Suggestions for having a more active lifestyle

Options
ctooch99
ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
Just throwing this out there to see what folks do. I am pretty fit, regular P90Xer, play adult inline hockey. I live just outside of Philly in NJ (fairly flat, congested and uninteresting). Was just curious as to what types of activities others do to genuinely live an "active" lifestyle.

I consider myself active, but am I really? Not sure. I do exercise regularly and I do play a sport and I do like to work outside (like mow the lawn and yardwork) - so is this active? I feel like I should be incorporating more "fun" active stuff into my life instead of just grinding out P90x workouts every day (don't get me wrong I love it).

What sort of things do people do to have fun, enjoy the ride we call life and stay fit and active without being slaves to the gym and DVD player? I would think environment and climate help.... Just curious.

Replies

• GoBucks34
    GoBucks34 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It helps to exercise with friends and do activities with them. Then it is fun, and not just exercising. I love swimming.
  • michelechavez
    Options
    I bike ride as often as I can with friends. On June 10th, I will be doing the 50-miler in the LA River Ride and on August 18th, I will be doing the metric century (62 miles) Cool Breeze ride in Ventura.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    i love walking, hiking, camping, gardening, bike riding, swimming, volleyball. I guess i just like being outside and not sitting on the sidelines all the time like i was doing a few years ago
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Borrow a dog and get walking! :flowerforyou:
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Climbing, slacklining, hiking, paddling...
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Walk to the store instead of taking a car, take the stairs instead of an elevator, ride a bike, swim, jog/run, go hiking, dance, build something (for example: a table or a shed), jump rope, clean the house, clean your garage, just keep your body in motion.
  • ctooch99
    Options
    Great suggestions! Thanks
  • rmaxlynn
    rmaxlynn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty lucky to live in a great climate, so I can hike a lot. I have a guide for hikes in the area and try to challenge myself and also have fun.

Also, I've never heard of P90X. Is it working for you?
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I finally talked DW into Kayaking this summer. Also we go walking on a nearby trail and plan some hiking in the mountains now that it is summer.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    More sex. Very serious suggestion.
  • ctooch99
    Options
    I'm pretty lucky to live in a great climate, so I can hike a lot. I have a guide for hikes in the area and try to challenge myself and also have fun.

Hiking is something I really want to get into!
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    Fortunately, I live in San Diego which has some of the best weather in the world. The environment is conducive to bike riding, surfing, swimming, running, etc. I have a couple dogs that I have to walk every day. That is one way to get some added excercise. Find friends who do athletic things like playing soccer or softball or swimming.
  • ctooch99
    Options
    More sex. Very serious suggestion.

Hahahaha - and a good one. Recently divorced, so yeah I am missing one important piece of equipment for that activity :)
  • lpeterson
    lpeterson Posts: 36
    Options
    I play basketball with friends, go biking, play golf, and play on a intramural volleyball team.

653924.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Walking to the store. Take the stairs. Park far so you have to walk. If you have small kids, use the stroller and go for runs/ walks. Get your friends together and plan a soccer game or kickball game- fun! Use the pool more often. When watching tv do some stretches or any exercise you can while sitting there (last night I did push ups while watching Dawson's Creek :bigsmile:).
  • ctooch99
    Options

Also, I've never heard of P90X. Is it working for you?

P90X is fantastic - truly has gotten me into the best shape in my life. Can't say enough good things about Tony Horton - you will either love him or hate him - but either way he will get you fit if you commit to it.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    When the snow melts, I'm DYING to get outside, get my bike tuned up, go for a run along the beach, or find a place to hike. Exerting energy is fun for me now, where it wasn't before. Exercise and activity should be enjoyable, and the more you do it, the more your body becomes accustomed to it.
  • ctooch99
    Options
    When the snow melts, I'm DYING to get outside, get my bike tuned up, go for a run along the beach, or find a place to hike. Exerting energy is fun for me now, where it wasn't before. Exercise and activity should be enjoyable, and the more you do it, the more your body becomes accustomed to it.

You still have snow??? Alaska?
  • dmcohee
    dmcohee Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My 4 kids keep me very active! Playing like a kid at the playground is tough work! Monkey bars, running, climbing, jumping, etc. We're outside every chance we get playing soccer, catch, frisbee, racing. We don't get sitters often so we make in house date nights playing X-Box 360 or Wii. Better than sitting on the couch :-) We also love getting a group of friends together to play kickball or soccer. I don't consider myself hardcore active, but I definitely don't have much time to sit around. Winter is another story...
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I would not consider myself active at all. I dated a woman for a while that I would consider very active. I got a large taste of what "being active" means. While I do lots of stuff, sailing, running, workout 7 days a week, and other things. I have a lot of downtime too. I watch movies and read, and play my guitar and just like lots of quiet space in my life. This woman, wasn't liek that at all. 24/7. If she sat for too long, she got bored and would take a nap. When she was up, she was moving all the time, always going somewhere, or doing something. I'm just not like that at all. I have lazy Sundays sometimes, or whatever.

So, no, I do not consider myself active. I am in-between lazy and active. I do things, like I might go run 10 miles, but then I'll lay around the house for 4 or 5 hours afterward. Then, I'll get off my butt and go do something with friends or whatever. So, I'm kind of a lazy-active person. LOL. I dont' know. I never knew the difference until I was with that woman.

Thinking back, my dad is a lot like that woman too. Always moving. I'm just not like that.

Oh, sorry, no suggesitons.