Gym scale and at home scale difference

Hey all...I'm having a huge issue with my weight difference on scales.

My home scale (Digital) tells me I'm around 241-242 lbs. when I weigh in every morning. This scale is about 2 years old.

When I go to the gym, run for an hour, and then weight myself (balance scale), I'm around 248-250 lbs.

Why such a huge difference!? Should I be going by my home scale or the gym scale?

Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Theres a 4lb difference between my scale and my doctors scale, use only one scale be it the gym or home and weigh in weekly at the same time hopefully you'll see more consistency that way. Also everyone has daily fluctuations with their weight and you can retain water after workouts, try not to weigh yourself so often.
  • wed30
    wed30 Posts: 47 Member
    It's frustrating to weigh at home and then weigh more at the Drs. office.
  • adamsurpren
    adamsurpren Posts: 53
    Well I've been weighing myself so much to try and find some sort of consistency in my weight. And I don't want to choose one or the other because they are so vastly different, I dont want my calorie intake/goals to be skewed because it's calculating that off a wrong weight. Same thing with running on the treadmill, I don't want to tell it I weigh X, have it tell me I burned X calories, when really it's more/less because I put the wrong weight in! Ughhhh!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Gym and doctors scales can go off calibrations. I am always resetting calibration at our gym scale.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    I would use one or the other--probably the home scale.

I always weigh at the Y...my kids manage to break every scale I have owned. I wear the same type outfit every time ( I have 2 pair of shorts and like 4 tank tops) and weigh in at the same time of day. I eat the same breakfast. Just for giggles and grins I weighed myself before AND after my workout yesterday. I was 214.4 before 65 minutes of cardio and 25 minutes of weight training...afterwards I was an even 215. Apparently my bottle of water weighs 0.6 pounds!
  • p_funk
    p_funk Posts: 22 Member
    Do not use two different scales to weigh yourself, it is that simple. Just like everyone else has said, you will get two different readings this way. I would stick to the one at your house because more than likely the one at your gym is off. Using just the one scale will give you the consistency in your weight that you are looking for. I have always been told it is best to weigh yourself, and get a heighth reading as soon as you wake up in the mornin. As the day goes on, you shrink a little and you eat more. Just my opinion, but you should stick to just one scale.
  • fontinathefox
    fontinathefox Posts: 124 Member
    I've been told by my personal trainer to weigh myself before doing any exercise, as working your muscles for an extended period can give a higher reading. Maybe try that next time?
  • adamsurpren
    adamsurpren Posts: 53
    I guess home scale it is! :o)

Thanks for all the replies.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    I would just use whatever scale you normally use for recording your weight. Scales will be off (this mornign I did my weight at home and it was 3lbs less than the Doctors scale 1.5 hours later). Weight fluctuates throughout the day which can account for some of the difference.