Weight Loss Rut

Options
Hi all,

Last November my weight went up to 10 stone 4 (I'm 5'3 and 22) which is an 'overweight' BMI. I didn't begin a diet but started taking notice of what I was eating and tried to cut out some of my snacks (I tend to eat a couple of chocolate bars a day).

After getting down to 9 stone 3 a month ago I'm currently around the 9 stone 5 mark and would like to lose another stone overall but am finding it impossible to shift any more weight and am actually gaining.

I was doing a lot of jogging which probably helped me lose the weight initially but I have developed tendonitis in my knee meaning that any exercise beyond 20-30 minutes walking per day isn't feasible. I generally eat between 1200 and 1500 calories per day although I tend to have the odd blow out as I tell myself this will stop my body getting used to low calorie intake and slowing down my metabolism (not sure if this is just me making excuses to eat more!).

My diet isn't particularly healthy- bran flakes in the morning, ham or cheese and pickle sandwich for lunch and usually fishcakes and chips or something similar for dinner, but I do have smallish portions. My main weakness is snacking as I feel I need to have something sweet after each meal. I'm currently studying for my PhD as well as doing extra work on top so I don't have time to do a lot of cooking, or a lot of money for food shopping.

The thing is, I'm short and not huge in the first place so it's very hard to create a calorie deficit when you're unable to exercise. My boyfriend went on a diet for a week and lost 11 pound, but it took me almost 6 months to do the same!

Any advice appreciated. I'm going on holiday mid-July and had set a target of 8 stone 10, but I don't see how I can make this now.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi all,

Last November my weight went up to 10 stone 4 (I'm 5'3 and 22) which is an 'overweight' BMI. I didn't begin a diet but started taking notice of what I was eating and tried to cut out some of my snacks (I tend to eat a couple of chocolate bars a day).

After getting down to 9 stone 3 a month ago I'm currently around the 9 stone 5 mark and would like to lose another stone overall but am finding it impossible to shift any more weight and am actually gaining.

I was doing a lot of jogging which probably helped me lose the weight initially but I have developed tendonitis in my knee meaning that any exercise beyond 20-30 minutes walking per day isn't feasible. I generally eat between 1200 and 1500 calories per day although I tend to have the odd blow out as I tell myself this will stop my body getting used to low calorie intake and slowing down my metabolism (not sure if this is just me making excuses to eat more!).

My diet isn't particularly healthy- bran flakes in the morning, ham or cheese and pickle sandwich for lunch and usually fishcakes and chips or something similar for dinner, but I do have smallish portions. My main weakness is snacking as I feel I need to have something sweet after each meal. I'm currently studying for my PhD as well as doing extra work on top so I don't have time to do a lot of cooking, or a lot of money for food shopping.

The thing is, I'm short and not huge in the first place so it's very hard to create a calorie deficit when you're unable to exercise. My boyfriend went on a diet for a week and lost 11 pound, but it took me almost 6 months to do the same!

Any advice appreciated. I'm going on holiday mid-July and had set a target of 8 stone 10, but I don't see how I can make this now.

Well first, your boyfriend probably had a lot of weight to lose in the first place and I can bet you, it was 99% water weight. In order to lose 11 lbs of fat, you would need to burn 38,500 calories more than you intake.

Second, you are pretty small @ 133 lbs, so your weight loss is going to be very slow. Based on your stats, your estimate BMR is 1426. BMR = metabolic rate or the amount of calories you would burn if you slept for 24 hours straighting.Now lets look at your caloric needs based on your estimate TDEE.

TDEE= 1426 * 1.2 = 1711

Now with your exercise, lets say you exercise and burn 300 calories.

TDEE = 1711 + 300 = 2011

And you form a deficit from there

2011*.8 = 1608

I would put you around 1600 calories a day. Also, at your stage, you should look to cut fat instead of weight. And you cut fat by doing strength training. In fact, if you are going to do any exercise, I would do resistance training over cardio. BTW, as you develop your muscles to increase strength, it will help support your joints and ligaments and help your tendinitis. I sure helped mine.

If you can, do 3 days of heavy lifting (failing around 8-12 reps) and 2 days of cardio. And not to burst your bubble, but it wont' be easy to lose 10 lbs by mid july. It's really not feasible without extreme dieting and hurting yourself long term. But below is a thread to show you, what happens when you concentrate on body recomposition instead of weight loss.

And as I always say, weight loss makes you look good in clothes, but fat loss makes you look good naked.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat

=
  • MrsRoundbottom
    Options
    Hi there,

Well let me tell you if you stik at it, the weight will come off, I used to be exactly the same as you where i would crave sweet things (chocolate, sweets, biscuits) pretty much everytime i was hungry or after every meal.

But I realised that was becuase that was I had always eaten, I was used to have a few biccies with a cuppa, and a dessert after dinner, its a habit a routine almost, although I still treat myself sometimes I have managed to train my tastebuds by not eating sweet all the time, not adding sweetener to tea or cereal, trying to cut out ANYTHING that tasted sweet for 2 weeks.

Believe me it is well worth it, it kills any cravings! Then you can choose when YOU want to treat yourself instead of craving all the time.

Try eating fruit, or raw veggies to snack on instead, crackers with philli or something with peanut butter instead, go savoury your body & energy levels & mood will imrove without the highs & lows of blood sugar levels.
  • LadyBoo89
    LadyBoo89 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks for your advice :) I guess it's just a case of persevering. Previously I was eating a low amount of calories but of unhealthy foods and felt a bit rubbish, and I'm trying to replace this with healthy meals so maybe I should focus on this rather than the number on the scale.

@Psulemon - how did you find exercising with your tendinitis? I have only just started treatment and have been advised not to do any cardio other than a small amount of walking. I will definitely try sarm weights, and ab exercises, but would I be able to do leg exercises (e.g. squates, lunges) with my tendinitis? It's mainly my upper thighs and hip/waist area that I want to tone up.

@Mrsroundbotto- I'm glad it's not just me - I try to eat fruit but I usually end up just having fruit and then an unhealthy snack! I have a terrible sweet tooth and unfortunately not much willpower!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks for your advice :) I guess it's just a case of persevering. Previously I was eating a low amount of calories but of unhealthy foods and felt a bit rubbish, and I'm trying to replace this with healthy meals so maybe I should focus on this rather than the number on the scale.

@Psulemon - how did you find exercising with your tendinitis? I have only just started treatment and have been advised not to do any cardio other than a small amount of walking. I will definitely try sarm weights, and ab exercises, but would I be able to do leg exercises (e.g. squates, lunges) with my tendinitis? It's mainly my upper thighs and hip/waist area that I want to tone up.

@Mrsroundbotto- I'm glad it's not just me - I try to eat fruit but I usually end up just having fruit and then an unhealthy snack! I have a terrible sweet tooth and unfortunately not much willpower!

it was painful at first, but over time it slowly started to go away. I still have it in my wrist so I limit the amount of yoga I do. I would talk to your doctor about doing strength training and maybe start out a bit light and slowly increasing your weights so you get lower reps (8-12). Once your strength builds up, it should help support your body. This is also what I did when I tore my MCL.