Exercise...weight loss Help

Options
Steph7x
Steph7x Posts: 115 Member
Is it better to eat good and do cardio get to goal weight..then tone up or tone up along the way, most of the weight i have lost has been to eating less/stress not really exercise so im wondering if all the exercise im now doing is affecting my weight loss? any idea? :)

Replies

• cwalters1540
    cwalters1540 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think the best combo is a healthy diet, cardio, and toning. The lean muscle you gain from toning will increase your metabolism a bit so you'll burn more calories throughout the day. Tone as you go!
  • Steph7x
    Options
    Thanks im just getting really frustrated im working out, eating below cals and not really losing so im not sure what else to do. Im not sure whether to do just cardio and calories for a week and see what happens.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Don't eat below your calorie goal. If you're not already doing so, log your workouts using the Exercise tab and eat back at least of portion of your extra earned calories. And yes, you should be lifting weights along with cardio.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Is it better to eat good and do cardio get to goal weight..then tone up or tone up along the way, most of the weight i have lost has been to eating less/stress not really exercise so im wondering if all the exercise im now doing is affecting my weight loss? any idea? :)

Actually cardio is not needed at all for weight/fat loss. Cardio just allows you to eat more to achieve the same caloric deficit you could get from diet alone. Cardio has many other health benefits but weight loss is not one of them.

On the other hand strength training is extremely important while losing weight as it helps ensure that the weight you are losing is coming mainly from fat, without strength training a large % of your loss will be the loss of lean muscle, not just the fat you want to lose.
  • Steph7x
    Options
    I do eat back most exercise calories..i work out so i can eat, could never live of 1300 calories a day i would starve. I'll carry on with the strength training then, its got to show sometime :)
  • dav7612r
    dav7612r Posts: 1
    Options
    Speaking for myself only, I've found it way easier to lose without exercising. 11 weeks and i'm down 22 lbs. on no exercise at all. I don't plan on starting exercise until i hit my goal.
  • Steph7x
    Options
    Speaking for myself only, I've found it way easier to lose without exercising. 11 weeks and i'm down 22 lbs. on no exercise at all. I don't plan on starting exercise until i hit my goal.

Yeah thats how i lost 24lbs, since exercising my loss has stopped(1lb off then back on the next day etc)..im in love with exercise now and really dont want to give it up.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

The only problem with this is that a large % of your loss would have been muscle, if you did strength training and lost the same amount of weight you would have a lower BF% at the same weight.