south beach diet----no weight loss so far in phase 1

I am on day 9 of Phase one of SBD...no weight loss........has anyone else had trouble like this?I am following the diet to a "T"...... can't figure out what I am doing wrong.... i have reviewed my menus and food choices over and over, but still no luck

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    if it was a huge change you made 9 days ago, your body may be "scared" and is holding on as much as it can. A lot of it is water. Give it some more time and the scale will drop a big number soon.
  • jennyrc
    jennyrc Posts: 12
    I should also state that i had a total thyroidectomy 3 yrs. ago, am on Armour thyroid meds....but the south beach diet is what my endocrinologist recommends....so frustrated!
  • jennyrc
    jennyrc Posts: 12
    it wasn't really too big of a change....just the sugar aspect was a big change....I have generally always eaten whole grain before, as far as carbs go. Potatoes were a weakness before, but i have really been doing great as far as kicking the cravings.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Are your portions and calorie intake in check? I remember I tried SB once. Dropped 9 lbs in the first phase, then gained back 17 when I broke the diet.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    AS long as you are in a caloric deficit and not too huge a deficit, you will see progress soon. Hang in there for at least another week.

My two cents....whole grains are not a magical food. I cut grains out completely and am loving the results. Not just losing a few stubborn pounds, but the way I sleep better...have more energy, etc.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,923 Member
    Awhile back I did SBD. I think I made it about 10 days with no weight loss. I gave up. Being that restricted put me in a tailspin. I was missing too much of my life. When I changed the way I looked at food and started eating reasonablely is when the weight fell off me. I know SBD works for many, but I learned in that 10 days that in no way shape or form would I be able to do that forever.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Awhile back I did SBD. I think I made it about 10 days with no weight loss. I gave up. Being that restricted put me in a tailspin. I was missing too much of my life. When I changed the way I looked at food and started eating reasonablely is when the weight fell off me. I know SBD works for many, but I learned in that 10 days that in no way shape or form would I be able to do that forever.
    Same happened to me.
  • alexis510
    alexis510 Posts: 12
    Every body is different and responds differently to changes in eating. For me, the SBD is the only thing that has really helped me to lose weight and keep it off (for the most part). If you open your diary, maybe we can help?
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    I was about to ask if you had thyroid issues when I saw your follow up - I have read that carb-restricting diets don't work well for people with thyroid disease. I didn't have much luck with SBD, either!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    really? hm maybe your calories are too low? I lost weight in the beginning with SB but stalled later - my big prob with it was I got horribly constipated.
    Try adding more whole grain than they say? I do a 'modified' south beach at best. I think it might be one of those things that doesn't neccessarily work for everyone without some tweaking.

increase your exercise, or intensity or calories or all of those things. I had to increase intensity of my workouts a bit to break my plateau.
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    My husband had his thyroid removed and is on meds, and Atkins and South Beach are the only diets that work for him.

Are you using the meal plans and recipes? If not, are you tracking your calories?

I use Phase 2 on SB - you could also move on to Phase 2 for a couple of weeks and see how that goes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Bumping to check in on ya.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    From what I understand you're only supposed to do THAT for 14 days. And, then only if you need to (according to the recent book).