Getting started

Options
Today I decided to lose those 20 pounds that keep me from fitting into my regular sized clothes. I recently went on a trip where I had the chance to buy new clothes, and I realized I was not willing to spend even a dime on larger-than-I-need-to-be clothes! Especially while I knew I have lots of clothes hanging in my closet that are just too small for my now fat (yes I've said it about myself!) body.

I came home, made my decision to concentrate on losing 20 pounds, and then went to the market to stock up on some healthy foods. Well, except for the diet sodas that I bought, I know there is nothing "healthy" about them. ;)

Anyone else have a new mindset to lose some weight? Or, a refresher of an old mindset? What was YOUR "decision-making" point?

Replies

• leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I just needed to get healthy again. I'm diet/exercise controlled diabetic, have high b/p, and high cholesterol.

That being said, I wouldn't mind new clothes for a smaller me =)
  • Get_My_Mojo_Back
    Options
    I actually had two - my son (6yrsold) watching TV asked me if I wanted him to by me some 5-hour energy because it looks like it really works and the second was when my daughter (10yrsold) kept asking me if I was alright because she saw how sweaty and out of breath I was from doing yard work. After that I started to take notice and realized that even my wife was dropping hints that I had previously refused to recognize. Of course as the weather gets hot that when I step up, but I need to stay consistent year round.
  • WillPowerYes
    WillPowerYes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful to focus on my "reason" for wanting to loose, and then use that as a mantra in my head every time I've hungry for some unhealthy snack. I know that a serving of potato chips won't kill my diet, but if I keep my long range goal in mind, it is easier to resist the everyday temptations of junk food by looking at how having a lot of small infractions to common sense will "add up" and sabotage my goal.

Mine is "I want to fit in my nice clothes again". So I ask myself, "Which do I want more .... those chips... or that outfit??"

Do you use your "reason" as a tool? What do you put in your head when temptation calls?
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I think of a reason. I just know I have to do it. I don't constantly remind myself. I just do it. (Someone help me, I could be a Nike commercial)
  • WillPowerYes
    WillPowerYes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't have to repeat my "reason" to myself ALL the time .... just whenever I want something stupid to eat like potato chips or cookies or ........ stuff. ;)
  • xiafong
    xiafong Posts: 1
    Options
    I just had a baby 6 weeks ago, and I need to lose 40 pounds. Trying to stay focused and motivated. Some days are better than others.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I lost some weight(again) for my sons wedding . And after I started gaining it back again. I felt bad and realized I just didn't want to yo -yo anymore. I needed to get this under control. And wanted to do it before retirement age.
  • NickiTip
    NickiTip Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    similar reasons as yourself why buy next size bigger when there is a wardrobe full of smaller ones!! also been feeling bloated and lacking in energy got myself back on plan and have just re motivated myself! I keep making smaller goals which helps you get to the larger one the current one is to loose 14lbs before July !!
    :wink: