177 pounds to loose!!! tips would be brilliant

Options
I am 23 years old an i currently weigh 352lbs and want to be at least 175lbs, so basically i want to loose half of me! However cause of my height (6ft1), people think I weigh 20stone, but even that makes me physically sick and sad.

I have been overweight since a was little and have always been bullied due to my weight, and even at 23 it still happens at work :mad: . I think this has hindered my weight loss as I am an emotional eater. And due to this I have put things off in my life due to how a look and feel, I guess cause am starting university in September a finally need to get my *kitten* in gear and loose this weight and live a healthy life.

I have just started the 30 day shred by jillian michaels after reading what people have said on here about her dvds. :heart:

A guess what am scared about the most is saggy skin. I have seen things on tv where people have lost so much weight and have had to get surgery and I dont want to go through that.

Has any1 lost near or more than my target weight and if so anything like bad saggy skin?? and do u have tips to help me along the road would b fabulous :happy:

Replies

• alg121710
    alg121710 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've lost 100 pounds over the course of almost 2 years and I'm still losing...and I don't have any noticeable saggy skin. Here are my tips - lose the weight slowly, strength train and drink plenty of water. You're so young your skin will tighten up after losing weight. I used to worry about saggy skin but not any more, really - being healthy and thin(ner) is a much better feeling : )
  • diemodemdie
    diemodemdie Posts: 37
    Options
    Well, first, congrats on taking those first few steps to make yourself a new you. Most people don't even make it this far, so the fact you're taking initiative and actually ASKING FOR HELP and not just expecting a miracle is great. :smile:

Second, I have not lost anywhere near what you need to lose, so I apologize for not having any insight into that. I can give you some generalized tips, though. I know that saggy skin is usually dependent on your body composition. If your body is flabby or fat, then you will likely have saggy skin. If it's more "thick" than fat, then your skin will likely have more elasticity.

Seeing as how you said you're an emotional eater, I'm inclined to think it was the former. I do not have any idea on how to make this go away if such is the case, but likely a fellow fitness pal on here could straighten you out.

If you need help with dieting or exercise, well, I think we'd need a bit more information on here. Perhaps your body fat %, your typical day to day activity, and any other health concerns (high blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol, etc.) That way, we can gauge what types of things you can eat or how hard you can push yourself! I completely understand if you feel this is too personal, so you can also just send me a private message to sort it out.

The simplest start is just get yourself moving. Park further away when you go to the store so you have to walk a bit further. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Go for a walk every day - 30 mins will do wonders to clear your head and get your heart pumpin'! Things like the extra physical activity will be hard, but I know you're determined, so persevere and I promise it will get easier!

What you are undertaking is not easy. I won't lie and say it's as simple as falling off a log. It's going to take dedication, sweat, maybe even some tears... but know that for every bead of sweat shed, for every sore muscle, for every tear drop, it was all in the name of making yourself healthier and the person you want to be!

I know you can get there - all it takes is that first step.

Please, feel free to add me if you wish. :smile:
  • ribena1958
    ribena1958 Posts: 152
    Options
    Well done for finding yourself here, you will get a lot of support you only have to ask. My son is 26 and has lost 10 stone, you can befriend him, just put in the message that you know me..........or he won't accept you. He will help I am sure. There is no magic cure, I have lost a lot too, but you need to find a plan that you can stick too. Never think of it as a DIET, its a complete change of eating for life. Finding lower options of your fav foods for example, never said you cannot eat anything that you like again...........but in moderation and as a now and again treat, if you cut everything out, you won't stick to it, remember, this is for life long. GOOD LUCK,
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    The best 'tip' that I can offer you is to simply work at it. You won't lose 177# overnight, in a week, or a month... BUT as long as you are working at it you will lose SOME in that amount of time.
    Also,
    Don't deprive yourself of the things you love to eat, just eat a bit less. Don't kill yourself with exercise, but definately aim to do SOMETHING each day. Water is your friend not your enemy. Drinking it does so many great things for your body and aids in weight loss. Block out the nay-sayers. You will always have someone saying "Should you eat that?" "Have a treat" or giving you whatever 'great advice' they have at the moment. Focus on YOU, where YOU want to be, and YOUR health... no one else matters when it comes to your weight loss in the long run. Not your co-workers, not your significant other, not your dear old granny. Only YOU can make this happen for YOU. I wish you the best of luck in all your efforts. Just being HERE is testiment to how much you want to make a change in your life for the better! :flowerforyou:
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I am 23 years old an i currently weigh 352lbs and want to be at least 175lbs, so basically i want to loose half of me! However cause of my height (6ft1), people think I weigh 20stone, but even that makes me physically sick and sad.

I have been overweight since a was little and have always been bullied due to my weight, and even at 23 it still happens at work :mad: . I think this has hindered my weight loss as I am an emotional eater. And due to this I have put things off in my life due to how a look and feel, I guess cause am starting university in September a finally need to get my *kitten* in gear and loose this weight and live a healthy life.

I have just started the 30 day shred by jillian michaels after reading what people have said on here about her dvds. :heart:

A guess what am scared about the most is saggy skin. I have seen things on tv where people have lost so much weight and have had to get surgery and I dont want to go through that.

Has any1 lost near or more than my target weight and if so anything like bad saggy skin?? and do u have tips to help me along the road would b fabulous :happy:

You are pretty much just like me when I was 23 - I weighed nearly 300 at 6' 3". (which, by the way, was 20 years ago), but you are a far wiser man than I. I didn't get in touch with the fat kid that got beat up until more than ten years after you did, and it was a tough row. I'm 43 now, and deeply regret those wasted years often. That's over two decades I could have been happier, healthier, and more active.

I helped a good friend get down from 350 to half-marathon running shape, and he did have an issue with loose skin for a while (as did I). But with some light strength training and toning the skin tightened back up. If you lose it slowly and naturally as MFP will guide you to do, loose skin should not be a real problem for you.

I've still got some moobage going on, and a bit of a potbelly, but that's the last 15 pounds holding on stubbornly - the skin isn't loose/flappy. Weight training has helped ensure there's a little muscle definition going on under there so when the fat finally goes away I probably won't have a 6-pack but I'll at least be rid of the keg.
  • liam_2903
    liam_2903 Posts: 11
    Options
    thank u every1 for the great advice means the world to me :happy:
  • liam_2903
    liam_2903 Posts: 11
    Options

You are pretty much just like me when I was 23 - I weighed nearly 300 at 6' 3". (which, by the way, was 20 years ago), but you are a far wiser man than I. I didn't get in touch with the fat kid that got beat up until more than ten years after you did, and it was a tough row. I'm 43 now, and deeply regret those wasted years often. That's over two decades I could have been happier, healthier, and more active.

I helped a good friend get down from 350 to half-marathon running shape, and he did have an issue with loose skin for a while (as did I). But with some light strength training and toning the skin tightened back up. If you lose it slowly and naturally as MFP will guide you to do, loose skin should not be a real problem for you.

I've still got some moobage going on, and a bit of a potbelly, but that's the last 15 pounds holding on stubbornly - the skin isn't loose/flappy. Weight training has helped ensure there's a little muscle definition going on under there so when the fat finally goes away I probably won't have a 6-pack but I'll at least be rid of the keg.

Thank u and hopefully i wont be as bad skin wise just like u. thats what i pray for everynight haha