polycystic ovaries

Options
Hi all,

I have polycystic ovaries and my GP says that my weight problem is linked to it. Anyone else on here have it and have any good tips for losing weight?

Thanks

Replies

• kbarthol
    kbarthol Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello! I was diagnosed with PCOS about a year ago. It has opened my eyes as to how my body functions and why all my workouts and eating healthier doesn't affect my weight loss a bit!

All of the books I have read suggest 1 protein gram for every 2 grams of carbs you eat. That concept was hard and I was never able to stick with it (I'm Italian...very tough!).

I just got Bob Harper's Skinny Rules book and I think that was the breakthrough I needed to have a set rule about eating carbs (none after lunch and no refined flour - whole grain only). I just started eating the new way yesterday, so results will be slow but I truly think I'm on the way.

Hope that helps! Hang in there!
    Kristen
  • hightopps
    hightopps Posts: 26
    Options
    Hello! I have PCOS as well. I've found that cutting back on white grains (and opting instead for whole grains) has really made a big difference in my weight loss.

Good luck!
  • violethaze
    violethaze Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi! I have PCOS too - the main things to watch are carbs and sugar. Protein is your friend.

Years of yo yo dieting have shown me that PCOS means you may not see the results you think you deserve after a really good week, but don't let it get you down - the weight might come off more slowly, but it will come off if you eat the right foods. Crash dieting is not the answer - slowly but surely, with a high protein diet, and you'll see results that you can maintain :)
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    I also have PCOS. Weight does come off more slowly, but slow and steady win the race. Just eat as clean as possible and that helps. Cutting back my carbs somewhat always makes me feel better overall, but it is so hard to do. I try to start off my morning every morning with a protein shake (low-carb of course) and that really helps with my energy levels throughout that day. :)
  • ralh
    ralh Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks all x
  • shannyfro
    shannyfro Posts: 641
    Options
    Hey, I have PCOS as well. It is very difficult to deal with but they do say it gets better if you can lose the weight. Feel free to add me as a friend! God bless!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I don't have PCOS, but I have been diagnosed with insulin resistance, which is very common in women with PCOS. Eating a *normal* amount of carbs turns me into the pillsbury dough boy.

When I was first diagnosed, my PCP told me to cut my net carbs down to 50g a day. That means that I can subtract fiber and sugar alcohols from my daily carbs ( so I might be eating more like 75-90g of carbs a day). I followed that plan for about 8 weeks and lost about 20 pounds AND got pregnant with my youngest child. I fully believe that the IR was causing infertility problems as I had not been on birth control for 16 months when I got pregnant.

You might want to get your hands on a copy of an Atkins book...you don't have to follow it to the letter, but there is some very interesting and important info in it. I liked that there were sample menu makeovers in there showing how you could eat a higher volume of yummy real food on their plan, and still lose weight. It also goes into the science of your metabolism.