Earning My Calories!

Options
Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering, when it comes to "earning" the extra calories by doing cardio or excercise...is this really beneficial to consume those extra calories? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of exercising? I'm confused!

Replies

• Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    When you fill out your initial info and how much you want to lose per week when you first sign up, My fitness pal automatically factors in a deficit in calories. So whatever you're calorie intake is supposed to be, just know that based on your BMR (how many calories you would burn if you were to lay in bed all day) MFP has done the work for you and you just follow the plan!

Not eating your exercise calories would increase the deficit and while tempting, will not help you in the long run. Your body needs fuel for those workouts and eating will also increase your metabolism, which in turn burns more calories!

Hope this makes sense! Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • blakgarnet
    Options
    you don't want your body to be in starvation mode and hang on to fat since your depriving it of the added nutrition it needs to compensate for your work outs. I log the calories the machines at the gym tell me I burn, but I try not to eat all (may 60%) of them since those machines tend to be wrong. when I get HRM I'll be more comfortable eating exercise calories.
  • sikorak
    sikorak Posts: 13
    Options
    Did you ever wonder why you eat more when you exercise more?

Well this is why and MFP has already done all the work for you so yes it's ok and actually to your benefit to eat those extra exercise calories!

284863.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    All you need to know is that it works. We're already restricting our calories just by following MFP, you don't want to restrict them to the point your body is suffering. I eat what I burn off, and I've lost 36 pounds since June.
  • danarochelle
    danarochelle Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. I have actually been cutting down on my carbs and I've seen a difference just in the last week, 4 pounds. However, I don't starve myself and I usually eat my exercise calories unless I'm not hungry and if I do eat after my workouts, it's usually protein.

Good luck and welcome to MFP!!!:drinker:
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I had UPed my carbs in the last two weeks and I have lost 6 pounds, so there are many different things you can do if something isnt working for you . But eat your exercise calories, THAT I can say works...