Help Cups are confusing me

Options
Hi I am new to this & where a homecooked meal says how many cups what is the weight/size of a cup? Very confused.

Replies

• stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    There are websites that convert from one measurement to another. tsp > tbsp>cup>oz> grams, etc

Just google "convert cups to xxx"
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    one cup = 8 ounces
  • BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    it probably means an 8oz measuring cup.....:drinker:
  • toomuchsweetness
    toomuchsweetness Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    what exactly are you measuring? dry or liquid?
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    A cup is an american measurement of volume. 1 cup of water is approximately equal to 8 fl oz, or 236 ml.
  • bigandy97
    bigandy97 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you all, onwards & downwards (in pounds obviously!!)
  • volvol16
    volvol16 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    1 cup = 8 oz dry weight or liquid measure
    16 oz = 1 lb
    1 lb = 2 cups
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Or, better yet, get yourself a digital scale and weigh in grams.
  • bigandy97
    Options
    Dry things like mixed roasted vegetables, When I make it i make a note of each individual veg, but I can't ask the wife to do this each time she cooks I think she might flip
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    16 oz = 1 lb
    1 lb = 2 cups

1 lb does not = 2 cups, 2 cups are 16 fluid ounces, not weight ounces. Only water will weigh 1lb if 2 cups, as 1L of water = 1 KG, but all other things have different densities causing the weight to be different per the same volume (i.e. 1 cup).

Try measuring 2 cups of strawberries, then weigh it, will not be even close to 1 lb.
  • 17DayDietGal
    17DayDietGal Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree -- get a food scale -- best investment I've ever made.

Because a cup is a cup is a cup is NOT true.

You'd think 6 ounces = 3/4 cup, right? But 6 ounces of blueberries measured out, depending on their size, is more than 1 cup. And when I "cream" my CarbMasters yogurt to get it smoother, 6 ounces = 1/2 cup.

So it depends what you're measuring!
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new to this & where a homecooked meal says how many cups what is the weight/size of a cup? Very confused.

A cup is a unit of volume that is half a pint, a quarter of a quart, and a sixteenth of a gallon.

It's also 8 ounces of volume. The confusing part is that an ounce is both a unit of volume and a unit of weight. An ounce of weight is one ounce of volume only if you are measuring water. For any other substance, the correspondence between ounces of weight and ounces of volume will vary depending on the density of the food.

So a cup of food is always 8 ounces of volume. If it's water, it's also 8 ounces of weight.

Just last night, my husband said "You are going to have two pounds of salad??!?!?!?!?" I didn't understand what he was talking about until he explained that the salad bowl I was using is 32 ounces (volume). If you fill that bowl with water, those 32 ounces of volume weigh 32 ounces or two pounds. But if you fill it with lettuce, those 32 ounces of volume weigh about 3 ounces, because lettuce is much, much less dense than water. I was having about 3 ounces of salad by eating a 32 ounce bowlful. 3 ounces (weight) fill a 32 ounce (volume) bowl.

All of which is to say, I can understand why you're confused because it is confusing!
  • bigandy97
    Options
    So if I had 1000 grams of roasted vegetables it would be difficult to work out the calorific count of the meal. I would rather over-estimate than underestimate
  • toomuchsweetness
    toomuchsweetness Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    16 oz = 1 lb
    1 lb = 2 cups

1 lb does not = 2 cups, 2 cups are 16 fluid ounces, not weight ounces. Only water will weigh 1lb if 2 cups, as 1L of water = 1 KG, but all other things have different densities causing the weight to be different per the same volume (i.e. 1 cup).

Try measuring 2 cups of strawberries, then weigh it, will not be even close to 1 lb.

we said,, I couldnt find the words. :tongue:
  • treetop57
    Options
    So if I had 1000 grams of roasted vegetables it would be difficult to work out the calorific count of the meal. I would rather over-estimate than underestimate

I'm not following you. The main variable in the calorie content of roasted vegetables is how much oil you coat them in. Other than real starchy things like potatoes or sweet potatoes, the vegetables themselves usually end up having negligible calories compared with the oil. But I don't see what that has to do with the question of the weight or volume of a cup of food.
  • ginaquinn2
    ginaquinn2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    16 oz = 1 lb
    1 lb = 2 cups

Please look into " 1 lb = 2 cups" I do not think this is correct. Obviously 2 cups of mushrooms is not going to weigh a pound. 1 pound is 16oz by weight......
  • harr3mi
    harr3mi Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone has addressed this but you can change your settings to Metric measurements FYI.

1 Cup = 8 oz
    2 Cups = 16 oz (A pint a pound the world around)
    2 Pints = Quart
    4 Quarts = Gallon
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    harr3mi wrote:
    A pint a pound the world around

Except where "A pint of water is a pound and a quarter"
  • biglewswife2
    biglewswife2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Usually a cup is 8 ounces. The fun part about losing weight is literally measuring out your foods, it helps with portion control. Getting smaller plates helps with portion control as well, that way you think you are eating more than you are. The website below has great images to help, keep this posted on your fridge for quick reference. Sometimes a cup is too much.

http://diettogo.com/data/fe/image/portion-control-chart-with-calories1(1).gif
  • treetop57
    Options
    Love it! Of course, I have big hands. And you know what that means, right?

Big portions!