Lasik?

Options
cspong
cspong Posts: 260 Member
I have extremely bad eyesight (I can't find my glasses if they get moved while they're off because I wont see them)... I've been switching between glasses and contacts for years and have been considering lasik.

Has anyone here done it? What was your experience?

Replies

• focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Both of my parents did it, and it worked out really perfect for my dad. My mom had to do it twice and now hers is just fine too. I plan on helping my son get it when he is old enough. :)
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    I got Lasik in 2008 and it was seriously the best investment that I have ever made. I had very bad astigmatism. Technically, I could read the clock on the other wall right after the surgery, but recovery was a little miserable. I was extremely sensitive to light for about 6 months after the surgery. I also noticed that my eyes would get very tired at the end of the day. But my vision is 20/20 and I am so happy that I went through with it.
  • tamamommy
    tamamommy Posts: 73
    Options
    YES!!! I had lasik 2 years ago and it has been the absolute best money ever spent. I am so near sighted it is ridonkulous. I am still amazed I can see the alarm clock in the morning and the computer all day, every day, day in, day out (*sarcasm*). Seriously, do it!
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I had lasik 12 years ago. My vision improved from 20/340 to 20/25. I couldn't be happier.
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I had it in 2006 and it was totally the best money I have ever spent on myself. I don't regret it for a second.
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Bump
    I have been wanting to do this too.
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I had Lasik a few year ago. It was a fast and easy procedure. The eyes also heal very quickly. It made me feel great too!
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I had it in 2006 and it was totally the best money I have ever spent on myself. I don't regret it for a second.

^^^^^exactly this!!!
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    Plan on having mine done as soon as i can afford it. Im almost blind~~~seriously.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    LIFE CHANGING! No regrets whatsoever!
  • gwduker
    gwduker Posts: 293
    Options
    I had it done 15 years ago, and never regretted it. Best present I ever gave myself! My only problem now is age, I see anything close up without reading glasses. My far away is still perfect, just can't read the paper anymore without help. :(
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Here's a cut and paste of a similar thread I replied to a few weeks ago. I'm a walking advertisement for it! Good luck and message me if you have any questions!

I had mine done in January of 2011. Best decision I ever made. I am only 25 but have been terribly nearsighted since I was in the third grade. I mean, it was BAD. I wore contacts, but when I went on a camping trip in 2010, I realized: "What if I am out here in the middle of nowhere, and I lose a contact AND break my glasses?" I was legally blind without glasses/contacts. So the next year I put away money in my flex spending to get Lasik.

I went to an awesome doctor at TLC center. Everything went great and the staff there was very professional and courteous. I took a Xanax before the procedure and they gave me a little "Finding Nemo" stuffed animal to hold while I did the procedure. And they put numbing drops in my eyes.

So the procedure. The doc told me that women tend to be more nervous so he gave me a few minutes to do deep breathing, etc. I honestly wasn't that scared. I mean, I had been touching my eyes since I was 11 wearing contacts. I also got the iLASIK without the blade. If I had gotten that one I'd be a little more scurred! Lol! You know when you close your eyes and you see all those colors moving around the back of your eyelids? That's what staring up into the laser was like. They instruct you where to look and when. It was over very quickly. They sent me home with a kit of eyedrops and a schedule to take them., and recommended that I take a nap. You will have to take lots and lots of eyedrops!!! I didn't have any pain, but one of the staffers told me that "When you wake up from your nap, you will feel like you're standing in front of a bunch of onions from the eye irritation." She was right! I just put in some numbing drops and that made it go away just fine.

So one year later I am still about 20/20. I usually have to put drops in my eyes before going to bed every night (just the regular store-bought ones) because they get a little dry. I can also get "tweaks" for life, but everything is good so far. I may need reading glasses when I get older, but that's fine. As long as I'm not legally blind ever again! Feel free to message me if you ever have any more questions :-)
  • Marvalm3
    Marvalm3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Best thing I ever did for myself! Money well spent!
  • jem33199
    jem33199 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I did it in 2008 and I LOVE the results. I just went in for a visit a few weeks ago and my vision is still 20/20. Woo hoo!
  • mossy_m
    mossy_m Posts: 2
    Options
    I have my initial consultation on 19th June to see if my eyes are suitable. Fingers crossed as I can't wait to get it done :-)
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I got it last October and am wondering why I waited.

Best thing I have ever done!
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Actually I did PRK. Its pretty much the same thing just a little differnt approach to the laser surgery. I love it! No more glasses or contacts, and I can see very well now. Only thing is I am sensitive to light now. I have to wear sunglasses quite a bit. Also it sucks more to get something in my eye. Doesn't bother me at all though. Those might be the difference between PRK and Lasik.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I haven't had it because fortuntely I have 20/20 vision but I am an Optician and I highly reccomend doing it! You won't regret it. Just do not go to a fly by night place. Go to an Opthamalogist who has been practicing for several years and has a good reputation! Good luck!
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on getting it this summer in SoCal