Tips for rolling out of bed in AM to workout??

Options
LISA921
LISA921 Posts: 22 Member
The best time for me to exercise is in the early am. Which means I have to get up at 4:50 to get out the door at 6:35 (plus get a toddler ready for daycare!). I did great last week - but this week has been really challenging for me for some reason!! I'm doing Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. Does anyone have any tips for staying motivated to get up that early??? It's just so hard for me - I am a major snooze button hitter!!!

Replies

• mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I also get up at 4:45 to exercise...its worth it to me because at the end of the day there are too many distractions and too many excuses!

I struggled alot until a group of friends and I formed an accountability group. All we do is email each other each day with the exercise we did for that day...Let me tell you when I am tempted to sleep in, all I have to do is think about the email I will have to send saying I did nothing!!!!

an accountability group is also a very encouraging way to stay motivated...we cheer each other on and try to help each other when we aren't so motivated :)
  • BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    move the alarm clock to where you must get out of bed to shut if off...then your up!
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Set your alarm clear across the room so you physically need to get up to turn it off... helps for me
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I get up at that time to hit the gym. Make your alarm some sound you truly hate. You'll fly out of bed to shut the damn thing off. Then you're awake, angry and ready to tackle the day!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Once I wake up, I get my pre-workout snack and drink in and just play some music to get the motivation going and to help with waking up. Just moving around a lot for the first 10-20 minutes usually wakes me up and I'm ready to go. My motivation is just thinking about the fact that after classes or work, I am not going to feel so great trying to workout or have time so I have to get it done.
    Sometimes I have somebody waiting on me or expecting me to show up to the gym at a certain time too so that helps. Do you have a friend who might want to try it out with you?
  • lsorensen130
    lsorensen130 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Thanks everyone for posting the idea of moving the alarm clock! I'm going to try that tomorrow morning! Feel free to "friend" me if you want to know if it works!
  • Utterly_Butterly
    Utterly_Butterly Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I could have written your exact OP.

I hate the mornings with a passion. I would rather have an extra 20 mins in bed!!

I am going to try putting my alarm out of reach so that I am up. I am also going to move my mobile away from my bed. I usually lie in reading the news when I could be up and out of bed.
  • kuregisto
    kuregisto Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm absent-minded, so I had to set an alarm on my phone to remind me to go to bed at a set time. Any variation tends to mean that I sleep through my (3) alarms in the morning.

When I stick to it, it makes getting up and moving much easier.
  • lynnetted43
    lynnetted43 Posts: 252
    Options
    i get up at 4 am every morning. the alarm goes off i rollout the opposite side of the bed to walk to it turn on the light and shut off the alarm. my workout clothes are already out so i get dressed, do what i need to do and im working out by 4:10.
  • LISA921
    Options
    Thanks to everyone!! Even just reading all the responses helped me realize I'm not the ONLY crazy person getting up so early to work out! I found the most annoying alarm sound on my iPhone and turned OFF the snooze button setting.... What a small change to make that made a huge difference! I was out of bed at 4:55 this am - it wasn't easy, but just not quite as difficult, haha.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    One of my friends who's into super-early AM workouts told me she sleeps in her workout clothes so there's literally no excuse...
  • LISA921
    Options
    One of my friends who's into super-early AM workouts told me she sleeps in her workout clothes so there's literally no excuse...

I do this too. :) A tank top and shorts and i leave a sports bra and my shoes/socks in the bathroom the night before. I also queue up my DVD the night before...
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    This forum makes me realize I'm lucky... I'm not a morning person at all! I go to bed at 10 every night and get up at 8 (when I don't work out).

I struggle to get up at 7 to be able to work out in the mornings so I give major props to all of you that get up in the 4 o'clock hour.

Of course, my apartment's fitness center is only open from 7:30-5:45 and I work 9-6. =/
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have to do it in the morning, I have a group of ladies that worksout in the evening and I rarely attend. I work 2 jobs on average 50 - 60 hours a week and I tell you I am so good at putting off workouts at night. I simply tell myself this is not an option I have to get out of bed and do this. I leave my workout clothes next to my bed, hit snooze 1 time, get up, get dressed. Let the dogs out to potty, load them & myself with my work clothes into the car and we're off.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options

I may just try this. I am NOT a morning person and can't seem to get my butt out of bed for an A.M. workout! THANK YOU!
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that you have to go to bed early to get up early! It took about a month to get used to the "new" sleep routine.