Need some running advice! Beginner

Options
2»

Replies

• CleMike5
    CleMike5 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The problem is your stride. Your stride sucks because of your shoes. Throw your shoes away.

Do you throw your leg out in front of you, straighten it almost completely, and land heel first on the ground? I'm certain you answered yes. And that's your problem.

Some guy above me mentioned that he had the same problem with standard shoes and it went away when he got a pair of Vibram Five Fingers. This guy is basically Albert Einstein compared to your typical runner. Not that I specifically endorse 5-Fingers, but the point is that they take away all the things that shoe companies have added into running shoes to try and sell them to people. Note that I said sell them, and not make them better shoes. That's because given the choice between two nearly identical shoes, the customer will buy the one with "Shock Absorbing Springs" in the bottom. Not knowing that the added cushioning actually makes your running stride go all out of whack and causes injuries. (Seriously, springs? Stranger than fiction..)

Anyways, the idea is that normally without a shoe on you would run on your midfoot because running on your heel is super painful and awkward, and humans have been running (barefoot) for a very very very very very long time, prior to the advent of athletic sneakers (circa 50 years ago). Unfortunately, running shoes with huge soft heels make it much less painful to run that way, striking with your heel at each footfall. Now you're running in an unnatural way that causes leg injuries.

So the way to correct this is relatively simple, go figure out what proper running form is. There's two ways to do this. You could go look around on the internet, there's a lot of videos out there. OR you could just take your shoes off and go stride around the grass / street barefoot for a minute, since you actually already have near perfect running form (minus the shoes).

As for changing your stride, you can invest in a decent pair of running shoes with less cushioning in them, which will *help* correct your problem. Or you can just focus on proper running form and still use your old shoes. If you're going to focus on running form though, I would definitely recommend that at least for a few runs you stay at a slower pace than normal, which should keep you from getting winded which will cause your running form to revert. So run slow and concentrate on good form.

Makes a lot of sense... Thanks for all the info. I have looked online for proper running form and have tried to do less heel striking but I think my shoes are hindering me from really getting it down because the extra heel on the bottom. I am going to try practicing barefoot and then go to a running store to see what kind of shoe would be best for my feet. I will look into those minimalist/barefoot shoes.
  • kristijoanderson
    Options
    you must read the book Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. It is inspiring and educating. It is a great read and will answer all of your questions throughout the great story of the book. You will never run the same again!!!
  • CleMike5
    CleMike5 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    you must read the book Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. It is inspiring and educating. It is a great read and will answer all of your questions throughout the great story of the book. You will never run the same again!!!

I will look into that, thanks!!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    That book inspired me to buy some minimalist shoes and I haven't had shin splints since. I still use regular shoes for longer runs but my minimalist shoes really helped me with my stride.
  • nmcavanaugh
    Options
    Running surface can also be an issue for you if you run on a hard surface. Do you run on concrete? I would recommend running on a local track, cinder trail or if you don't have access to those running on grass, being mindful of the uneven surface to prevent ankle injuries. Run on lower impact surfaces until you can go to a running store where someone will be able to fit you for proper shoes.