Running shoes giving me BLISTERS??

Options
I have had these Asics shoes for about 1.5 years. I ran track in them and ran all summer in them as well. They never gave me problems before, and now they are giving me huge blisters on the arches of my feet. I don't know if it is due to the fact that they are old, but I need help! I have tried putting band-aids on them, but they just rub off when I am running! Please help!

Replies

• Bretthunt
    Bretthunt Posts: 5
    Options
    Probably time for new shoes after 1.5 years. But, for the blisters, try Wright socks, they have two layers and totally eliminated my blisters.
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Get new shoes! I got in trouble with my running coach for having 6 month old shoes! No more than 500 miles on a pair of shoes for running/fast walking! Also try body glide - not sure if it'll help but it's worth a shot. Also, make sure you've got good socks - I like the kind that wrap tightly around the arch of my foot.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need new shoes. In the meantime, if the blisters are always in the same place, try putting moleskin over to stop the rubbing.
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I just got some socks that help that kind of thing.

Not tried them out yet but have a look out for something similar?
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    http://running.about.com/od/shoesapparelandgear/f/replaceshoes.htm

According to this website you should be replacing your shoes every 300 - 400 miles (483-644 km).
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    i would seriously recommend new running shoes, but if you don't want to do that, at least get yourself a pair of gel inserts... new running socks made a big difference for me when i was getting blisters, but i had newer shoes. best wishes!
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Your runners are way past their life expectancy! 6 months of daily use is a good benchmark for replacing them! Yes it may be expensive but is the pain worth it if you don't?
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    you have had your running shoes for 1.5 years? wow

get news ones, get fitted for them and wear wicking socks.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I know they're expensive, but YEAH it's time for new shoes...make sure you get fitted at a good running specialty store too. I was running in the wrong size until I went to someplace better than you typical big box athletic store!
  • tikikris
    tikikris Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yep, absolutely get new shoes. And I suggest going to a running store for a fit. Price doesn't matter--get the shoes that fit you best and feel comfortable, so try on several pairs. Good socks are a must. I like Thorlos.
  • designsbybriana
    designsbybriana Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You need new shoes. 6 months is what they recommend. Also if you go to a good running store - they will recommend you go up a 1/2 size because after you run your foot expands. Good luck!!
  • char3200
    char3200 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Running shoes are supposed to be replaced every 300 miles. I have multiple pairs that I use and then when they've hit that 'I'm done' mark, they become gardening shoes.
    There are even sites that will keep track of the miles on your shoes for you. You just log in how many miles you've run in each pair and replace accordingly.
    I also agree that great socks do wonders!!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    As a stop gap until you get new shoes, tape the bit of your foot that is getting blistered with some zinc sports tape (usually stocked in chemists/pharmacies and sports shops for strapping up knees etc). Dead cheap and stays in place better. Just tape straight on to the skin. Also try rubbing some surgical spirit on the skin - toughens it up to prevent blisters.

After years of hiking and suffering blisters, these are my favourite tricks.
  • LeanMeanFitnessMachine
    Options
    They say if you actively wear your sneaks on a daily basis, then you should replace them every 6-8 months. Thats what my podiatrist told me.
  • SiberianHusky747
    Options
    I guess that is the first thing on my list then: get new shoes and socks! Haha! Thank you everyone!
  • Ladyravenwyn
    Options
    I am a personal trainer and gym owner and I would totally get new shoes! Roadrunnersports.com has great shoes, and you can input in what type of foot you have, as in no arch, high arch, etc., and the program will tell you what type of shoe you need, Stability, cross trainer etc., The other thing I recommend, and it has worked for every person I have told about it is an AVON product, yes I said AVON, it is in their Foot Works line and is called Friction Control Anti-blister balm. I have used it for any place I might get a blister or on my little toes where I am prone to getting corns. Socks are important too, be sure the don't slip down as you run, this happens quite a bit with the low rise style. In addition, stop and re-tie your shoes from time to time. If they loosen as you run, your feet can slide forward and repeatedly hit the toe of the shoe. This can cause black toe nail. Hope this helps, good luck :)
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    As a stop gap until you get new shoes, tape the bit of your foot that is getting blistered with some zinc sports tape (usually stocked in chemists/pharmacies and sports shops for strapping up knees etc). Dead cheap and stays in place better. Just tape straight on to the skin. Also try rubbing some surgical spirit on the skin - toughens it up to prevent blisters.

After years of hiking and suffering blisters, these are my favourite tricks.

Probably could use new shoes as others mentioned, but also the tip about tape can work until then. I have to tape some of my toes to prevent blisters in my cleats, and it stays in place much better than band-aids ever did, because the tape goes all the way around and sticks to itself (not just trying to stick to sweaty skin). Though, if I don't wrap enough around, sometimes the tape still rolls itself off.
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Probably time for new shoes after 1.5 years. But, for the blisters, try Wright socks, they have two layers and totally eliminated my blisters.

exactly what I was going to say! Go get fitted for shoes (or if you have been fitted already, order one of the suggested pairs). And get some wright socks...they are awesome!
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't think it's the shoes. Has your routine changed? Is it more humid out? Are you wearing good socks? Those are the things that I find give you blisters. As for how to deal with them, try using one of the rub-on gel products that you can find at any athletic/running store.

"Running shoes wear out after 300-500 miles" is a bunch of crap. So what if the cushioning wears out? The softness of your shoes either doesn't help at all or is actually harmful (as a lot of recent information is showing). There's not even a plausible reason for replacing them. You know when I've gotten the vast majority of running injuries / blisters? Right after buying a new pair of shoes, not surprisingly.

My own shoes are around 4 years old and I know plenty of runners who wear shoes even older.