Not who I used to be

Options
So I started on this site about 3 months ago, and my only goal was to trim down and tone up. I don't feel overweight or anything i would just like to be thinner.
Before I started this diet... i used to like baking, cooking, pizza, and I didn't worry about what I ate....
however, since I've started, and the only person i have to blame is myself... but I've become a little bit too involved with it all. I have occasional cravings for cake and pizza... but they've been getting more often. I put my calorie limit to 1200. I'm 5 ft 7" my starting weight was 160.9 lbs i fit into a size 12 UK/medium dress size and I'm 21 years old... This isn't what life is about. and I'm a little bit concerned because i seem to have completely changed part of my personality, i got my cupcake baking book out and was rather sad because id just ignored it... and i used to love doing all those things...
i started making oatmeal cookies because they were healthier but they aren't the same... and yes i make healthier choices now but i read so much of people saying 1200 isn't enough...

The point of this post i guess... is.. is this just me? or do other people struggle with this too? and can someone honestly tell me is 1200 calories right ? i struggle to eat most of them most of the time.... but i want to be able to sustain this because i don't want to be a 'calorie counter' forever.

*Nothing in this post is intended to insult or offend anyone.

Thanks in advance..
xx

Replies

• GabrielleZelda
    GabrielleZelda Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you're now aware of what you eat and are in control of it. This is a really great accomplishment!

What do you mean when you say that you feel your personality has changed? Do you feel like you're being too restrictive? Focusing too much on calories? Please explain :)

Some people are very strict about the number of calories they consume - I think it's best to follow your own body and just find what fits you best. Are you feeling satiated at 1200? Are you still hungry, weak, dizzy, fatigued, etc?
    If your body is telling you it's hungry, then by all means, eat, dear! :) Your 'change of personality' might just be your body reacting to a sudden drop in the amount of food you're eating, making you lethargic, tired, etc.

I think it's worth while to experiment with different caloric intakes and really find something that works for you.

1200-1400 usually works for me, but for a friend of mine who is roughly the same weight, she eats 1900 and maintains just fine.

It's so much more individual, I find, than MFP tells you. Just find what works for you!
  • harri1990
    harri1990 Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks Gaby, I just used to do things like baking and enjoy it. or going to cafes and having a drink. even on a night out. now i will without hesitation think "how many calories is this? can my sugar handle it? wil it make me go over" and i don't bake anymore. i seem to have got almost obsessive *though i hate that word with a passion*
  • GabrielleZelda
    GabrielleZelda Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Ok, I understand what you're saying!

It's really hard to find a happy medium between eating healthy and having treats. It's especially hard when you don't know what is put into the food when it is prepared, like in cafes or any restaurant.

I've found that I eat out much much less, because I don't want to deal with the stress of trying to count it.

But I mean, look at you! You're not big AT ALL. You don't have much weight to drop, so you can afford to be a little more lax in your diet. From what you're saying, I really think you could afford to up your calories a little bit. Just think, you'll be able to fit more treats in that way, too!

And if you manage to fit in some exercise, you can eat back your exercise calories without worrying at all.

You're doing so well. I think that questioning yourself like this shows that you are dedicated and willing to give your 100% and I admire that. But still, don't totally remove your pleasure for food! :)
  • harri1990
    Options
    Thanks.... I've changed my settings from losing lbs per week to just 1.5 and will see how i get on with that see if my measurements keep going down or if they stay the same..

THankyou so much for your encouragement.. your awesome xx
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I love baking myself but get a stressed about it now too. For example, I went home for Mother's Day and wanted to make these delicious Coconut Cupcakes my mom loves, but couldn't bring myself to do it because all I could think about was all the calories and knowing that she wants to drop a few pounds too, it just didn't seem right.

I still like baking just try and keep it to no more than once a week, and I bake healthier stuff in smaller quantities before. Last week I experimented with coconut flour and made gluten free brownies. It's forced me out of my baking comfort zone and I've actually gotten better and experimenting with recipes, so that's a cool benefit.

Overall, all this calorie counting sometimes does make it hard to enjoy my food. I just try and plan better for the indulgences now and tell myself not to feel guilty. I agree with you it's not what life is about, but I am learning better portion control and also mroe about nutrient density (which foods taste best with fewest cals). These are skills I can take with me even if I stop calorie counting to help maintain. I never want to stop enjoying food, just trying to accept the fact that I have to adjust my perception it.
  • harri1990
    Options
    Experimenting sounds like a good plan :) i think i need to learn the art of moderation.... I'm not on a massive weight loss thing but i am acting like i am ... you guys are great !
    x
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    As someone else said, experiment! First, figure out the nutrition in one serving of the cake/cookies/desserts you like to bake. Then figure out what the smallest portion of that would both satisfy you and fit within your calorie goals, or, calculate how much additional exercise you would need to do to burn off the calories in one serving. You can do healthy substitutions to bring the calories down, too.

Are there other people in your house, friends, neighbors or other people who could help you eat what you've baked? If so, keep a couple portions for you, and give the rest away. If it's just you, and you've got willpower, you can freeze your goodies and take out one at a time as a treat. Or, even better, figure out ways to just bake 1 or 2 portions. Think about the days of the Easy Bake Oven toy where kids made just one little tiny cake or some very tiny cookies. You could make small portions of muffins, cupcakes, cookies etc. in a toaster oven.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I am a little bit in the same boat. Every so often I just want to bake something, it is fun and relaxing for me. So when I get the craving to bake I do and then I bring in the goodies to work. I work with a bunch of guys, so no matter how much I bake, it will all be gone by the end of the day. There is also the bonus that they all think I am really sweet for thinking of them (when I am actually saving myself from eating the goodies, which is what would happen if they stayed in my house).
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Thanks Gaby, I just used to do things like baking and enjoy it. or going to cafes and having a drink. even on a night out. now i will without hesitation think "how many calories is this? can my sugar handle it? wil it make me go over" and i don't bake anymore. i seem to have got almost obsessive *though i hate that word with a passion*

I am having the same issue. I used to eat a lot more diversely, but now I find myself feeling impelled to eat clean, and this is leading to binge eating as I am avoiding the things I used to enjoy doing. I used to enjoy having vegetable crispbakes with vegetables, and the occasional pizza or chinese meal, and ice creams and coffee out, and then I stopped it all, and find myself living each day constantly thinking of what to eat, and how much I have to exercise to be able to eat what I wish to eat. I should have guessed that this site might not be a good idea for someone with a history of EDs in the past. Sure, it is keeping my weight at the lowest end of my normal BMI, but at the cost of living a normal life and eating intuitively and what I enjoy eating, which is where I was at pretty much before.
  • harri1990
    Options
    Yeah .. I live on my own but i have friends who call round regular who aren't on a diet and they're cake mad so they will help me get through them... i guess i could make a batch and freeze some too...
    ahah Creech6317 I love your comment about the guys... thats one thing they're brilliant for.. getting rid of excess cake :P
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm just beginning this fun journey....again....but one thing I've found (as a single-loves-to-bake-female) is that you can freeze a LOT. I make a pan of brownies when I'm full (otherwise I'm too tempted to eat), and let them cool. Cut them into individual slices, bag them up, and freeze them. I only leave out 1 or 2 "fresh" brownies. Then whenever I'm craving a dessert, I grab a brownie from the freezer. And I don't even make them the "healthy" way with applesauce and substitutes and whatever else. If I am craving something sweet, I really want something sweet. :)

I also discovered that drinking more water makes my sweet cravings less. That could just be me, though!

I agree with others--try experimenting, and bake to your heart's content! If it makes you happy, then do it. Just make sure you have a plan ahead of time with what to do with the extras (I also find that telling someone "I'm bringing _______ tomorrow" keeps me from eating too much of my treats!)
  • lionskitty
    lionskitty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and my goal weight is actually around 160lbs, give or take, we'll see when I get there. I'm eating 1250-1450 most days but my goal is 1690 for 1lb/week, I kind of keep that as the upper end of my total. I found I was much happier when I set my goal to a pound a week, if I cheat I wat 1600 and I'm still under and still losing, and when I'm not too hungry I eat a little less and lose even more! You can eat treats, don't cut out everything you enjoy, just the stuff that doesn't really matter to you and keep your favorites as treats within your limit. :) Everyone is different. You said you're here mostly for trimming/toning so I think you'll definitely be fine at a little more than 1200cal, 1200 is really for big loss (unless you're super super tiny and your RMR is tiny too). I find setting it for 1lb/week and aiming for 1-2lbs/week loss has made my goals attainable, it's motivating, it gives me freedom and wiggle room, and it's working. :)