Tracking tip

Options
Hey all,

I posted this in response to another thread, but a couple people have mentioned it may help others, so here you go... my tip to staying on track.

Here is what I did...

I got a daily planner (a month spread over two pages) with the days blocked. Basically a calendar.

When I am under my calorie goal, I give myself a green sticker (small round one's you can get at any business supply store, and probably dollar store), a red one if I am over, a blue one if I get all of my 8 cups or more of water in and a yellow one if I get my exercise in.

I hate the look of the red stickers over the page, so this motivates me to stay under. I can also see at a glance how my month is going and what days I tend to slack a bit. It has helped me tremendously. I keep track of my weight and exercise by writing on that day and I write in my measurements the last day of every month. I use it as a planner as well so I can see where I might have a BBQ or bad day coming up.

I hope this helps some of you... it definitely keeps me on track! (and shows a bit of my OCD) :blushing:

Replies

• mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Great idea! Thank you!
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    GREAT idea! Thanks for the tip!
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to steal this idea... not just because I know it will help, but it's one more thing to show my wife and my roommate to try to motivate them... they both tried this for all of a week and gave up.
  • daisymullins
    Options
    definitely doing this! when you say calorie goal, do you mean with or without exercise taken into consideration? x
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I saw this idea on a video on youtube but I cant remember from who. I thought it was awesome though but I know I'd never keep up with it
  • erikkasusann
    erikkasusann Posts: 104
    Options
    Brilliant! Thanks for posting!
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Good Idea! Thanks
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    definitely doing this! when you say calorie goal, do you mean with or without exercise taken into consideration? x

Both, if I am green on MFP, I am green in my book. It also helps if I am about 100 calories or so over, I make sure I exercise more to be in the green... I'm not going red for a few calories!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Good idea
  • Jamie2007
    Jamie2007 Posts: 169
    Options
    Excellent idea. Good for you!!!
  • msmimi
    msmimi Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I like it! I will implement this idea because I tend to be visual. Thanks!!!:flowerforyou:
  • 4d9r
    4d9r Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Great idea! Going to try this one myself. :flowerforyou:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I just mark x's for the days I exercise. I like the visual tracking too!
  • medaglia_06
    Options
    Glad it could be of use. I have tried losing weight before and it doesn't last very long. I started this in January of this year and I haven't missed a day!
  • happypath101
    happypath101 Posts: 534
    Options
    Great idea. I think I'll do something like this but in a spreadsheet. I'm a nerd that way. What I need to track is how I'm doing WEEKLY. If I go over one day big time and then under a little over several days, I just assume that it works out. But, I probably should look more closely at those numbers. Thanks!
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this! I already give myself stars in my planner for exercise, but I never thought about it for calorie goals. I'm so close to my goal now and I've been having trouble staying under for the last 6 months. I've been having lots of cheat days. This might be the perfect incentive to help me lose these last 8 lbs!
  • Amy11Russ
    Amy11Russ Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is such a wonderful idea! Thanks for the tip!
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I've been logging wo for years alrdy and food but I'm switching over to this thanks
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    This sounds just like what I may need to get back on track....thanks for the tip I will use my work planner since I look at that all the time......
  • medaglia_06
    Options
    I LOVE this! I already give myself stars in my planner for exercise, but I never thought about it for calorie goals. I'm so close to my goal now and I've been having trouble staying under for the last 6 months. I've been having lots of cheat days. This might be the perfect incentive to help me lose these last 8 lbs!

Congrats on your progress! Good luck on the last 8 lbs!