Joined a gym

Options
LA Fitness, seems like a good gym.

I have a appointment with a trainer tomorrow. :grumble: : He said "Prepare for a good workout, you will lose about 1000 calories." After I picked up my jaw off the ground I asked, "I'm going to be sick tomorrow, right? Like, throw up, huh:huh: ?" He looked at me and laughed. :noway: He seems like a good guy though, we started talking about diet today, and said I was right about protein, I need more than what I was getting prior to protein shakes.

Wish me luck :ohwell:

Replies

• vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Good job! Wear good shoes, a very supportive bra and some nice fitting clothes (nothing baggy for it seams to get in the way) Also take a couple of bottles of water and a hand towel, for I think you are going to need it!! I start training 4 gals this week and they are very excited! I will not be making them burn 1000 calories in a workout but I know it will be 500!!! I am proud of you for taking care of yourself!!
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yep, I stopped and got actually "work out" clothes. It's official. lol. Got three outfits. I have nike shocks, but I think I'm going to get new ones, they aren't very comfortable. The trainer said to get running shoes. But, I'm going to wait till tomorrow to see exactly which running shoes to get.

Thanks, I'm proud too. Nervous, but proud. Ha!
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Very cool!! I joined LA fitness in March, and I love it!! I have a gym at home, but I get so distracted and don't get a good workout in. I love going to the gym. I figure this is money well spent:happy:
  • Kpablo
    Options
    Yeah, the starting fee was alright, not cheap, but certainly not the most of all the gyms around. Then 30 bucks a month. Can't beat 30 bucks a month. I'm going to work out tonight, and use their sauna, sweat my fat away. ha! just kidding.
  • tlapdx72
    Options
    yeah I love the sauna after a good workout:love: I am going to go later today. I havent used my free session with a trainer yet. You will have to let me know how that went. It was funny, when I joined LA they told me that they aren't cheap because they take care of their gym, so the monthly fees are more expensive. However I only pay 25/month, and the other gyms i called were going to charge me $50/month lol:laugh:
  • Kpablo
    Options
    Yep, same here, I called everywhere and it was 400 to sign up, LA was 226 after tax and everything. 25$ I got jipped lol.

My husband is all for me getting a trainer. They said it ranged between 30 to 60 bucks each time, we'll see. I figure if I can spend that much on a private trainer for my dog, I can do that for myself. I think a trainer would push me harder than I would push myself.

BTW, I worked out my first time there this evening. 60 minutes of jogging/walking. 374 calories burned, woo hoo. I got a shin splint in my right leg for the first 35 minutes, and after it went away it was much easier. I can't believe I still walked and jogged, that hurt! Ha!
  • tlapdx72
    Options
    good job!! I too went to the gym today. I did an hour on cardio machines: elliptical, crosstrainer and stairmaster. I also used a couple of the weight machines. I always watch the trainers training peoople. It kinda scares me lol. However one thing I have done is listened to what they are saying to their client hehe. it has helped me kinda with getting better ideas on what I should do. lol:happy:
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    good luck!
    I go to LA and have a trainer, I love it, love it love it! let us know what he has you do !
  • Kpablo
    Options
    Had a 90 minute workout, burn 945 calories with the trainer! Gah, I'm tired.

So, not only did I join the gym yesterday, I signed up for a personal trainer for 12 months 6 times a month. Goodbye fat :) So excited
  • Tamishumate
    Options

So, not only did I join the gym yesterday, I signed up for a personal trainer for 12 months 6 times a month. Goodbye fat :) So excited

ok 6 times a month? I must know how much that is costing you at LA fit. if you dont want to post it here feel free to send me a message! And where do you live? thanks!
  • myztic
    myztic Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yay great job on calories burned. Would you be able to give us examples as to what you did that burned 945 calories since I don't have a trainer. I dunno how to burn that much at gym
  • tlapdx72
    Options
    wow that's great 945 cals burned!! I am curious what he had you do. Did he have you on weights, and also on the cardio machines? Do you pay a monthly fee for the trainer, or did you have to pay a lump sum? I have thought about getting a trainer, but I am kinda nervous. I thought that I would just try to do it on my own. What do you think. Do you feel more confident about your future results using the trainer? Does the trainer also help you with diet ideas?:flowerforyou:
  • Kpablo
    Options

ok 6 times a month? I must know how much that is costing you at LA fit. if you dont want to post it here feel free to send me a message! And where do you live? thanks!

Trainer is 180 a month, then the actual membership is 30.

I live in Plano, TX. About 10-20 minutes north of Dallas.
  • Kpablo
    Options
    Yay great job on calories burned. Would you be able to give us examples as to what you did that burned 945 calories since I don't have a trainer. I dunno how to burn that much at gym

I'll admit I don't know what some of the equipment and workouts were, but I'll try to explain the best way I can. And here's a sight of showing a bicep curl and shoulder press. http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/dumbbellexercises.html. But please note, I did my lunges way different than the picture this website illustrates.

First we started on the treadmill. 3.0 incline and 3.5 mph. While walking on the treadmill I had 5 pound weights in each hand, I did shoulder presses for I think one minute at a time with a 30 second break. I did this for 5 minutes, twice. (10 minutes total ) He allowed me to do bicep curls when my shoulders got tired. (not all together, through out the treadmill workout, five minutes at a time.)

After getting rid of the weights he inclined the treadmill to 15 (full incline) which I walked at 3.7 mph for one minute, three times. (not all together, through out the treadmill workout.)

Then I jogged at 5.7 mph at a 3.0 incline for one minute, three times. (not all together, through out the treadmill workout.)

Second, we moved to to the leg pressed, did I think 12 reps and three sets.

Third, we did lunges, I'll start off my saying, I HATE FREAKING LUNGES! Anyways, I had the five pound weights on hand, and with each knee down i did shoulder presses. Knee down, hands up. Knee up, hands down. etc. it was tricky, I'm not very coordinated. 6 reps of 3 sets.

Then we got to the mats. I put my hands in the air, thumbs and index fingers together to make a diamond and did sit ups, kind of. Don't really know how to explain them. Chin up towards the ceiling. 12 reps of 3 sets.

Next, I got a BIG exercise ball. Big. BIG! I had to put the ball in-between my feet hand above my head, body parallel to the ground. At the same time meet hands to my feet (with the ball) and exchange the ball from my feet to my hands. Did that 8 times 2 reps. This was the hardest.

Then, without the ball, I laid parallel to the ground. Hands under my behind where my hip bones touch the ground. I'm not sure if he had me put my hands under my bum because my hip bones hurt touching the ground or if it's because that's the exercise. Anyways, I picked my legs up, keeping the straight, and went from a horizontal positions with my legs to a vertical position. Always toes pointed to the ceiling. 12 reps of 2.

Last thing I did was leg curls at 10 pounds. I did it slowly with toes to the ceiling. 10 reps of one with both legs, then 10 isolation's of each leg, then re-did it.

Oh and also, when you use weights, you should put your thumb on the same side as your nuckles. Your thumb and hand doesn't circle the dumbells. Makes sense?

That's it. :tongue:
  • MollySue30
    MollySue30 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Congratz on your great workout. I have a membership to La Fitness too...It is hard for me to get there during the week. I do see a personal trainer 2 days a week. I love her to death. She isn't a trainer at La fitness but she does have her own studio. Her prices are lot better than what I can afford through La..but it is all worth it. I am hoping that I can keep all of this up..going to be very busy but it makes me feel so good. I am hopeing to hit the gym this week besides seeing her too...
  • Tamishumate
    Options
    thanks for the info!
  • myztic
    myztic Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    wow that sounds like a lot of hard work, good job on keeping up! and thank you so much for the breakdown... seems doable for me! :)
  • Kpablo
    Options
    No problemo.

I have a cardio workout with a trainer today and measurements.

I'm sore. lol
  • Kpablo
    Options
    Burned another 845 calories.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

Trainer is 180 a month, then the actual membership is 30.

I live in Plano, TX. About 10-20 minutes north of Dallas.

I go to LA Fitness is Lewisville! Maybe one day we can work out together! :smile: