ladies over 40

Options

Replies

• wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    1) Lifting weights is good as we get older to help prevent osteoporosis. http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/living-with-osteoporosis-7/weight-training
    2) and you have access at gyms to all sorts of equipment so you don't get bored with just one or two things at home.
    3) You can also have personal start up sessions with experienced trainers at most gyms to show you how to properly use machines, weights etc.
    4) and because at any age you can set the example for the younger people around you that it's never too late to get healthy!

~ this~

Plus a strong healthy body has more energy and sex drive ;) That makes my husband happy ;)

It can be threatening - they may think we are "looking" - being sensitive to that will help.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and never even gave a thought to my age, sheesh! Tell him thanks for making me feel old! :wink: I do it because it makes me feel great. I have more energy than a lot of teenagers I know! Screw 20! I hope he gets his head out of his butt and learns to be more supportive of you. Also, my stepdad is in his late 80s and still goes to the gym to lift. My mom is in her early 70s and she goes with him!
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    i told my dear husband that i wanted to join a gym.. he told me i'm not 20 anymore.. why even try..

so my question for those of you over 40.. why are you doing it.. why are you trying to eat well and look great.. seems my dear unsuportive husband cant figure it out.. i would like give him some answers.

I'm 42.

I'm lifting heavy weights.

I do it feel good. I do it to feel strong.

Other advantages include losing weight and tightening up everywhere.

You can get/be healthy and fit at any age.

This woman started lifting weights at 56 years old and is now 77. http://ernestineshepherd.net/?page_id=2

Now, you may not want to be a body builder, but you can certainly get into shape.

My family lives until their late 80s or even mid 90s. I'd like to be healthy as much of that time as I can. 40 isn't quite half-way to the finish line.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Why do it? So I don't end up with the same health issues/problems my mother is dealing with. So I will have the energy to be the "bestest" grandma to my grandsons.

I didn't start running (or exercising on a regular basis) until I was 39.... and now at 42 I feel more energetic than I did at 21.

That's why I do it! :happy:
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I am 44 and I go to the gym because it makes me look good, means I am wearing smaller clothes, for the 1st time in my life I have a flat stomach, I am stronger, I enjoy it, strength training will improve my bone density, nowadays I prefer it to going to the pub, and because I can.

Maybe you should tell your husband that you want to get stronger so you can look after him in his old age :laugh:
  • shimewazaMan
    shimewazaMan Posts: 413
    Options
    LOL ... I am not a lady, so I hope I'm allowed to post a comment! Sorry for the incursion behind "enemy" lines. LMAO. First of all, I can't believe that he said that to you! He should be encouraging you! My wife uses that excuse (for herself) all the time. She says, "Hey, I'm over 40. I'm never going to be in the shape I was in my 20's again. That's life." Personally, I think most of the deterioration that we attribute to age is really from inactivity and unhealthy living. I have seen too many examples of amazing people working out and looking great well into their 80's! The amazing man who owns the martial arts school I teach at (Grand Master Ron Jenkins) is in his 50's and is in better shape that most people I know regardless of their age. Pick any exercise and he can smoke anyone in the school on it. If you get a chance, check out this article: http://rosstraining.com/blog/category/the-blog/age-related/ . It is about a guy named Monohar Aich. Check out the picture of him AT 75 YEARS OLD! Lower down on that same page is a YouTube video of a guy in his 70's busting out bronco burpees like they are nothing. That is what I want to be like when I get to that age!
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    you don't need to give him answers, its your life.
  • PurplePookie
    PurplePookie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it for my children :smile:
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I met my husband when i was 25. I'm now 43, and in better shape than i've been since we met. I joined a gym and hired a personal trainer about 18 months ago. I feel awesome, i look so much better - and my hubby is enjoying the benefits. :D
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I saw the best answer to this ever just today while reading my standard round of paleo blogs. I believe it was sarah fragoso, here http://everydaypaleo.com/2012/05/30/why-i-lift-weights/

Her number 1 reason:
    1. I can save my family. I know without a doubt that if I had to, I could carry and run or at least lift and drag every single member of my family, husband included, to safety if I needed to. Jaden asked me several years ago when he was around five, “Mom, why do you workout?” and my response was, “Because Jaden, if I need to, I can carry you and your two bothers and run.”

Joining a gym, if it helps you become strong and healthy means you can SAVE YOUR FAMILY, including yourself.
  • DawnNewton
    DawnNewton Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I feel better when I work out.

I don't want to kill him as much when I work out because of all those happy endorphins running around.

He gets to see me in yoga pants (he likes that part.)

I have energy and motivation to do lots of other stuff (biking, fishing, camping, hiking, etc.)

I'm only 41 (Monday) for crying out loud! This fat lady hasn't sung yet and until I'm dead I'm going to keep working to improve myself and my quality of life! If he can't support that then he can at least shut up while I do my thing (although my husband would never deny me something I want for self improvement. And even if he did I lift weights and he knows I'm getting closer and closer to being able to take him! And since he doesn't workout I can run faster and longer than him so he can't run away.) :laugh:

There are so many studies that show how exercise lengthens life and improves quality of life that his defeatist attitude is just silly.
  • DawnNewton
    DawnNewton Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Love it! I'm 50, almost to a T why I work out.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    :angry: trying not to be mad!

guess you will have to make him eat his words.

i look, feel and act 20 years younger than i did 8 months ago.

good luck!
  • smketchum
    smketchum Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The reason I started was because I went to the doctor and found out I had high blood pressure. That freaked me out. Then a couple of months later I turned 40 and started feeling depressed....how could I be 40 so soon? Then I decided I might BE 40 but nowhere does it say I have to FEEL 40. I decided I wanted to be fit and active and continue to feel young, even when my driver's license says I should be playing bridge and watching Judge Judy. And you know what? My husband loves the results, but I'm doing it for me. I feel great and have accomplished so much that I never thought possible. Why bother? Because you are worth it! That's good enough reason for me :)
  • MargoPrior
    MargoPrior Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    For me, I have been up and down with my weight for years and then 9 months ago (on the 1st and 2nd of June), I had a HUGE wakeup call. I have a family history of heart disease and figured someday I would need BP meds but this was worse. I had already been put on high blood pressure meds about two weeks before and my doctor believed I needed a stent or two. I go in to have my cath done and have them put in and was told I had to have emergency open heart surgery; single bypass surgery. I had the widow maker. I am 43, have been a fairly active stay at home mom, staying at the weight of 180 for years and years, comfortably, till this happened. I went up 40 pounds after my surgery and decided one day, I was so tired of being tired and tired of taking medicines. I got depressed during those months of laying around, doing hardly anything, barely living. Now, it is time for ME! Time for me to LIVE. If your husband says why try, tell him because he wants you to have a strong, healthy heart to live with, to do anything with him, any children, just LIVE with. You don't want to be sick or have to ever (unless absolutely necessary) be put on meds to live (like me, which I hope changes once I get down to or near my goal weight). Tell him being unhealthy leads to so many complications but the worst is a unhealthy, weak body and immune system, which leads to so many other things; sickness, diseases and more. To be happy and healthy and alive is MUCH better than being dead, anyday of any week, any month, any year....Go forth and exercise lady!! Get that body and heart strong!! :-)
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and never even gave a thought to my age, sheesh! Tell him thanks for making me feel old! :wink: I do it because it makes me feel great. I have more energy than a lot of teenagers I know! Screw 20! I hope he gets his head out of his butt and learns to be more supportive of you. Also, my stepdad is in his late 80s and still goes to the gym to lift. My mom is in her early 70s and she goes with him!

^This.
    I'm 51. I can outrun my kids. I have carried my grandkids on my shoulders for a full 5K. I have won 1st and 2nd place trophies in 5K's. I've run a half marathon and plan on running more. This week I've had 2 people asking me when I'm doing a triathlon. I feel better than I ever did in my 20's. I have a ton of energy. I drive my kids nuts and I love it. I feel GREAT! I usually run 6 miles a day. Some days as many as 17. I'm working towards that marathon. :smile: Oh yeah and it's summer! Time for swimming and the beach! Oh yeah. I'm getting a bikini! I feel like I'm actually LIVING and LOVING LIFE... and exercise gives you so much energy for all the other stuff. :blushing: It's worth it to feel 30 years younger!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I am going to be thirty sixteen tomorrow........lol I don't think it matters what age your birth certificate says, its what age you FEEL, and I would love to feel 25 to 35...any offers?
  • judybrim
    judybrim Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love that you're ready to take charge of your life and make it better! You won't regret it, I promise! I just started working out last fall...age 48....and I've lost 51 lbs! It feels great! And now my hubby thinks maybe he should start working on his fitness, too! I just googled "bodies made to move" and it came up with lots of things, one of them I listed below. It's true...we are physical creatures that were built to move! And the more you do...of any kind of movement....the better! So, I wish you well! Do it for yourself! I know you'll have fun, in spite of the challenges! Keep at it every day and you will notice the difference. I love the combination of moving more and monitoring what goes into my body with this website! It's been a great journey! I've past my goal and extended it a bit more. Should change my initial picture to today's! But you go girl! You can do this...FOR YOU!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34209499/ns/health-fitness/t/your-bodys-big-enemy-youre-sitting-it/
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    the healthier I am..the healthier my children are. the better I eat..the better it is for them. teaching my children that life doesnt stop at 20..or even 30....I am 43..and I am doing it to be healthy...to live longer...I am in better health now..than I was at 33..
  • MzCongeniality70
    MzCongeniality70 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I do this for me!! I don't feel like it's time to start gearing up for my golden years because I'm in my 40's! :laugh: I can also outlift my friends in their 20's...age is just a number! Do it for you, doll!