Sodium is too high...suggestions please!?!?

Options
So i cant help but notice that i consistently am going over with sugar, protein and sodium. Protein im fine with im building muscle and weight around 205 so if going 130g over my goal of 78 im OK with that. Sugar im always over because of fruit an apple here yogurt with fruit there its not like im dumping domino packets into my coffee. But the sodium....its so high like 1000g over. I work a lot so food that I can heat up work best for me like trader joes grilled chicken but i noticed the sodium is ridiculous. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to high protein/low sodium food or if I should not worry too much about sodium and just keep up my water intake (already at least a gallon a day) Thanks in advance.

-Joey

Replies

• tegordon
    tegordon Posts: 2
    Options
    Nuts are great, but not as good salted, but worth the health benefits.
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    bump as I have the same problem
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    you probably should get more protein than 130 anyway. It's a good minimum.
    Open up your diary and we can make a few suggestions.

With sodium, you pretty much have to cook fresh food, and watch out for the seasonings.
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I keep my sodium very low. I eat as little processed food as possible, anything microwavable is usually loaded with salt, no lunchmeat ever, and alot of grilled fish, veggies, hardboiled egg whites, and the occasional fiber one bar.
  • lmnosser
    lmnosser Posts: 43
    Options
    yeah, you're probably better off getting raw chicken and cooking it yourself (and not adding salt). That's what I've been doing.
    Buying in bulk and freezing what I'm not going to use in the portion that I'll want to eat when i defrost them.

there's also eggs and protein powder, of course
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I have high blood pressure and it doesn't matter how much water I drink, if I mess up with caffeine or sodium I'm sunk since it all still has to be processed.

So, here are some suggestions for "quick" food:
    --Low sodium soup. Read the label though. Some soups are made lower in sodium than those advertised as low sodium. Might take some time for you to adjust to the taste if you are used to eating a lot of salt.
    --Make your own chicken with seasoning on Sunday, freeze those puppies in freezer bags and bam, insta meal in the microwave.
    --Tuna in a can. Still has sodium but a lot less than most pre-packaged deals.
    --Low sodium freezer meals. Again, check those labels people.
    --As mentioned, nuts, particularly almonds (#1 choice for most) or walnuts (#1 choice for folks with high cholesterol).
    --Frozen fish fillets. A lot are made to be grilled in the freezer bag they come in. Again, read the label to determine sodium b-4 you buy.
    --Broccoli (the wonder food!!). Raw, steamed, whatever. In the frozen veggie section you can find veggies that have close to 0 sodium and are super easy to microwave.

When I was bodybuilding my three favs were lean ground turkey (not regular, regular has more fat and cals than most realize); skinless, boneless chicken breast I prepared; tuna from a can (I always had some in the car for a pinch); skim milk (Don't go nuts though); and broccoli. Snacks were almonds and carrots.

Best of luck to you on your journey.

:smile:
  • joeyg7519
    joeyg7519 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    public now thanks!
  • joeyg7519
    joeyg7519 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    sodium is good for the body and has become infamous for being some sort of unhealthy myth. sodium is needed for bodily functions and more is needed if you exercise at all. no need to worry about high blood pressure if you are at a healthy weight and if you exercise, you wont retain visible water weight either unless ur at an extremely low body fat ur just looking at fat on ur body.

with that all being said i dont go overboard on zero calorie sodium filled foods, and i dont add salt to anything extra but i dont think there is any point to worry about sodium if your diet is calorically healthy and if you exercise.
  • leslisa
    Options
    sodium is good for the body and has become infamous for being some sort of unhealthy myth. sodium is needed for bodily functions and more is needed if you exercise at all. no need to worry about high blood pressure if you are at a healthy weight and if you exercise, you wont retain visible water weight either unless ur at an extremely low body fat ur just looking at fat on ur body.

with that all being said i don't go overboard on zero calorie sodium filled foods, and i don't add salt to anything extra but i don't think there is any point to worry about sodium if your diet is calorically healthy and if you exercise.

Some sodium is good, yes, but overabundance is not. I think the issue in question is excess. He's not trying to cut it out altogether but is over because of lunch time quicky meals.

That being said body types are vastly different and exercise/diet doesn't always cut it, especially when you get to a *certain* age. For example, I have had high b/p since I was 18. I ran 6 miles at a time, body built, ate really well, and weighed in a a whopping 112 lbs (5'1" height).

Here's a helpful article from the Mayo Clinic if you'd like to see something in black and white (even though personally I believe everything posted here is the absolute truth I know some are suspicious :laugh: )
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284

Cheers!
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I could not get the link to work, it took me to mayo, but said page not found. :(
  • leslisa
    Options
    Hmm, not sure why link will not display. It works for me. Anyway, you can Google it: Sodium: How to tame your salt habit now mayo

That's the name of the article and mayo at the end. I tend to trust the Mayo Clinic and universities more than I do other sites.