Finished the Race

Options
debmac63
debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
My husband and I ran our first 5k this morning!:happy: I finished 36th out of 85 runners with a time of 31:17. To everyone out there that thinks they can't do this, you are wrong. A year ago when I decided I wanted to run a 5k I weighed 215 pounds and really figured it was just a pipe dream. I now weigh 172 and finished the run without walking any of it! I am now looking forward to my next 5k and more weight off this body.

To anyone training to run your first 5k...hang in there. All the running in the cold, the rain, and the heat pays off when you cross that finish line and know that you accomplished something that you've never done before.

Replies

• silvertears
    silvertears Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Congrats! :drinker:

My sister and I walked the Race for the Cure this morning and said that we want to run it next year. She's already doing C25K, but I have a way to go before I feel that running is a good idea for me. But I definitely am going to get there!
  • drtamm
    drtamm Posts: 427
    Options
    Congrats to you both! I have learned that keeping a race on my schedule keeps me motivated to run in any weather. I completed my first race a 10K in March, I jogged the whole thing. Its nothing like keeping your body moving!!! Great job ladies!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I think I'm going to run my first 5K on 11/21 of this year. I'm pretty excited about it!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

00020354.gif
  • feel_the_love
    Options
    This is awesome. I want to be able to run a 5k with ease some day. Great Job :flowerforyou:
  • Cariñosita
    Cariñosita Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I ran my first 5K last year and had about the same time you did. I plan to do one or two in November and want my time to be under 30.....even if it's 29:59. But I know it's going to be cold.
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Awesome job! :laugh:
  • itsmenatalie
    itsmenatalie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's a huge success.
  • LittleEva44
    Options
    My husband and I ran our first 5k this morning!:happy: I finished 36th out of 85 runners with a time of 31:17. To everyone out there that thinks they can't do this, you are wrong. A year ago when I decided I wanted to run a 5k I weighed 215 pounds and really figured it was just a pipe dream. I now weigh 172 and finished the run without walking any of it! I am now looking forward to my next 5k and more weight off this body.

To anyone training to run your first 5k...hang in there. All the running in the cold, the rain, and the heat pays off when you cross that finish line and know that you accomplished something that you've never done before.

Congrats! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I am training myself to jog/run :bigsmile: I run/jog 2 miles during my lunch hour M/W/F. One of these days I'll run/walk a 5k, too. Blessings!

Eva
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    Congratulations! Way to go on your accomplishment and thanks for showing everyone It can be done. With hard work we get stronger every day. When I started this journey a little less than a year ago at 319 lbs I could not even dream of walking a 5k. I have since run 6 with my most recent being 24:04. Everyone should know that anything is possible. Congratulations to you.

:drinker:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What a great job! I'm planning on running a 5k on November 28. I doubt I'll do as good as you but I'll be happy just to finish it. :bigsmile:
  • debmac63
    Options
    Congratulations! What a great job! I'm planning on running a 5k on November 28. I doubt I'll do as good as you but I'll be happy just to finish it. :bigsmile:

thanks for the encouragement guys...

Betty, you will do better than you think. When you are out there running along with all the other people you just seem to keep going. I finished 30 seconds faster than my own personal pr and I think that's because you're out there running with so many other people. Good luck, have fun, and let us know how you did. I'm already trying to find another one to do in maybe a couple of months. We'll see since it's going to be winter where I'm at but you never know.
  • threeupthreedown
    Options
    C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S!!!!
    YOU and your DH totally rock!!!
    I know the feeling.
    I did my first 10 kms race on Saturday - 90 minutes.
    I did a 5 kms race on Sunday - 40 minutes.
    Oh what a feeling!!!!
    Right?
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I've run two 5ks now but with higher times - last one was 36:39 - hope to get down to 30
  • debmac63
    Options
    C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S!!!!
    YOU and your DH totally rock!!!
    I know the feeling.
    I did my first 10 kms race on Saturday - 90 minutes.
    I did a 5 kms race on Sunday - 40 minutes.
    Oh what a feeling!!!!
    Right?

Yes, Oh what a feeling! I've never done anything challenging or competitive in my life and I loved it. I knew I wouldn't come in first place or anything but just going out and doing the best I could was such an awesome feeling.
  • debmac63
    Options
    I've run two 5ks now but with higher times - last one was 36:39 - hope to get down to 30

You will...the more my husband and I run the more endurance we get. I'm sure it won't be long and you'll be posting the numbers you want!:smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!