Sweating, how is it?

Options
nas24
nas24 Posts: 880 Member
That when I run on the treadmill for 20mins, I burn 200 cals (according to the treadmill read), and im soaking wet from sweat. But then I go on the elliptical for the same amount of time and burn more cals and barely sweat?

Replies

• KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The calorie-burning readings on the machines are wrong. If you feel like you're working harder on the treadmill, then you are. That translates to calories. (In this scenario at least.)
  • inraptorswetrust
    inraptorswetrust Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The calorie calculations on workout machines are notoriously inaccurate, so I never really trust them. Go for a hrm if you can afford one.
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It LIES! simply take your heartrate on both machines populate it and see how many calories u burn

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    im the exact opposite, maybe u need to crank up th e resistance level on the eliptical so ur not just treadin air. lol
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I'm always sweating bullets when I'm on the treadmill and the machine reads 200-300 calories depending on the speed and I can go do more strenuous activities that will burn more calories (I can't go on an elliptical, it hurts my knees so bad) and the most sweat I'll generate is that generic around the collar, mid and lower back warmth and stickiness of the shirt or just the gloss of it on my arms.

I suppose it's because, unless you're swinging your arms freely, you don't really move much on a treadmill so it can accumulate more.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I agree with what others said. For some reason my elliptical thinks I burn a ton of calories! I dont really. Today the machine said 500 calories, my HRM said 150.
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    see what you do is wear a sweater , do your cardio , weight the sweater when you are done 2lbs sweater for exampe then multiply by 100 =200 then multiply by 4 = 800 calories.. see thats how u figure that out
  • Rloral
    Rloral Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My elliptical usually shows 500 plus calories burned for 30 minutes with a incline of 30% and level 8 resistance. I purchased an HRM and it shows me as buring 420. The machine was way off. I'm usually sweating bullets.