Wheat free diet?

Options
concavity
concavity Posts: 143 Member
I need tips on how to avoid or replace wheat in my diet, its found in the strangest places really. Any replacements for bread for like a sandwich or something other than the expensive gluten free ones? Rice bread maybe?

Replies

• scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I do sandwiches wrapped in a romaine lettuce leaf. I know it's not the same, but it does the trick.

Besides, I'd rather have more meat/fillings instead of wasting calories on bread! :wink:
  • thirtytwopostcards
    Options
    I have to eat gluten free due to having coeliac disease, and I can say that most gluten/wheat free products taste bad and are generally very high in calories/fat. I would try avoiding bread all together rather than wasting money on bad tasting bread. Gluten free crackers seem to be ok, so you could try having them more with healthy toppings. If you want bread I think rye bread is wheat free, but not gluten free.

You could try having more salads made of chunky cut up raw vegetables and having some nuts and/or seeds with it so you get some protein in there. You could also have a small pot of humus to dip them in if that is too boring for you.
  • jfeh
    jfeh Posts: 30
    Options
    Wheat Belly Flax Seed Wrap Recipe

3 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    Pinch of sea salt
    1 tablespoon coconut oil
    1 tablespoon water
    1 large egg

DIRECTIONS

Mix together the ground flaxseeds, baking powder, onion powder, paprika and salt in a small bowl. Stir in the 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Beat in the egg and 1 tablespoon water until blended.
    Grease a microwave-safe glass or plastic pie pan with coconut oil. Pour in the batter and spread evenly over the bottom. Microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes until cooked. Let cool for 5 minutes.

Also Udi's gluten free wheat bread is the only gluten free bread I've tried that is really quite good. Still expensive, but I keep some in the freezer for those times when I just want a piece of toast.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I just avoid all bread like things, since I usually don't think fake tastes as good. I can't remember where, but some Paleo site had almond and coconut flour bun recipes though.
  • concavity
    Options
    Thank you for the link the only problem is that I'm allergic to coconut but I will recc the link to some friends.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Boo-- I'm sure that there are some other flours you could maybe use? I haven't played with alternative flours, so this is going to be an interesting experiment for me :)
  • concavity
    Options
    I never thought of lettuce leaves, thank you for that! I will try that next time I have the urge for a wrap.
  • concavity
    Options
    I'm only used to using cake flour and regular flour, I'll look into almond flour though since I already love almond milk and try making something small with that.

I hope your experiment goes well and ends up tasty =]
  • winonajosephine
    winonajosephine Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Udi's gluten free bread, especialy the millet chia, is delish, can even been eaten without toasting. That is saying alot because most GF bread are only palatable toasted