getting bulky

Hey everyone I have a muscular build and I want to lose about 30-40 more pounds. Here is the problem. I work out alot but don't do weights because I get very muscular and I don't want that. I want to lose the weight and get lean. I also have the baby fat or the bay window as I like to call it from my c-section from my son. I dont know how to make that go away with out having a tummy tuck. The doc said so to but..... anyone know how to make that skin shrink. It is all streched out. So if you have any idea please tell me on both, how to get lean not bulk and to shrink the tummy. Thanks

Replies

• sjflack
    sjflack Posts: 5 Member
    I'm very short and tend to bulk up quickly also. I'd highly recommend the Jillian Michaels workout tapes or Slim N Six. They really keep your heart rate going without all the weight training but are great for toning. Now, I still think you should do some weight training because muscle burns more calories.

Here is what you need to do, don't train like a guy, do not take breaks in-between sets unless you are exhausted. Just grab water and drink to replinish yourself.

My trainer taught me to continually move. Also, do basic moves consisting of pushups, situps, jumping jacks, squats and lunges. You don't need weights all the time, just be able to move your own weight.

If you want to incorporate weights, don't take breaks. Do biceps and immediately go into an abdominal exercise or pushup, then do another weighted exercise, then do crunches, then do another exercise then do a plank for 20-45 seconds. You get the idea. Just do 30-40 minutes of this and you will not bulk up because you'll be sweating so much.

On leg day, do leg extension, then do a non-weighted exercise such as lunges. Then do calf raises, followed by a squat with a side leg extension w/o weight. Watch other people to see what they are doing. Or, do the tapes I suggested above, and incorporate some of those moves with your "weight" day. If you don't have flat feet, plyometrics are great.

Hope that helps !!
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    I am short and can get pretty "bulky"....but from experience, when i get down to a lower weight (which i have been in the past) The muscle tone and everything looks way different then when i have muscle tone at a larger weight....maybe just doing crunches and sit ups and reverse sit ups ....the one good thing about bulking is if u work out that area...eventually with all the cardio and what not....when the fat does widdle away from your mid....the muscle which builds fills in the loose skin and makes the skin seem firmer (not to mention some people's skin does shrink with their body...depending on your genetics and age).....also make sure to lube your insides with good oils/fats (EVO is my fav) as well as the outside (A good moisturizer)...I havent had a C-section ...but I gained 60lbs with my first son and 50 with my second and almost a year later....I am actually happy with how my skin is somewhat returning back to normal....it all depends on your body and genetics with a little help of how well u treat ur body.......good luck to ya hun :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • I agree w/ sjflack that you should do some weights. As for the tummy pooch, I don't think it ever goes away completely, but with weight loss it does shrink and look better
  • BossyGirl
    BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
    Do more reps of lighter weights. Dont use large heavy weights.
  • BossyGirl
    BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
    Do more reps of lighter weights. Dont use large heavy weights.
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Have you tried something like pilates? You tone up and don't use weights. I don't want to bulk up either so my strength training I'm doing right now involves resistance bands. There are three different resistances and its a great way to tone up w/o bulk! Also could add in some yoga for flexibility, stamina and strengthening.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Erm...chances are you don't get "bulky." What's more likely is that you still have a lot of bodyfat covering the muscle, making it look bulky. True lean muscle is always sleek and tight, unless you're pumping in hours and hours at the gym every day. It takes way more work to grow muscle than people realize.

So continue to cut but I would keep weights in. They boost your metabolism and preserve your lean muscle. If you lose a lot of lean muscle, you'll look all flabby and lumpy (or bony and a tad sick) when you cut down to your goal.
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    I do Pilates with Resistance bands good for toning without bulking up.