Protein Shakes

Options
I'm looking for a really good protein drink, or shake or something.. I need more protein and I need to eat breakfast. So does anyone know of any really good, Cheap, shakes or something I could have for breakfast? Ensure looks good but I can't spend much.. and they come in pack of 4.. I don't like eating in the morning when I wake up because it makes me feel sick.. I'd like to have a drink I could take to work with me too..

Replies

• steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting protein powder, and making your own shakes. Its cheaper in the long run, and its got more protein and better nutrition, generally speaking. I use Pure Protein powder, you can get at walmart or target, its 20 bucks for a 2lb tub, which will last forever!!!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    buy some protein powder to mix with milk. I dont know brands but you spend 30 to 40 and it averages out to $.50 to $2 a day.
  • t61wathern
    t61wathern Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the protein shakes like maxi muscle- the same kind of thing body builders and people who use the gym a lot use. 230 calories per shake- not sure about cost though.
  • jamielee760
    jamielee760 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried the Body By Vi Shakes? Great protein and meal replacement!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I just tried the chocolate Muscle Milk protein powder and it is JUST like chocolate milk...I mix mine with either skim or 1%...Delicious!! I believe they come in small already made drinks as well if that is more convenient for you....HTH!!
  • gccadillac
    gccadillac Posts: 4
    Options
    Myolean, they make great flavors..and its a meal replacement..
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options

I see people on FB selling this stuff all the time.. I just didn't wanna buy into anything that was some kind of weight loss trick. I'll probably go look into them though =) Didn't really look into them all that much.
  • aprileigh27
    aprileigh27 Posts: 37
    Options
    I hated protein shakes.......until I came across whey protein....I drink the optiumum nutrition one or the Super body fortress advanced in chocolate....then I add milk and peanut butter to it blend it with ice and its like a frappe its amazing! and I am full for hours!
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting protein powder, and making your own shakes. Its cheaper in the long run, and its got more protein and better nutrition, generally speaking. I use Pure Protein powder, you can get at walmart or target, its 20 bucks for a 2lb tub, which will last forever!!!

^^^ Yes I use this too!
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I just tried the chocolate Muscle Milk protein powder and it is JUST like chocolate milk...I mix mine with either skim or 1%...Delicious!! I believe they come in small already made drinks as well if that is more convenient for you....HTH!!

Is this expensive? I've seen them in drink coolers.. I really wanted to get some last week but I was getting close to my food budget limit.. I will look at those! =) I didn't know they had a mix either.. Thanks
  • girlsaint
    girlsaint Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I use Bodylogix from Shoppers Drug Mart, and a friend of mine uses the Body by Vi shakes. I have noticed a big improvement in my "feeling full", and I like the vanilla flavor--just mix it with water or milk and a handful of ice cubes and frozen fruit and you have a great tasting smoothie that replaces a meal.

I generally use mine for breakfast, but I also use it for an afternoon snack on days when lunch did not cut it to satisfy me.

I have also followed another poster's suggestion and picked up some nuts so that I can avoid the dreaded " eating too few...." message.

Good luck on your journey!
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

I just got 2 free sample packs and have yet to try them.
  • shelley2shane
    shelley2shane Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Go to swansonvitamins.com thats where I order my protein powder from, I order a plant based protein powder but they have all kinds and the price is very reasonable!! It's always cheaper to make a shake yourself verses buying premade, I just keep a few on hand in case I'm on the run, then I use like muscle milk light I get that right at walmart.. Hope this helps :)
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I use the Walker Diet powder (24g of protein) for shakes now, I was using Spiratien, but it had more carbs than I wanted & not enough protein. The Walker stuff is online from alot of sites, ok on price (I just got some on a BOGO 50% offer that will last me 2 months). I used the Duncan Hines flavor packets to add flavors to the vanilla mix.

Another great one I have used is Unjury, but it can only be found on Amazon or it's website. But they make an "unflavored" version for mixing into things (as well as chicken soup which I mixed with stock to add protein).
  • lghartman
    lghartman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein mix from Walmart. It delivers 26 grams of protein per scoop (140 calories). You can mix it with water or milk. It comes in quite a few flavors and each are $15. Some flavors like chocolate or chocolate peanut butter I mix with skim milk and the strawberry I mix with strawberry lemonade Crystal Light, which is very tasty and lower in calories. Its convenient and an inexpensive way to get your protein. Good Luck!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Caution on protein powders & protein drinks: check the sugar & carb content. Some are designed for people to eat right before a workout, and they will have lots of sugar & carbs. You do NOT want to drink that as a normal meal replacement or meal supplement.

Due to a metabolic condition, and the fact that I'm too lazy... I mean too busy... to cook properly, I drink four or five protein drinks a day. My fave brand is Syntrax Nectar, because it has 0 carbs and comes in a wide variety of flavors. In my morning coffee, I like to mix a scoop of cappuccino flavor protein powder OR a scoop of vanilla powder with a sprinkle of nutmeg & cinnamon. The chocolate makes a very good shake mixed with either water, milk or yogurt. They even have Lemon Tea if you get tired of sweet flavors. The big jars are kind of expensive, but they also offer sample packets so you can taste test each flavor before you commit to buying a whole jar.
  • jamielee760
    Options
    I was a skeptic about the BBV shakes and my sister in law started on them and had great results pretty quick. So I then decided to try them and so glad I took the chance. Its obviously not a miracle shake you have to change your eating habits and work out but drinking those as a meal replacement for breakfast and lunch has been so easy! I have never had so much energy and just feel really good. I strongly recommend to anyone even if your not looking to loose weight and just want to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
  • jamielee760
    Options

I see people on FB selling this stuff all the time.. I just didn't wanna buy into anything that was some kind of weight loss trick. I'll probably go look into them though =) Didn't really look into them all that much.

I suggest you do.. It seems like a lot of money up front but when you break it down its only 1.67 a meal.. you can't eat healthy for that cheap! Love this stuff!
  • jamielee760
    Options

I just got 2 free sample packs and have yet to try them.

You are going to love them! Guys do really good on the plan too!
  • samlankford
    samlankford Posts: 334
    Options
    the muscle milk shakes in the coolers are like 2 something for each one so I think they are kinda expensive if your on a budget.. I would look into the stuff that the other posters suggested that they get from walmart that is probably your cheapest bet.. you can also try carnation instant breakfast in the morning, I used to drink that growing up but it does have a decent amount of sugar in it, don't know if they do sugar free yet.. i personally am a shakeology girl, got it for the nutrients.. It is expensive (over 100 a bag) but it works for my busy life for a quick meal.. sometimes I do 2 a day.. good luck, happy sipping!! :happy: