Finally got a HRM - now I'm confused!!

Options
Hi everyone - I've finally took the plunge and got myself a HRM, nothing fancy just a basic model.

I used it tonight at Zumba and it read that I burned around 650 calories in the class - when I put "aerobics, general" for 50 minutes in it only reads 380 calories!

I'm going to wear it a few times and take the average to get a realistic figure, but this seems hugely high - I was thinking that MFP was overestimating, hence buying a HRM. Do people reckon I should go with the HRM or stick with the lower MFP figure??

Thanks for any advice/replies!

Mel

Replies

• NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The HRM should be accurate, especially if it has a chest strap. It calculates your calorie burn by using your ht, wt, and VO2. I burn 800 calories when I do an hour of zumba. When I lose more weight and my fitness level increases, then I will burn less calories for the same exercise.
  • treromano
    treromano Posts: 38
    Options
    HMR is way more accurate than anything you are using because it puts in your personal info. ENJOY the BURN!
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Use the HRM. First, Zumba is more intense than aerobics. Second, the calorie burn that MFP gives you is an "average." It's usually way off. Once you start putting in your personal numbers and creating your own exercises MFP will calculate your personal average which will be a lot closer to the real number.

Have fun with your HRM!! :)
  • melissa2807
    melissa2807 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wow - I'm really amazed at that! (and pleased - now I can eat more lol)
    I did have to put weight and age into it when I set it up so stands to reason it would be more accurate, I just couldn't believe my eyes I think!
    Looking forward to trying it at body combat tomorrow, I feel like I work loads harder in that than zumba!
    Thanks for replies! Xx
  • tcm118
    tcm118 Posts: 54
    Options
    As long as it uses a chest strap, then you're good to go. The pulse rate monitors are not nearly as good.
  • melissa2807
    melissa2807 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes I meant to say before, it does have a chest strap. Wow I'm still amazed haha! Only thing I will have to remember is to change the settings when (hopefully) I lose weight!
    x