My goal by July 5th, what is yours?

Options
I work for a hospital in OKC. Every year we have our physical and blood work etc... If we pass a set of guidlines at our physical, we receive $250 credit towards our insurance premiums. Pretty good incentive I think.
Some of the guidelines are easy.
-Don't smoke.
-Don't be a drunk.
-Eat healthy and exercise.
-Wear your seatbelt.
...and so on....
The one that gets me every year is that the hospital still goes by BMI as an indicator of overall health. If you don't fall below a 27 BMI (for women) you are dinged with a red X and you must jump through some extra hoops to get that credit.
This makes me absolutely crazy because BMI is total crap!

My current weight is 195.
I am 5'8"
My current pants/jean size is a 10/12 and I wear a M/L 8/10 top.
I am still considered obese.
BMI doesn't take into consideration muscle, which I have a lot of.

My goal is to decrease my BMI by losing however many lbs. I need to by the time I see my doctor and have my blood work done on July 5th. Wish me luck.

What is your short term goal?

P.S. It's also REALLY annoying seeing extremely morbidly obese nurses in employee health telling me I need to lose weight when they can barely walk across the exam room. (Small rant) :)

Replies

• beckysweetpea
    beckysweetpea Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    my family and i have made a goal to see who loses 20kg by 31st july and been this since jan. im up to 15kg so far and with 2 mths left i have only 5kg to go, dont think there is a prize for the winner lol which sucks but hey what can ya do i guess the prize is the weight loss :)

ps im a nurse too and i think about all those large nurses etc that comment on 'you need to lose weight and be healthy' etc but they never take their own advice huh??
  • NICOLED73
    NICOLED73 Posts: 183
    Options
    No, they don't take their own advice. But the hospital has them in employee health telling people like me to lose weight.
    It's crazy.
    Great job on your weight loss. I wonder what you will win? :)
  • beckysweetpea
    beckysweetpea Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    thanks i have a long way to go but i just keep on plugging

ultimate goal is to lose nearly 60kg by march 2014 (my wedding) so hopefully thats enough time lol