Insantiy... How big is tooo big to try insanity???

Options
Im trying to get some feedback from those of you who have done insanity or are doing it now. How big do you think is too big to try it?

Replies

• BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i would like to know too. :)
  • LatinaPuppyLover
    Options
    I tried it at 230 ish and it was too much for me... but I would say as long as you feel comfortable doing it, is a personal decicion. I would love to try it again, but insanity is definately not the place to start off... I am currently doing turbo jam and I love it! and I'm still not ready for insanity../
  • pregmeg119
    pregmeg119 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a "too big" size. Everyone can do it, you just may have to build up your endurance and take frequent breaks. I would suggest Jillian Michaels 30DS prior to Insanity but so long as you are confident and determined you can do anything you want!

Everyone has to start somewhere. Good luck!
  • MandyMarie01
    MandyMarie01 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    i started out at 202 with insanity and got to around 195 by the end of it. I'm now doing asylum and I'm at 197 now :( but I know I'm getting stronger.

I've seen youtube videos of people heavier than me doing Insanity so I think just as long as you have a good heart, good knees, good back you'll be fine :)
  • lambeas
    lambeas Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Insanity is for anyone and everyone.

I have done it three times and it is challenge every time. The key thing about Insanity, is you push yourself and use your own body weight as resistance. I say go for it! Everytime you do it, you will get a little better and be able to push a little harder.

Just do your best.. and sometime you have to go at your own pace, not Shawn T's.... but do it... you will see/feel results city.

Oh and after three rounds, there are still some moves that I just cannot get through at "insanity speed"
  • blondejester
    Options
    i haven't done it but judging by what i've seen on tv and stuff, i don't think anyone is "too big" to try it! maybe you should be comfortable with basic excersies (try jillian michaels) just to get a bit stronger if you don't think you're ready for it. good luck!
  • JeanniebeanL79
    JeanniebeanL79 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have tried Insanity at around 185 and I found it difficult but you just do it at your own level, you are still burning a ton of calories and feel great after! KOGA is awesome, it is a mix between kickboxing and yoga, that is what i do and have lost almost 30 pounds since january...it tones and burns! good luck!
  • kimberlydawn36
    kimberlydawn36 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a size requirement ladies as long as you put your heart and soul in it you'll get results......I am 189 lbs and just started p90x now granted I struggle with it but I don't give up. I am a firm believer in perseverance.....yes it may be hard in the beginning but as you work at it...It will get easier. Good luck!
  • SkylinkFitness
    Options
    Hi aleshamariese! I'm on Day 60 of Insanity today! Only a cuople more days left! I'm not sure there needs to be a cut-off in terms of being "too big" to start Insanity. Yes, it's an extremely tough, mentally and physically challenging program but you can always modify and go at your own pace. Shaun T is a GREAT motivator and will really push you to dig deep and work hard. If you're ready to make a committment to push play for 60 days and try to eat clean, then I'd say go for it! You won't be disappointed after 60 days, that's for sure! :) Just my $0.02!
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I started Insanity on Monday, and I will say that it is the hardest thing I have ever done! This comes from a person who just ran a half marathon a few weeks ago. With that being said, size may not matter too much because you can modify most of the exercises. I do believe, however, that you need to have more than a little experience with exercising before jumping right into Insanity.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    No size is too large to try, but I will encourage you (if you have not done so) to check in with your doctor and just make sure you are overall healthy enough to push yourself really hard. Just to be on the safe side.

If you already get an annual physical and your doc hasn't mentioned anything, then you're probably good. If (like me) you've avoided the doc for a while (I got sick of the weight lecture year after year after year, and stupidly stayed away for a long time, as in decades), it's worth getting to know your doc again and just making sure you're good to go.
  • scottf28
    scottf28 Posts: 2
    Options
    After 2 weeks of doing it I see large amount of improvement but it will always be challenging because its about pushing your limits, as a previous poster said as long as you have a good heart, knees and back go for it and remember to push your self for results.
  • motherucker
    Options
    I'm currently on week three of Insanity and Shaun T is very motivating. He says don't compromise form and go at your own pace, but he also says "dig in!" so no matter what pace you are going, JUST KEEP GOING! And this is one of those programs that is going to give you results, but the scale won't show it right away... which can feel frustrating. But you'll see the results when you keep your pace longer or you do more or you stretch further. I recommend it for ANY size person (the people in the video take breaks! Shaun T takes breaks!). The feeling of accomplishment (and relief) that you feel when you're done is SO worth the struggle.
  • gomezgirl76
    gomezgirl76 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Im on day 40 of Insanity...my starting weight was 232lbs and I am at 222lbs now!!! I will say...it is hard! Especially us big gurls with junk in our trunk!!! But....doing it at your own pace is better than not doing it at all!!!!! Good Luck!!!!:wink:
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Some people start with 30DS or Insanity ....... three years ago I started just walking around the block, hoping I wouldn't have a freaking heart attack LOL ....... now I'm going to the gym 5-6 days a week for cardio, weights, yoga, Zumba ...... and loving it !

We're all capable of more than we think we are ....... just start something !
  • Lindsay0405
    Lindsay0405 Posts: 21
    Options
    I weighted 215 when I started Insanity and just finished it and weigh 202... I lost 12 lbs and a total of 18.5 inches during Insanity.
    I had lost around 40 lbs prior to starting Insanity and had been working out for about 90 days. It was hard but you can get through it if you really want too. The last few weeks were HARD for me, it was a struggle but I did it and got Insane results. Good luck!
  • kaigausista
    kaigausista Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Started insanity at 203lbs. Am on Day 21 and so far haven't missed a day. On my first fit test I couldn't do a pushup and now I'm able to do 4 pushups without stopping but of course had to rest before doing another set. Week one was tough as I wasn't much of a fitness/workout person but kept pushing myself. The difference I saw so far, is that I'm able to do certain moves which I couldn't do before. I'm able to push through the first round of warm up without stopping except on high knees. It's a small progress but to me it's such great achievement. Whey protein after my workout really helps reduce the soreness and kept me ready for the next day. In my experience so far, it's hard but keep 'pressing play', keep the form, rest when you need to but keep pushing and every next day I do the workout I see that I have gained more energy and more strength to pull through certain workouts. Right now it's my nutrition that I need to work on. I do still have one cheat day and am currently doing Slimming World for my nutrition. For this week though I'll try the insanity nutrition and see if that'll help with the weight loss. I'm losing 1lb a week (not much but something) and having 1 cheat day a week.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm 152 pounds and half ran half marathons, done JM 30 Day Shred, spent time in the gym, etc...and I couldn't make it through the INSANITY fit test the first time because I ended up throwing up. It's one hell of a workout but you can always back off and go at your own pace. You can do it no matter where your fitness level is at (not saying you will complete every exercise, but you will live). The only thing is you need to have good knees and take precautions in recovery (supplement, Epsom salt baths, good stretching, etc).
  • greggags2
    greggags2 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have seen big people do both Insanity and P90X. They just modify the moves so they can push themselves and once they improve they are able to do the full moves
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can be too big (as long as you can move without assistance) you'll just do A LOT of modification.