Carbonated Water. What's the big deal?

Options
I am often told by friends, acquaintances and even weight staff at restaurants that my choice of carbonated water is unwise because of the high sodium content. But, when I log the 500 – 1000 mL of Perrier (my carbonated water of choice) I usually drink in a day, it make little impact on my daily sodium targets. My morning coffee actually contains 5X more sodium then a bottle of Perrier. Is there something I am missing, or are people just misinformed?

Replies

• carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that the carbonation is hard on your kidneys. That might be an old wives tale, but being a diabetic, and in danger of kidney problems anyway, I quit drinking anything carbonated.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that the carbonation is hard on your kidneys. That might be an old wives tale, but being a diabetic, and in danger of kidney problems anyway, I quit drinking anything carbonated.

From Livestrong.com:

Kidney Disease
    Another concern some people associate with carbonated beverages and soda water is a possible link between carbonation and kidney stones. According to a 2008 study, "Carbonated Beverages and Chronic Kidney Disease," drinking regular and artificially sweetened cola can increase the risk of chronic kidney disease. This link, however, is not associated with the carbonation in the beverage, but rather the phosphoric acid in cola. In fact, the study concluded that "noncola carbonated beverages were not associated with chronic kidney disease."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/514804-is-soda-water-bad-for-you/#ixzz1wTCyGCaa
  • heidihurl
    heidihurl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    As it's said.. everything in moderation.

I drink flavored seltzer water as my choice beverage.. No added sugar, salt or anything but flavor. There is minimal damage to my system compared to those other beverages with chemicals, sugars (natural or artificial) or dyes... Stick with your seltzer.. it's good.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If your daily sodium is fine, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Interesting about the Phosphoric Acid. I'll have to look in to that a little closer.
  • sophie428
    sophie428 Posts: 27
    Options

From Livestrong.com:

Kidney Disease
    Another concern some people associate with carbonated beverages and soda water is a possible link between carbonation and kidney stones. According to a 2008 study, "Carbonated Beverages and Chronic Kidney Disease," drinking regular and artificially sweetened cola can increase the risk of chronic kidney disease. This link, however, is not associated with the carbonation in the beverage, but rather the phosphoric acid in cola. In fact, the study concluded that "noncola carbonated beverages were not associated with chronic kidney disease."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/514804-is-soda-water-bad-for-you/#ixzz1wTCyGCaa

Thanks so much for this resource!!! It has given me piece of mind.
  • sophie428
    Options
    As it's said.. everything in moderation.

I drink flavored seltzer water as my choice beverage.. No added sugar, salt or anything but flavor. There is minimal damage to my system compared to those other beverages with chemicals, sugars (natural or artificial) or dyes... Stick with your seltzer.. it's good.

That has been my rationale until now. I'm glad to have independent (likeminded) advice! I might just refer my neigh sayers here in the future :smile:
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I am often told by friends, acquaintances and even weight staff at restaurants that my choice of carbonated water is unwise because of the high sodium content. But, when I log the 500 – 1000 mL of Perrier (my carbonated water of choice) I usually drink in a day, it make little impact on my daily sodium targets. My morning coffee actually contains 5X more sodium then a bottle of Perrier. Is there something I am missing, or are people just misinformed?

They are thinking of club soda, which has 25-90mg/8oz serving, depending upon the brand. That's more sodium than in the same size serving of diet coke, but less than milk.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have been a drinker of carbonated water for YEARS. Some brands, such as Arrowhead, have no sodium content at all. Just read your labels!
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of Propel Zero and Powerade Zero. They have no calories but taste better (to me) than regular water. My biggest enemy is the heat so I have to make sure Im drinking something. They have lower sodium and also some antioxidants. So maybe try these if you want to watch out for that carbonation.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Not all carbonated waters have noticeable sodium. Check out the nutrition labels if you are concerned about sodium intake.
  • sophie428
    Options
    They are thinking of club soda, which has 25-90mg/8oz serving, depending upon the brand. That's more sodium than in the same size serving of diet coke, but less than milk.

Point well taken. I will look out for this when I ask for Perrier at restaurants and am offered Club Soda as an alternative. Thanks for all the great advise.
  • sophie428
    Options
    I drink a lot of Propel Zero and Powerade Zero. They have no calories but taste better (to me) than regular water. My biggest enemy is the heat so I have to make sure Im drinking something. They have lower sodium and also some antioxidants. So maybe try these if you want to watch out for that carbonation.

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, It's the carbonation that I love. It is my substitute for Diet Coke which I haven't drank is 4 months.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it being high in sodium. I have a seltzer maker at home (Sodatream) and you use plain chilled water for it. I think the carbonation helps me digest food better, and it's more enjoyable than flat water.