Thinking about joining Curves...any thoughts??

Hey guys, I used to be a member of curves over 10 years ago and in Canada. I live in Florida now. I remember it being pretty good for just a general workout, but has it changed? Does anyone go there now and have any pros/cons to share?
Thanks!!

Replies

• misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    I went during and after my pregnancies, and found it to be good for that, but honestly, I don't think it would be enough now.
    I think if you are very overweight or older and just starting out it would be okay. I found it to be very light exercise. Most of the members at the one I went to were 60+, many of them were 80+!
  • That's what I was worried about. I'm a busy new Mommy and I'm still in pretty good shape, but I'd like to tone up. I just don't have time to go and spend hours at the gym.
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    I had joined about 5 years ago with my mom to help keep her motivated in the start of her journey. It helped, but after awhile it really wasn't enough, that's when we joined Anytime Fitness and she got a personal trainer. :) Like misty said, it's okay for starting out, but it will only take you so far until you need more of a challenge.
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    do you have time to do anything at home? I go to a boot camp style class every morning, but I found an app for my phone that has similar workouts, it's called Max Capacity Trainer or something like that. Also there are some good videos on youtube if you search body weight boot camp.
    My 4 year old does them with me, I admit he gets in my way and slows me down sometimes, but it's better than nothing :)
  • amymarie8709
    That's what I was worried about. I'm a busy new Mommy and I'm still in pretty good shape, but I'd like to tone up. I just don't have time to go and spend hours at the gym.
    You don't have to spend hours at a time at the gym in order to tone. Try looking on bodybuilding.com. Enter your info and goals and it'll pick the best workout for you to help reach your goals. It gives demos if you don't know how to do something and it also gives some kind of meal plan on it.
    I'm on it and I love the workout it picked for me! And later on you can create your own workout. It's awesome!
  • amymarie8709
    do you have time to do anything at home? I go to a boot camp style class every morning, but I found an app for my phone that has similar workouts, it's called Max Capacity Trainer or something like that. Also there are some good videos on youtube if you search body weight boot camp.
    My 4 year old does them with me, I admit he gets in my way and slows me down sometimes, but it's better than nothing :)

LOL. My 3 year old does Jillian michaels with me! :)
  • reallyregina
    reallyregina Posts: 62 Member
    I went for a short time. I liked it but I have kids and no sitter so trying to get there was impossible. I HATED that it's a women's gym but they refuse to offer childcare. Absolutely ridiculous.
  • reallyregina
    reallyregina Posts: 62 Member
    Oh and I was by far the youngest person working out. Most of the ladies were retired so that's something to consider if you're looking to make friends there.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Being a guy I've never been to one myself, but I have heard a lot about them from ladies who went there. Basically the level of exercise you can get from what they have is something only a beginner would really see any benefit from, and the way they do things seems as though they are trying to perpetuate certain very old-school fitness myths that have since then been debunked about the way women specifically should train.
  • Being a guy I've never been to one myself, but I have heard a lot about them from ladies who went there. Basically the level of exercise you can get from what they have is something only a beginner would really see any benefit from, and the way they do things seems as though they are trying to perpetuate certain very old-school fitness myths that have since then been debunked about the way women specifically should train.

Ah good point! Seems like this really is a gym for older ladies. Honestly, being in Florida there's a lot of retirement communities and all the Curves locations seem to be close to or in those areas. I should have guessed. I'm so glad I posted this before spending any money on it, though! :smile:
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    I used to go... and felt really out of place because it was older, more out of shape women... I did like how there was a set routine and I didn't have to think about what to do and you can repeat the circuit as much as you want. Maybe you could see if you could pay for one session and try it out? One of the main reasons I joined a few years ago was because I had no car and it was on my way home from work.
  • That's what I was worried about. I'm a busy new Mommy and I'm still in pretty good shape, but I'd like to tone up. I just don't have time to go and spend hours at the gym.
    You don't have to spend hours at a time at the gym in order to tone. Try looking on bodybuilding.com. Enter your info and goals and it'll pick the best workout for you to help reach your goals. It gives demos if you don't know how to do something and it also gives some kind of meal plan on it.
    I'm on it and I love the workout it picked for me! And later on you can create your own workout. It's awesome!

I'll check out that link, thanks! The problem I'm having is getting motivated at home, though. I have plenty of the at-home DVDs that did work for me when I had someone else doing them with me. Now that I live on my own with my little family, I just can't seem to get motivated. I was hoping that by joining a gym of some sort I could not only meet people, but get a little "mommy" time. :smile:
  • nunny26
    nunny26 Posts: 1
    I recently started going to Curves, I am a very sedentary person so it helps to get my butt moving. I go before work at 6 am and there is a mixture of aged women. Going that early is a no excuse method, because when I was going at lunch time I would find excuses not to go. I do know that just doing Curves is not going to give me the results I want. I am adding walking and gonna try jogging. I have been successful with just walking and losing weight in the past, but as I have gotten older I know I need more. Now I just need to stay motivated to do more.
  • amymarie8709
    That's what I was worried about. I'm a busy new Mommy and I'm still in pretty good shape, but I'd like to tone up. I just don't have time to go and spend hours at the gym.

I'll check out that link, thanks! The problem I'm having is getting motivated at home, though. I have plenty of the at-home DVDs that did work for me when I had someone else doing them with me. Now that I live on my own with my little family, I just can't seem to get motivated. I was hoping that by joining a gym of some sort I could not only meet people, but get a little "mommy" time. :smile:

The program they picked for me is for the gym. Find a gym by you. one relatively close so you don't have an excuse not to go, and take a tour and see if you like it before you sign. And we are here to help encourage you in your journey. Add me if you'd like.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Oh and I was by far the youngest person working out. Most of the ladies were retired so that's something to consider if you're looking to make friends there.

^This! I felt out of place when I first went there. Try and find a free trial if you are still interested in Curves. It wasn't enough for me so I ended up going with Golds because they had the most classes.
  • feather314
    feather314 Posts: 97
    I was a memer years ago (when they first became very popular). It was great at first as I was out of shape and hadn't really exercised at all for some time. After a awhile it becomes mundane and you get less and less results. For someone who wants to keep progressing I really don't think it's the best option.

Also - I checked it out recently just to see what they were offering these days. They do now offer some kind of Zumba thing. I guess you do Zumba moves in between the machines??

Anyway, it's ridiculously expensive for what it is, $65 plus per month around these parts plus an exorbitant registration fee. I'm sure you can find a gym that offers more for even less than that.

I've also had friends that had a heck of a hard time leaving (because of the automated payment system and the agreement you sign). Basically if you don't pay for the full year up front, you're locked in whether you go or not.
  • Anyway, it's ridiculously expensive for what it is, $65 plus per month around these parts plus an exorbitant registration fee. I'm sure you can find a gym that offers more for even less than that.

I've also had friends that had a heck of a hard time leaving (because of the automated payment system and the agreement you sign). Basically if you don't pay for the full year up front, you're locked in whether you go or not.

Wow I had no idea! That's very good to know...thank you! :)
  • Smart_E_Pantz
    Smart_E_Pantz Posts: 13 Member
    I saw an ad for a free 30 day membership. I have been going for a week, but I do not think I will join when the 30 days are up. The hours are not really convenient and I have to do the circuit three times before I work up a good sweat and get my heart rate in fat burning mode. Given how heavy I am, that should not be the case. And the cost is ridiculous compared to other places. At the one I go to, you have to pay extra to take the Zumba class that is offered two days a week (that is on top of the monthly fee).
  • Smart_E_Pantz
    Smart_E_Pantz Posts: 13 Member

That's going to be one FIT 3-year old! :laugh:
  • amymarie8709

That's going to be one FIT 3-year old! :laugh:

LOL. I want to instill an active lifestyle in her. I see so many overweight children these days and it makes me sick to think that the parents are letting them get like this. Letting them eat what they want and let them sit in front of the tv all day long. :( When I was child, we were outside 90% of the day. I didn't feel deprived at all. Kids with cell phones by the time they're 7years old and Fb accounts. I had email when I turned 12 and I didn't get my own computer (in my room) until I was a senior in high school and that's only because my mom got a new one for herself so I got her old one.....anyway, start 'um early.