How do I fix this Purple Thing?

Options
orr_stacie
orr_stacie Posts: 48 Member
I just bought my first eggplant. Ive heard that its great fried. I have no idea how to prepare it or cook it. Please help!

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    <<Google>>
  • orr_stacie
    Options
    Thanks
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I''d suggest that you bake it, & don't fry it, as it will absorb lots and lots of fat if you do.

I like it chopped into chunks & baked with halved or quartered onions, halved tomatoes, chunks of sweet peppers (red, yellow, green or a mixture) and chunky courgette pieces (AKA zuccini if you're in the US). Spray lightly with a little cooking oil spray or mix the chunky veg bits with a little oil (turn over in a big bowl to coat lightly), then sprinkle with crushed garlic, ground black pepper & a little salt & bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or so.

Nice! I like this hot or cold, so don't worry if you end up with too much for one meal - pop the leftovers in the fridge, it's good for several.
  • christykirby
    christykirby Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Love eggplant!! You can cube it and combine with other veggies (peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc) and roast in the oven, grill it, or just slice it up and cook in a skillet with some EVOO or coconut oil.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Personally I hate eggplant... mushy, seedy, blech. But here's a recipe I plan to try one of these days.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/aunt-marys-eggplant-balls/detail.aspx
    **Edit... My sister is a vegetarian. She grills eggplant along with some other veggies, usually red peppers, onions, and makes a sandwich.
  • orr_stacie
    Options
    Thank you! Im going to try to bake it with the veggies. I'm trying to try new things that are healthy but its been a challenge so far :)