Work is my downfall!

Options
I work at a sub shop, and I find it extremely difficult not to munch on food especially when I'm surrounded by it and smelling everything delicious. I have my sandwhich eating under control. All I eat is the turkey, no cheese, and I gut the bread and load it up with veggies. I splurge a little and put the slightest bit of mayo on my sub.. but, I digress.
My main enemy is the cookies. One cookie has a full 200 calories in it! I try so hard not to be tempted by them, but I have found that I just cannot resist. I once went an entire week without a cookie, but I slipped one day and ended up eating 4 cookies in one work shift!
Is there anyone else that works in the food business and have any tips for me to keep my munching under control?
Thanks for your help! :)

Replies

• jehembee
    jehembee Posts: 114
    Options
    Ugh, I had that problem when I worked in a nation-wide donut shop. Luckily I fell pregnant, and the smell of coffee made me feel queasy, and as such, I stopped eating all the donuts and stuff...

I would try packing my own snacks maybe? Healthy snacks so when the craving hits you can grab that instead?
  • ronldjn
    ronldjn Posts: 3
    Options
    I feel for you it would be hard for me also. I am glad I don't work around food. One of my biggest temptations is ice cream I always think about it.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I pack my food each day and log it before I leave for work. The rest is all willpower. Sorry there aren't any easier answers.

Do they allow you to chew gum? Cinnamon gum is awesome, though maybe an occasional cinnamon hard candy would be acceptable?
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Work is my down fall as well. Only I don't work around food. I am busy most days and often end up working late. This causes less work outs than I would like as well as time for meal making or causing one to be on the run and grab some not so great choices.

I do the gum thing it helps alot. I also carry snacks I can have with me in my purse so that helps when I am tempted or been working to long without eating. Also water water and more water helps too.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Make sure you aren't getting dehydrated at work. It's easy to do when you get busy and you might not take a drink for several hours and you're on your feet. Sometimes dehydration makes you think you're hungry, but you really just need some water. Make an effort to drink more.

Other than that maybe you can ask a co-worker who you feel comfortable with to help keep you in check and tell you no when you reach for those cookies.

I'm lucky I work in an office and don't have to look at food all day, but stay hydrated and good luck!
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Wow! Resisting temptation right in your face takes alot of willpower!

My suggestion would be to preplan your meals the day before, or at least the morning of. Allow yourself healthier
    option treats most days, like a sugar free pudding, or low cal smoothies, etc and calculate those in your dairy ahead
    of time. Then, if you really crave those cookies at work, plan it in your menu 1 time a week, say . . Friday. Don't deprive yourself-
    you deserve a treat now and then, plus if you do deprive yourself, you may end up bingeing.

Also try chewing gum, or if that is not allowed, keep mouthwash in your car. It's not as tempting to eat knowing it will ruin your fresh feeling mouth.

Good Luck!
  • zammex
    zammex Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Oh i know the feeling. well, i know exaktly how you feel. I also work at a subway. and, there is no problem with the lunch. but the cookies. or the chips. well. during the day. not that hard. but when I'm closing. and we have all theese cookies left over....
  • daisymullins
    Options
    i work in a bakery shop! it's the worst thing ever! munching on cookies and buns in the morning, then in the evening chips and pizza! hate it!
  • Katzm2
    Katzm2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You're all so wonderful! Thank you for all the advice :)
    I didn't have a cookie today either yay!
  • LAJessie83
    Options
    I feel the same work is awful although i do not work around food. The problem is all of my coworkers are constantly bringing in food and pressuring me to eat some, plus it is a desk job where i don't get very much exercise so I am constantly fighting the battle. I have placed my computer where it blocks my view of the food so that way if i don't see it i do not want it. I also pack healthy snacks for when i do get hungry that way i don't slip up, and sometimes i will drink a glass of water and if i still want the treat after i have finished the entire glass, i will indulge in half of it.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I work at a Walmart, so at lunch I can go hog-wild. Not good.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I used to work at Subway and had the cookie problem, but I'm working at McDonalds and nothing tempts me more than the breakfast. Usually I stick to oatmeal, but when we switch from breakfast to lunch and there are so many leftover biscuits and griddles, its hard to say no to them. Especially because the biscuits are usually fresh when we have to throw them out. You REALLY just have to stay strong and say now. I failed today, but tomorrow is a new day :D
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I worked at a coffee shop a couple years back and found some of the antics done by coworkers with our bakery selection turned me away from them. I actually still can't drink or smell coffee, roasted or not, without getting nauseous because I had to handle filters the size of newborns full of used and rotting coffee grounds.

Chew gum, suck on hard candy, or try to just emotionally detach yourself from the food, weird as it sounds. Don't think of the stuff as food, edibles, but as supplies. You're not making things people will eat, you're making something like a craft. If you smell something that smells yummy, either have something on hand that smell ghastly that you can sniff or drink a glass of water. Your nose and tongue are connected in tasting so the water can be there as a mode of pretending you took a bite.

If nothing else find where the expired supplies go and expose yourself to that. Sometimes smelling it in rotten form will make us not want it in good form. Took me a long time to go near milk again after a hurricane killed our power for two weeks and I had to clean the fridge and smelled the monstrosity.
  • Katzm2
    Katzm2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one that struggles with weight loss in the food industry. I do well most days.. I just hate when I slip up! >.<
    Thank you everyone for your wonderful support :)