I don't want to be the big girl anymore

Options
Current stats:
30 years old
5'6", 279lbs
Pant/Dress Size: 24W
Goal Weight: 145-160lbs

For a long time I just told people "I might be bigger, but I'm comfortable in my own skin.. I don't need to be skinny." I've been lucky enough not to have any serious medical conditions and my bloodwork is always good (BP, cholesterol, etc.). But, I'm not happy with the status quo anymore.

I haven't weighed less than 200lbs since 6th grade. Sad, but true. I've always carried my weight well, which is probably why I haven't been as self-conscious about it as some others. My lowest adult weight was 205 (in 2001).

Since then, my weight has slowly increased. Back in January, I weighed 295. That number scared the crap out of me. I didn't want to be 300lbs. My 24W jeans didn't fit very well anymore and I really didn't want to go any higher than that. I kept an eye on what I was eating (half-assed, but it was some sort of effort) just to prevent myself from getting any bigger.

A few weeks ago I read an article about the downsides of Coca-Cola. Apparently, a t-bone steak will completely dissolve in 3 days if you leave it in a Coke bath. The phosphoric acid in brown colas leaches the calcium out of your bones. ... I could go on. For some reason, this article clicked with me. I hardly drink any soda anymore (even when I did/do, it's always diet). I remember thinking "if only I could find an article that will click with me about losing weight."

I finally decided I didn't need an article to tell me what I already knew. Having a BMI of 42+ was not good. Something needed to change. Earlier this week, I joined a website dedicated to the Zone Diet which has recipes that I can easily follow, and I'm using MFP to track it all.

I'm not expecting anything unrealistic. I know a 1-2lb weight loss per week is good progress. It took me a long time to get where I am, so I know it'll take me a while to get where I want to be. I honestly don't know where the 15lbs went that I lost since January. Either my mom's scale is faulty or I was especially hydrated that day :)

Anyway, I'm ready to say goodbye to my "I'm fat, so what?" attitude. I'm not okay with it anymore. Here's to staying motivated!

Replies

• jesscaponigro
    jesscaponigro Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I used to be the "big girl" in the room, family, class, work, etc. I woke up one day when I hit about 235 pounds and was wearing a size 20, and said I don't want to be big anymore! That was 8 years ago. I joined MFP back in November after I had gotten down to 165 or so, and I met my goal weight in April of 145. I still can't believe how far I have come. If you need some extra support please feel free to add me as a friend. And good luck on your journey!
  • Manderator
    Manderator Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was so where you are! I started my journey at 270lbs. I'm losing slow and steady and feel great already! I gave up soda as well and only have it once in a blue moon... now if I could only put down the sweet tea lol.

My journey began one day when I realized I was out of breath just from taking a shower. Being a stay at home mom had a very bad affect on my weight and things had just snow balled.

I'm learning slowly about what I should be putting in my body compared to what I want to put in it. I think after Memorial Day weekend and some major fast food eating I realized how sluggish and bad I felt and I so don't want to ever feel like that again. I can't believe the crap I was putting in me day after day.

Feel free to friend me if you want :D I can always use more friends to encourage and be encouraging on my journey :D

Best of luck to you!!!!!
  • LrdTwitchyMcChin
    Options
    My heaviest was about 265. Last summer I got down to almost under 200 (about 205) and then I got into a new relationship. I went back up to 230 and have maintained that weight since last fall. I also don't have any health risks (yet) with my weight, but I'm sick of being the "fat girl" amongst my friends. It's time for me to get back on track. Right now I weighed in (on Tuesday) at 226.6. My goal is to be between 130-145 (we'll see where I feel healthiest). I would love to motivate each other on this journey. We have a lot in common as far as stats and goals. Feel free to add me!
  • jen7eleven
    jen7eleven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Similar story here. I topped out at 260 and then was diagnosed with T2 diabetes a few years ago. I've been maintaining around 230 but I really want to get down at least 50 lbs more (but I set my goals at 5 lb intervals to keep from feeling overwhelmed). Feel free to add me!
  • penny01966
    penny01966 Posts: 8
    Options
    Let's forget those big girl panties! We're done being big!! You/We can do it!!
  • vltaylor35
    vltaylor35 Posts: 72
    Options
    welcome to MFP, im sure you will do really well with the continued support of other motivated and like minded people. i joined a few months ago at 280 pounds and a bmi of 42. im currently 259lbs with a bmi of 38. still a long road ahead but im making small steps. feel free to add me as a friend
  • jenirobinson
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! You have described me to a tee!! Please feel free to add me as a weightloss buddy.
    Today is my 81st day and I have lost a total of 63 pounds all by diet and exercise. I was shocked into losing weight when I saw the scale hit 299.9....never did I want to say I was a 300 pound woman! E-gadd. WE CAN DO THIS!!:flowerforyou:
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! I am certain that you will find it to be a great tool as you work towards reaching your fitness and weight loss goals!! My heaviest weight was also nearly 300 lbs, so I can completely relate to your story. It sounds like you are committed to doing this the right way, so I am sure you will find success!! Feel free to send me a friend request if you would like!
  • kkwebster
    kkwebster Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I understand your situation because I am there myself.

You can do it!!
  • eloquentoctopus
    eloquentoctopus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I am also new to this site and also sick of being the big girl. I have always been really thin and skinny and active and now I'm the opposite at 238lbs. You are doing an awesome thing by taking charge of your fitness and I am here for you if you ever need any motivation! We all know it can be hard to stick to things when we don't have the motivation to do it. Cheers!
  • nil8r
    nil8r Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Welcome! My own story is not too different from yours and recently started examining my life and making changes. I joined MFP recently and have had a positive exerience so far. I really appreciate the non-judgemental and supportiveness of other members.

I hope you find a similar experience here, and make lots of new friends. It's good motivation to see others doing well and when you have a not-so-successful day, others can encourage you to "get back on the horse" as they say. The biggest immediate transformation is re-discovering "real food" and cooking more frequently instead of relying heavily on takeaway and restaurants.
  • krbates84
    krbates84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am beginning my journey too. The weight has crept on me slowly since college. I'm 27 and weight around 200 lbs. I started the 30 day shred yesterday to kickstart my working out regularly. I am here for support! We can do this~!!! :)
  • NikkiLS28
    NikkiLS28 Posts: 43
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement! My boyfriend is supportive, but he's gone most of the week for work, and my family is on the other side of the state. It'll be nice to have similarly motivated people 'around' me :)

I'm going to do measurements tonight so I can track my progress that way as well. The number on the scale isn't my only focus. I'm hoping the first fat to go (as it was the last to gain) is my back fat - ugh!