Can it be done without exercise?

loulabelle
loulabelle Posts: 21 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone,

I have been on here for a while and I'm losing weight but I just wanted a bit of advice on keeping going... I've been sticking to my calories and going for 1.5 hour hikes 4-6 times a week and this seems to be working for me. My problem is that I have a really busy month coming up (I study and work) and I don't think I'm going to have that much time for exercise this next month :frown:

I really don't want to stop losing so my question is - Is it possible to keep this going without this regular exercise? I plan to get out as much as I can and get as much incidental exercise as possible too, if I'm really strict with my calories will this be enough??

I'd love any input or ideas!!!
Thanks guys
:smile: :smile: :smile:

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    sure it can, but you have to set your expectations correctly. You can't expect to have great progress without exercise, but you can have progress. Also, know that you will lose some muscle mass if you don't exercise, this will mean weight loss but not fat loss. If you get back into it after the month is over this shouldn't be a huge setback, but it is something you should be aware of.
  • nursegirl79
    nursegirl79 Posts: 146 Member
    I would stick to an exercise plan at least 3 x week. The exercise will help keep your energy up for work and school. You could do a walk in the neighborhood for about 20-30min or whatever small amount of time you could fit in. When you need a brain break from studying, you could do a short 10 min interval.

Example: 2 min. - run in place
    2 min. - push-up
    2 min. - jumping jacks
    2 min. - sit-up or crunches
    2 min. - run in place

Hope this helps:happy:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    I would stick to an exercise plan at least 3 x week. The exercise will help keep your energy up for work and school. You could do a walk in the neighborhood for about 20-30min or whatever small amount of time you could fit in. When you need a brain break from studying, you could do a short 10 min interval.

Example: 2 min. - run in place
    2 min. - push-up
    2 min. - jumping jacks
    2 min. - sit-up or crunches
    2 min. - run in place

Hope this helps:happy:

If I had that schedule I'd want to excersise. Just because you can't go on an hour and a half hike doesn't mean that 20 minutes walks here and there won't help, and I know I would welcome the activity mentally.
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    The 30 day shred is only 20 minutes...its great for time crunch...fit that in 3 times a week and you'll be surprised!
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Yep, it's possible. I did it without exercise, fifteen pounds.
    It's really importance for maintenance, though, because otherwise the error of a few calories a day just add up on your hips.
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Yes it is possible, I lost 45 pounds without exercising one bit. Now I don't exercise that much and still manage to lose .7-1 pound a week.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    it is possible, don't let biased comments let you turn the other way. while exercise IS terribly important, diet is really really important. you can eat crappy food all you want, and exercise all you want, and you may really not end up losing a whole lot. your diet is a big key. i also find it an important first step.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    As long as calories expended exceeds calories consumed you should still lose. So if you have to cut back on hte exercise you need ot also cut back on some calories if you want to achieve weight loss.
  • loulabelle
    Thanks everyone, feeling better about it now :smile: :smile:
  • I started losing weight by dieting. I lost 30 lbs in 4 months and kept it off for 3 years. Only the past 6 weeks have I started with exercising because I still never lost the last 12 lbs. I did South Beach Diet phase 1 only. No carbs. It works and it is easy. Boring, yes. Tough, only the first 4 days. I have been under 1500 calories and working out 5 days a week for the past 6 weeks and I have gained 5 lbs and lost 2 in that time frame. So, yesterday was my first day back on no carbs. Hopefully I can lost the last bit (now 14 lbs) before Christmas! You can do it!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Here's a 10 minute cardio kickboxing workout you may be able to fit into your schedule:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1330
  • loulabelle
    Thank-you so much everyone for the advice x x x
This discussion has been closed.