15 Inches Down; 2 Pounds Up

Options
On March 1st I started working out with a personal trainer who weighted, measured, me, etc. Now, 3 months later I have lost 15 inches overall and have gained 2 pounds. I know that muscle weighs more and that I am moving in the right direction but it's really becoming frustrating to not lose a single pound.

To give you a general idea of my body composition (which may or may not make a difference, I have no clue) - I started just under 230 and am now at 190. This is the first time in my life I've ever had muscles at all, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Has anyone ever lost weight, then started muscle toning and found yourself plateaued for awhile (I've been at this weight since before Christmas)? If so, did you find that it eventually started dropping again as you kept up with your exercise? Or did you have to reboot somehow? I'm on a menu overhaul for the past 2 weeks so I'm very aware of what I'm eating... whole foods, no crap. About 1200 cals a day, between 75-100 net carbs per day and at or just under 100 protein. 12-15 glasses of water depending on whether or not it's a heavy cardio day. Strength training 2x week with trainer, 1x week on my own and cardio at least 4 times a week in various forms (cannot run due to injury).

Thank you for your insight!

Replies

• aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress. I would much rather being losing inches than weight but I understand what you are feeling when you don't see the scale drop.

Since lifting and eating more I have gone up in weight and stayed the same in my measurements. But now I can also max out at 100 lbs when I'm bench pressing. Hang in there!
  • txbelle25
    txbelle25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would definitely rather lose the inches as well. Muscle does weigh more than fat so it may just be a process and your "plateau phase" is just the difference between fat loss and muscle gain where in the beginning the fat loss was more. Eventually I think it will go back to being more fat loss and you will see the scale drop more and continue to lose the inches while getting more toned. This is just from my own personal experience in the past. I'm getting to the point in my life where my metabolism is slowing down and I don't do the intense work outs I used to do in organized sports. For the first time in my life I'm having to actually work to be where I want to be. Good luck on your journey and congrats on your progress so far!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    On March 1st I started working out with a personal trainer who weighted, measured, me, etc. Now, 3 months later I have lost 15 inches overall and have gained 2 pounds. I know that muscle weighs more and that I am moving in the right direction but it's really becoming frustrating to not lose a single pound.

To give you a general idea of my body composition (which may or may not make a difference, I have no clue) - I started just under 230 and am now at 190. This is the first time in my life I've ever had muscles at all, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Has anyone ever lost weight, then started muscle toning and found yourself plateaued for awhile (I've been at this weight since before Christmas)? If so, did you find that it eventually started dropping again as you kept up with your exercise? Or did you have to reboot somehow? I'm on a menu overhaul for the past 2 weeks so I'm very aware of what I'm eating... whole foods, no crap. About 1200 cals a day, between 75-100 net carbs per day and at or just under 100 protein. 12-15 glasses of water depending on whether or not it's a heavy cardio day. Strength training 2x week with trainer, 1x week on my own and cardio at least 4 times a week in various forms (cannot run due to injury).

Thank you for your insight!

I can bet if you increase your calories you will see the weight loss. 1200 calories isn't enough for an active person like yourself. Right now, you are just holding a lot of water while cutting fat. But I would think 1500-1600 calories would be more beneficial.

Also, you have always had the muscle, but it was covered by fat. Now that you are cutting fat, you can see the. Great isn't it!!

On a side note, there is zero chance you are actually gaining lean body mass as you are on a calorie deficit and you can't create mass without a surplus of calories.
  • jhigg11
    jhigg11 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yeah your calories are way too low. I don't work out that much and I consume 1500--1800 calories a day. I consistently have lost weight over the last four weeks.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You know everyone wants to have your problem.
    Weight loss is hard but maintenance is harder.
    If you can keep your muscle mass, you can eat more and don't gain the weight or inches back.
    Inches loss is the way to go!
    Just curious, what kind of intensity on your cardio-low,med, hit.. and HIIT?
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss to date and all of your hard work. I would tend to agree that it seems you aren't eating enough.

I lost my first 25ish lbs and then hit a plateau. Once I started eating more, the weight started coming off again.

I would recommend you check out the Group here on MFP - Eat More to Weigh Less. They are full of support and great information.
  • Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I can bet if you increase your calories you will see the weight loss. 1200 calories isn't enough for an active person like yourself. Right now, you are just holding a lot of water while cutting fat. But I would think 1500-1600 calories would be more beneficial.

Also, you have always had the muscle, but it was covered by fat. Now that you are cutting fat, you can see the. Great isn't it!!

On a side note, there is zero chance you are actually gaining lean body mass as you are on a calorie deficit and you can't create mass without a surplus of calories.
    [/quote]

I agree!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Great job so far! I'd suggest you eat a bit more.

Original, I know.
  • mrsamy1
    mrsamy1 Posts: 10
    Options
    Wow! It has seriously never occurred to me to EAT MORE! You have all just made my day ;) I am going to try and up the cals over the next 3-4 weeks and see what happens. Our CSA is starting next week so the timing is perfect!
  • mrsamy1
    mrsamy1 Posts: 10
    Options
    You know everyone wants to have your problem.
    Weight loss is hard but maintenance is harder.
    If you can keep your muscle mass, you can eat more and don't gain the weight or inches back.
    Inches loss is the way to go!
    Just curious, what kind of intensity on your cardio-low,med, hit.. and HIIT?

I do HIIT 2 times a week on the treadmill, med 2 times a week on the elliptical and low most of the other days (leisurely walks with the dog, that kind of thing). Thank you!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Wow! It has seriously never occurred to me to EAT MORE! You have all just made my day ;) I am going to try and up the cals over the next 3-4 weeks and see what happens. Our CSA is starting next week so the timing is perfect!

well no one gets fat from eating 1600 calories. Even baby's are supposed to consume 1000 and infants around 1600.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options

well no one gets fat from eating 1600 calories. Even baby's are supposed to consume 1000 and infants around 1600.

?? Terrible analogy; kids are growing, so of course they eat more. OP is trying to get smaller, not bigger.