Low Calorie Ice Cream/Frozen Dessert Recipes?

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
Anyone know of any fairly simple recipes for low calorie ice cream type desserts ?
I don't know if you can freeze greek yoghurt with stuff mixed in as I have not tried, but I recently got a blender and want to try making some frozen desserts, to keep me off the Ben and Jerry's.

Replies

• graelwyn
    Options
    Bump
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I think someone posted in a different thread that they freeze bananas and then put them in a food processor.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I really don't have time to actually "make" mine. I end up just getting Skinny Cow and Weight Waters desserts. YUM!
  • 622beech
    622beech Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Kemps - Vanilla Frozen Yogurt - Fat Free, 1 Cup (65g)

180 calories. Tastes just as good as any vanilla ice cream.
  • maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    I eat regular full fat ice cream, I just eat it out of a measuring cup so I know how much I'm getting. I feel way more satisfied with less of the regular stuff, and I don't like eating sugar substitutes like in Skinny Cow and WW because they give me... ahem... gastrointestinal distress :P For example I just ate 1/4 cup of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, 70 calories and it totally hit the spot.
  • BelleHeart
    BelleHeart Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    freeze bananas and put them in the food processor!!! it is AMAAAAZING!! it has the consistency of ice cream but is soooooo low in calories
  • louwanna
    louwanna Posts: 6
    Options
    I saw this on Dr. Ozz. Take a flavored Greek yogurt and put it in a pastry bag or a baggie then cut off the corner.
    Squeeze drops on a cookie sheet and freeze. Then put them in a freezer bag. I tried it and it's a good snack.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at the Yonana, which produces something like soft-serve ice cream from frozen bananas. I'm guessing adding a spoonful of Chocolate PB2 would be good and satisfy a chocolate craving without any damage to your diet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QUvcXchIPU
  • CapsFan17
    CapsFan17 Posts: 198
    Options
    I make smoothies with frozen bananas, skim milk, peanutbutter, hershey syrup and ice. Maybe not low cal but it sure is yummy!!
  • christykirby
    christykirby Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree - my fav ice cream substitute is a frozen banana. Peel and slice a banana and freeze it (I take a cookie sheet that fits in my freezer, line with waxed paper and do a bunch at once then put in individual baggies I can just grab when needed). Add the frozen banana to your blender (I use a Magic Bullet with the short cup), and blend until it's the consistency of soft serve ice cream. Sometimes I have to add a splash of non-dairy milk such as almond, rice, or coconut to get things to come together. You can add all kinds of different things to it like 1 TBS peanut or other nut butter, 1 tsp cocoa powder, or other fruit. I LOVE ice cream, and this really does hit the spot for me. :happy:
  • graelwyn
    Options
    Thanks, never tried the banana thing, but shall give it a go over the weekend.
  • SMJ1987
    SMJ1987 Posts: 368
    Options
    I love mixing 1/2 cup of greek yogurt (mine is 90 calories and 8 gm protein!) and 3 TBSP of Cool Whip (35 cals). Tastes like an AMAZING mousse type of dessert. Light and fluffy almost. So so so so so good.
  • erinnia
    erinnia Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Take a look in the supermarkets for Yoomoo frozen yoghurts - I've seen them in Tesco, Sainsburys and Morrisons. Tropicoolmoo is my favourite (it tastes just like a Solero), but are only about 140 calories for 150ml pot
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Take a tin of any kind of fruit (plums are really good) and drain the juice, then freeze the fruit. Put the frozen fruit into a food processor and blend up until smooth, add back a little of the reserved juice until it is the texture you want = instant sorbet!!

Also blend up frozen banana and add any other frozen fruit you like (my favourite is blueberries) and you have a lovely icecream substitute - it has a really creamy texture! You can just do banana on its own, but it is a bit of a gross colour.

Grrrrrr - I wish I could change the spell check setting!! In my country we use a lot more 'u's' than in America!!