Weighing Chicken

Options
WarmDontBurn
WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
Just baked some chicken and it occurred to me I have no idea the correct way to weigh it.
Do I pull it off the bone and then weigh the cooked meat using a random entry that says leg quarter? Would that be my best bet? Normally I weigh it raw then calculate but missed that step this time.

Replies

• mfpmech
    mfpmech Posts: 10
    Options
    Do I pull it off the bone

if you don't mind tearing up your meal before you eat it, go for it. if you would rather have a nice plate to preset, i would weigh the chicken now, write it down, then when you are finished, weigh the carcass and subtract the bones and bits you didn't eat from your previous number; your result is how much meat you ate.
    and then weigh the cooked meat using a random entry that says leg quarter?
    just go ahead and use the entry for "Chicken - Leg, meat only, raw" or whatever, and account for whatever other ingredients you added to it, also. for 'commodities' (meats, vegetables, spices, etc: anything that is a bare, unprepared food without added ingredients), i always aim for using the entries without an asterisk (*). these entries were added by either you or MFP, not other users. the ones added by MFP, from what i can tell, are exact copies of the USDA data on the foods, which is (generally) as accurate as you're gonna get.

don't stress a ton about how you weighed it post-cooking. sure, keep your habit of weighing before you cook, but don't lose any sleep if you might be over or under by 20-30 calories on this one portion tonight.

i try to make sure to not stress and obsess when counting calories: if you're 90% accurate, you're still going to lose/gain the weight you want, without the gray heairs from being 99% accurate.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Do I pull it off the bone

if you don't mind tearing up your meal before you eat it, go for it. if you would rather have a nice plate to preset, i would weigh the chicken now, write it down, then when you are finished, weigh the carcass and subtract the bones and bits you didn't eat from your previous number; your result is how much meat you ate.
    and then weigh the cooked meat using a random entry that says leg quarter?
    just go ahead and use the entry for "Chicken - Leg, meat only, raw" or whatever, and account for whatever other ingredients you added to it, also. for 'commodities' (meats, vegetables, spices, etc: anything that is a bare, unprepared food without added ingredients), i always aim for using the entries without an asterisk (*). these entries were added by either you or MFP, not other users. the ones added by MFP, from what i can tell, are exact copies of the USDA data on the foods, which is (generally) as accurate as you're gonna get.

don't stress a ton about how you weighed it post-cooking. sure, keep your habit of weighing before you cook, but don't lose any sleep if you might be over or under by 20-30 calories on this one portion tonight.

i try to make sure to not stress and obsess when counting calories: if you're 90% accurate, you're still going to lose/gain the weight you want, without the gray heairs from being 99% accurate.

thanks :) I did just pull it off the bone no need for presentation here...lol. 2 rowdy kids and a hungry mama I was just happy to sit and eat!

I am usually pretty anal about weighing everything but often times things throw me off and if I feel like I am cheating a little (so close to just restarting again) it sometimes triggers that "Well I already screwed up today might as well eat that box of donuts and half a cake" moment I have been giving into too much. Which got me into this mess in the first place!!

Thank you again :)