Waking up at 5am to work out, does it get easier?

Options
2»

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:50 4 days a week to workout. Some days it is really easy, others it is a big struggle. I just keep making myself get up and do it. At first, I had to go to be around 8:30 or I couldn't function the next day. Now, I can stay awake until 10 or so.
  • bethany1031
    bethany1031 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4:45 every morning. Typically I slog my way to the treadmill with nothing in my stomach, but have a protein shake on my way into the office. It works for me. By the time I get home from work, working out was the last thing on my mind.....which is why I ballooned up.

Some mornings I hit snooze more than I should. But it does get easier! On days when I just absolutely cannot make it happen (maybe they baby was up during the night, or I stayed up too late watching a movie or something) I may sleep in....but I know the next day I drag my *kitten* out of bed.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    My problem is, I just don't wake up. I have five alarms in my house. I've set them all for within a couple of minutes of each other and I STILL slept through them all. I want to get up early, but my body just won't cooperate.
  • sjflowers
    sjflowers Posts: 148
    Options
    I don't personally get up to work out, but my husband does. And he says it gets easier. Also, that if he misses a morning he feels draggy at work. Not as sharp. :)
  • cwgrl4u
    cwgrl4u Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yep....It sure does! :yawn:
  • lcs1211
    lcs1211 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love the morning workouts. A friend and I have been doing this for a couple of years now (meeting at the gym at 5:00) and we both love it. It is hard to get up and motivated but it makes the day so much easier and leaves my evenings free. We are so used to getting up to work out now that we even meet early on Saturdays to get our work out in. It definitely gets easier as you do it. Good luck and stay motivated whenever you decide to work out!
  • littlewords
    littlewords Posts: 43
    Options
    Nope. If you're not a morning person, you're not.
    That's why I switched from 5am to more like 8am. No, that doesn't always work out either, but it works out WAY more often than 5am did, once I was off the initially "gung ho" kick of going to the gym so early.
    I know what you mean about not wanting to waste your evenings, and 8 am isn't for everyone, only for people with more flexible schedules.

Just find whatever time really WORKS for you - what time of day would you find yourself sitting around doing nothing, or nothing more than typing on the internet?
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Yes it does get easier! Once you make it part of your regular routine, you will adjust. It took me a while of forcing myself out of bed to workout (since I had no other time) but now it is like second nature. I don't eat before though. I would totally vomit if I did. haha
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I used to get at 5am to go to the gym, and I loved it! I was energized all day! Now I workout at home, and workout in the evenings. I got up at 5 am once this week to do a workout...only once...I cannot seem to get my butt out of bed! I want to workout in the AM, my son tells me I don't do anything fun with him anymore...made me feel really bad! So, I'm going to keep trying mornings...I did it before I can do it again, just a matter of routine! Once I do it a few times, it'll be the norm! Good luck to you! It will get easier:bigsmile:
  • specialtreat
    Options
    Yes, for me it has gotten easier, and believe me I have never been a morning person, let alone getting out of bed before 7:30am.
    It was extremely hard for me to get up at 4:45am to go for a walk before the kids woke up to get ready for school.

Now, if I am not getting up to go for a walk , I wake at 4:45am anyway, I think my body clock has tuned in to that time of the morning for me to be awake..I must admit though it is a beautiful time of day, once I am up and moving....
  • rbrannock
    rbrannock Posts: 169
    Options
    I normally work out when I get home from work, but my son has 1 more week of school before summer begins so normally I would look at that like "hurray...I get an extra 30 minutes to sleep" but now I think I'm going to continue to get up at the same time, and use 30 minutes to get my run out of the way. It'll be cooler and free up my evenings, that are always extremely hectic anyways. :)
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I do it, and I suppose the 'easier' depends. I'm more a morning person, so it's not terribly difficult for me anyway, though it *does* take some discipline and willpower. But after the first week or so, it was a bit easier... Then it got hard for a week or so again, then went back to not being so bad. I have a friend who's NOT a morning person and he did it with a good bit of success for a while, and it helped him get back into the swing of doing his P90X. He's back to doing it in the evenings, but he's become much more disciplined about it. He's said that if he starts slacking off and not doing it in the evenings again, that he'll go back to morning workouts. For me, there are days when I'm sore and don't want to get up... But the results I'm getting keep me going. On Saturdays, I don't get up at 5 AM, but I do still exercise basically first thing once I get up, to keep myself in line. I like not having to worry about doing it later in the day. If I have appointments, want to meet friends for a drink, or just go to the pool after work, I can, because my workout for the day is done. It's not something that is necessarily for everyone, but it works very well for *me.* :wink:
  • billtownsend
    billtownsend Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It's really all attitude! If you want to be up and do your workout then you will not feel it's a burden. For me it's making sure I get enough sleep. I'm up at 4 have a couple egg whites and in the pool by 5, not sure I would want to lift weights or run at that time, then to work by 6- 6:15.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for abt. 2 mos. now, and it does get generally easier, but I'll admit, some days are still tough. I think it's generally easier when the sun comes up earlier and it's warmer outside. I also find it easier if I've laid out my workout clothes in the bathroom the night before, and prepped my gym back to just grab & go.

The thing I like best about it is that the gym is almost never crowded at that hour, and once I'm up & it's done, I feel better all day, and KNOW how many calories I can eat/plan.

If I waited until after work to work out, there could be a million reasons why it might not happen, but if I've already planned on having those exercise calories, then I'm in a tight spot to eat a really light dinner or find a way to make the workout happen anyway, which with kids, isn't always practical.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Yes it does.

I am up around 430 every morning...weekends included.
  • denise33027
    denise33027 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am up at 4:30 AM. I have a small glass of juice before I work out and eat after my shower. It gets easier if you are getting enough sleep. Some nights I hit the sack as early as 8:30. Stick to it and you will start to love it and look forward to it.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I LOVE working out first thing in the morning!!! Don't do it much, but I LOVE knowing that I've gotten it out of the way and can do what I want in the evenings. :wink: I keep telling myself I'm going to do it. I eventually will just bite the bullet and do it, but I have to talke myself into it. :wink: