ankle sprain...need advice

Options
2 weeks ago I suffered a high ankle sprain because I didn't listen to my friends after I twisted it during a Zumba class and thought I could "work" through the pain while doing Insanity and running 4 miles a day. Now I have to cut out cardio for a few weeks and was looking for suggestions on other types of workouts that I try so I am not just sitting around waiting to get better. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance:smile:

Replies

• shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    by now you know the zumba routine, put some music on and dance your hiney away in a chair ☺
  • rmkramer003
    rmkramer003 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I sprained my ankle in Jan. and was told to try arm punches. Jillian Michaels uses them. Try looking those up. You could also try swimming. I found I could ride a stationary bike if I kept my sprained ankle braced and did most of the work with my good leg.
  • dotty1979
    dotty1979 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've got a knee injury that comes and goes, some days fine, other days I can't walk at all. Anyway I've been advised that swimming is great exercise when recovering from injuries as its non weight bearing. Anything in water is good so swimming, aquacise, aqua aerobics etc should all be fine.
  • IUGB
    IUGB Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My go to is swimming laps. If you're not a great swimmer, maybe you could try a water aerobics class.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you belong to a gym see if they have a hand bike.
  • jsangelo13
    jsangelo13 Posts: 5
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions! Luckily I'm a teacher and summer break begins next week so I will have many opportunities to swim.
  • momshorses
    momshorses Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I am recovering from one right now too. It has been 5 weeks for me and I still have to wear an air cast when I go out anywhere. I don't know how bad your sprain is, but mine ended up having a tear involved. My doctor told me not to do anything until the soft tissue heals. I am now starting to "write the alphabet" with my big toe so I can start working the muscles.

In my frustration of having to sit in a chair with my foot elevated due to swelling, I started doing upper body stretches and lifts. I tried doing some of the stretches while standing, but even with the cast I could feel something pull wrong. I found that I could do "standing push up's" off a wall. Arm raises, twists, etc. anything I could do while sitting I tried. It was still not the same, but it was something.

I discovered in my frustration that I can get a pretty good work out in from a wheelchair while shopping too. And it is kinda fun. :) I have now borrowed a wheelchair and I plan to race down the road today to get a cardio.
  • jsangelo13
    Options
    It sounds like your sprain is a lot worse than mine. I'm finally able to do Insanity without any pain so I am happy about that. I really hope your ankle gets better soon! While laid up I did go to my gym and did the upper body arm circuit.
  • momshorses
    Options
    I'm glad you are able to workout again without pain. :)
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I've sprained it three times in 2 years, and was put in a cast every time. Let yourself recover, or your ligaments will never spring back to life and heal!

Do upper body workouts (as already suggested) and do some recovery yoga and pilates routines when you feel up to it. But only when you feel up to it!
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I had a stress fracture and tendinitis and I was down for 5 weeks and honestly the best thing to do is nothing on your feet! It sucks BIG TIME to do nothing BUT you will heal faster and better! So work on abs and upper body, it's not much but in the long run, it is worth it!
  • momshorses
    Options
    It is nice to hear from people who have lived through this. You have encouraged me to give my foot more time. Still frustrating at times, but maybe not quite as bad. So, thank you.