3-4 mile AM runners-do eat anything first?

Options
I run 3-4 miles, 3-4 times a week first thing in the morning. I usually do not eat anything before I run, but heard that eating something may help me run better. But then someone else said it would give me cramps. Does anyone have any experience/input on this?

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat anything personally.
  • bluu09
    bluu09 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hey Vicki. This is what works for me. If i run as soon as i wake up, i don't eat. I just drink a little water. I would get a stomach ache if I did eat. If I start my run about an hour after I wake, i will have a small cereal bar or oatmeal. That is more so just to curb hunger than because I actually need the energy. I am also training for a triathlon, so on those days, I wake up early just so I can eat a small item. Then i use gels and gatorade. The only reason I use concentrated foods is because it isn't filling so I don't get stomach cramps. This is what works for me but I think I tend to cramp easier than most people if I eat to close to a run. Speaking from an energy standpoint, I personally think most people have enough reserves in their body to do a 3-4 mile run on an empty stomache.
  • LaurieT907
    LaurieT907 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I usually try to have a piece of toast with peanut butter on it before I go. I've tried having a banana, but they gave me a stomachache so I switched. It's really dependent on your body.
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I would say, if you are okay running without eating, then continue doing that. As for me, I can't exercise on an empty stomach, I end up feeling lightheaded and can't put forth the effort.
  • Hrl1993
    Hrl1993 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I like to eat something small or else I get dizzy. It also helps to get me going! I'll usually have half of a banana or something. Just the right amount of sugar, carbs and potassium I need to keep me until breakfast :)
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Lately, because of the heat, I've been running in the morning. I drink a glass of iced coffee with sugar and soy milk before I go out. It's quick energy from the caffeine and sugar, and it's hydrating.
  • kuregisto
    kuregisto Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I usually prefer to eat something small about 15-30 minutes before I run. Most often, a plain bagel. That and a glass of water and I end up feeling considerably better on the road.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating before AM runs about a year ago, I feel great and get extra sleep!
  • vicki81868
    vicki81868 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input! Sounds like I'll keep doing what I'm doing (not eating) until (or if) I start running longer distances. Thanks again!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I run in the mornings on the weekend but usually 10+ and I eat an hour or so before. I would probably still have something before but it's hard to say.
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    Maybe like half a grapefruit, but usually NO. Save the food for when you get back. It'll just cause cramping.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I drink water and take my chewable b vitamins and I may eat a tablespoon of jellybeans before hand if I am just dragging
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat before I do a 3 mile run in the morning. Anything over 6 miles, yes, but less than that, nope.
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    yes, i have tried both ways and found eating, I run faster and easier and enjoy it more versus the dragging and feeling lathargic. you can see my diary, coffee and a 11.5 oz v8 , I slam the v8 in 20 seconds or less at 530am, drink the cofee slowly, chase it with a tall glass of water. do a few morning chores, 20 minutes and i am out the door. feels great.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I eat a protein bar before I go out for my run, but that's it. I also don't bring water, or drink water before, I don't like it sloshing in my stomach.
  • hollywilli
    hollywilli Posts: 5
    Options
    I started eating half of a banana and a few sips of water before my run and saw improvement over going without eating.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Something small like an oatmeal bar.
  • Meevz
    Meevz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Carbs 2 hours before a run is ideal but since I wake up and run I usually don't eat anything unless I run more than 4 miles, then I need the fuel to keep going. Its just personal preference and how your own body responds. I like to weigh in right after a good workout so on weigh-in days I def. don't eat before.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I don't for distances like that, I'd have to stop along the way with stomach issues. For longer runs (12+ miles) I'll eat something and build in time after eating and before leaving to take care of business and avoid the stomach issues while running.

Having said that, everyone is different. I have a friend who won't eat anything before running a marathon, she gets too nervous. Once she gets moving she'll quickly eat on the run (literally) to get some energy.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Normally for a run of that mileage I don't. Anything over maybe 8 miles and I eat some pnut butter toast about 45 minutes before my run.