Advice on family issue

Options
aldale
aldale Posts: 118 Member
Ok I need advice. My husband's step sister messaged me, my sister in law, and my husband's half brother on Facebook asking if we would go in and pay $30 each on a father's day gift for my husband's dad. This is a man who has hardly anything to do with my hubby or our children. He is very close to my hubby's stepsister and her kids who live next door to him. That being said, my husband nor I want to do this. How do I respond to her message tactfully?

Replies

• morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Just ignore the message like it never happened, I guess. I don't think you should be forced to buy a gift for someone you don't really like.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    "That sounds like a great idea; my husband and I have already pursued a different outlet."

Or, you could just front $30. Recession or not, you should be able to swing it with as little as three hours babysitting*.
    -wtk

* http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/614278-going-rate-for-a-babysitter
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Just thank her for thinking of you but let her know you're not doing Father's Day gifts this year or you'd rather do something small on you're own. Not that big of a deal.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Just tell them that this year, your finances won't allow for a $30 contribution. Leave it at that.
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    tell her no. she doesn't need anything more then that. just a simple "thanks but no thanks"
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Sorry, already have it covered.