down is important, Then we can figure out when to start training.

Thanks Emory! hahaha! You are quite right. The legs have had plenty of rest... I need to remember the "take it slow" part, though--I will start researching more events in my area tonight so I can start setting some goals. Thanks!
    Jen