Thyroid

Options
I just found out I have an inactive thyroid so they have me on medecine. It seems to be making it extra hard to lose weight. Anyone else have advise on this ?

Replies

• dangerkitty2001
    Options
    My best advice is keep taking the medication as prescribed. I have had periods of time when I have had to stop taking mine due to not being able to pay for it, and it makes a big difference being on and off it. It will take a few weeks of being on the meds before things even out, but once they do, you might find it a little easier to have more energy and be able to lose weight. At least that has been my experience!
    :happy:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I agree, keep taking the medicine everyday on time. I take levothyroxine. Once my dosage was correct I started losing weight. Be sure to get your levels checked every 3 months until you are on the correct dosage. Just continue to eat well, eat enough and exercise. Try not to get caught up with scale numbers. Hypothyroidism does make things a little more difficult but not impossible. :flowerforyou:
  • slightingscale
    slightingscale Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest that you ask for copies of your lab results. My doctor and I are trying to get my TSH to 1.0 (the 'normal' scale is .3 - 3.0, with 1.5 being the average person - and we hypothyroids tend to do best at a little below average). Keep an eye on your free T4 and your free T3 levels also. Finally, if the T4 alone isn't relieving your symptoms, look into adding a time-released T3 to your regular T4. It helped me immensely. Best of luck to you as you begin your journey. It will take some patience to get your ideal, personalized dosage just right. Meanwhile, the library and thyroid internet groups are great sources of information. :happy:
  • southern_gurl
    Options
    I to have this problem and along with the meds my doc recomended Vitamin A. It is proven to help with thyroid problems. Monitor it regularly, and you will see the weight come off.
  • julster324
    Options
    Do you take more Vit A then in a multi vitamin.?I have had a thyroid problem and I am gradually increasing meds for the last 6 weeks. No real noticeable change yet.