OMG I wanna be Ernestine Shepherd when I grow up...

Options
...http://preserveyoursexy.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/ernestine-shepherd-1.jpg?w=450

Ernestine Shepherd Always a Winner

Guinness Book Record Holder

Guinness Book representatives contacted Ernestine about her world record. After checking thoroughly, Guinness Book World Records 2010 has pictured Ernestine Shepherd as the ‘World’s Oldest Competitive Female Bodybuilder’. At age 74 , with the body of one 30 years her junior, Ernestine truly has delayed the results of aging.
Ernestine is preparing for her next marathon and bodybuilder competition.

Ernestine Shepherd, Fit and Fabulous

As an Ernestine Shepherd fan, I wanted to know just how she does it. How does she maintain her hourglass figure and still manage to juggle an active lifestyle; which includes making time for her husband and grandchild? Ernestine says “the secret to aging gracefully is exercise, exercise, exercise. I always use my slogan, I’m determined, dedicated, and disciplined to be fit.” Ernestine certainly has the right formula for maintaining good health and fitness well into our 70’s and beyond.

Pumping Iron

Ernestine lifts weights at the gym three times a week. Some days she lifts heavy and some she lifts light; depending on her mood. When she’s not pumping iron she walks up to 5 miles a day. “The most important thing is to get out and walk,” said Ernestine. “It doesn’t cost you anything to walk.” Ernestine also loves to run and sometimes runs up to 12 miles. She participates in many marathons and each year she is first in her age group. Having an intense fitness regimen and strict diet has helped Ernestine drop her body fat down to 9 percent. That's amazing!
Ernestine is very, very happy and enjoying her family and retirement. She plans to continue training, competing and devoting herself even more to living a healthy fit lifestyle.

Ernestine Shepherd Turns 75

On June 16th our fitness diva celebrated her 75th birthday. Last year a local Baltimore television station helped celebrate by spotlighting Ernestine on their health watch edition. Ernestine continues to stay active by running, lifting weights, training clients and preparing for her next bodybuilder competition. So I asked Ernestine to share how her diet impacts her fat loss. The one food item that's predominant in her diet is egg whites. She eats and drinks egg whites daily.
Analysis has shown that egg whites are pure protein and is nature's number one source of natural protein. It has no fat, cholesterol, trans fats and 2 grams of carbohydrates per 8 ounces. Egg whites are perfect for losing weight and building muscle. One 8 oz cup of liquid egg whites supply 26 grams of pure protein. Muscles need protein to grow but it also burns fat used for energy. (see my article 'Protein and Dieting') No wonder our fitness diva has only nine percent (9%) of body fat!
Way to go Ernestine! Good luck in your next bodybuilder competition.

Ernestine Shepherd in Jet Magazine

Fitness Diva Ernestine Shepherd has made national coverage again! The March 23, 2009 issue of Jet Magazine included a whole page article on Baltimore's own, Ernestine Shepherd. Ernestine is photographed in a two piece exercise outfit that shows off her chiseled abs. She looks better than many half her age. This is a testimony that exercise will keep you looking young. Not only does she look young, she exudes confidence. "Be determined, dedicated and disciplined to be fit," that's the key along with cardio, weight training, proper diet and rest.

Spotlight on Ernestine Shepherd

Ernestine Shepherd, then 72 was interviewed by 8-time Mr Olympia winner, Lee Haney. Ernestine, a dedicated personal trainer and marathon runner, spoke on fitness for the hour long interview from her home in Baltimore Maryland. Lee Haney's show, Totalee Fit Radio is aired Monday through Friday at 11A.M. and 3 P.M. and is a great source for expert health and fitness information.

Ernestine Shepherd Phenomenal Woman

What makes Ernestine Shepherd a cut above the rest? Hard work, dedication, staying focused and having a pleasant personality are good traits, but not phenomenal. Ernestine Shepherd, an inspiring bodybuilder, fitness trainer, marathon runner and grandmother epitomizes the fact that it's never too late to get fit and healthy. Ernestine is 75 years old and has the body of a woman over thirty years her junior. What's phenomenal about her is not just her age, but the truth is she didn't begin training until age 56.

Avid Exerciser

Ernestine was never avid about exercising until after shopping for swimsuits with her sister. They both then decided it was time to join a gym to stay in shape. They began training with Raymond Day, a bodybuilder and personal trainer who has many trophies to his credit. He won first place as Masters Champion in the Kevin Levrone Classic. I've traveled with Ray to many bodybuilding competitions but that day I first met Ernestine Shepherd. She and her sister were in the audience cheering for their trainer. What I noticed about Ernestine was how confident she and her sister were in their form-fitting outfits. Although they had recently begun training, it truly made an impact! They felt great and looked great in their clothes.
Determined, Dedicated and Disciplined

Then one day, Ernestine's sister came to Ray for her training session complaining about a ringing in her ears. A few days later she passed away due to a brain aneurysm. Ernestine didn't want to train anymore after that, but after a period of mourning, friends encouraged her to continue her fitness program. That was just what she needed! Ernestine came back to the gym with more determination than she ever had. She created her motto which she wears on her clothing; "determined, dedicated, disciplined to be fit". Ernestine starting running for several miles every day, in addition to weight training. Soon she was running marathons and decided to help others by becoming a personal trainer. Later, after working with a nutritionist, Ernestine decided to compete in bodybuilding. She won first place in her class and is now looking forward to her next competition. What an amazing accomplishment!

Ernestine is an inspiration for all women. Age is biological, not physical. So it's never too late to start living a healthy and fit lifestyle.

Replies

• jem33199
    jem33199 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree!!!! I saw her on TV one day (I think it was something on PBS but I'm not sure). She is an amazing role model.
  • sandee6373
    sandee6373 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i am 57 -- she ihas inspired me ... what a wonderful role model