My Caloric intake is wrong...

Options
This site has me eating less calories then I should be. I am trying to manually change my calories from what MFP has it set at. Can I do that and if so how?? Please HELP !!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    Yes, go to:

MY HOME>Goals> Change goals> Custom
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Under the "My Home" tab, click "Goals" at the top. Click "Change Goals", Select "Custom" and push "Continue". Tadaaaaaa...... But MFP calculated everything for you taking into consideration your caloric burn without activity and all that jazz. I believe it's pretty accurate :)
  • kimmers1027
    kimmers1027 Posts: 122
    Options
    Thank you so much. All fixed! I love this site but I had me eating 1200 calories a day. I went to other sites that agrees I should be eating more to lose weight! My weight loss is very sloooooowww at 1200! I will try it for a week or 2 and see what happens !
  • PinkKitty724
    Options
    It may work, because everyone's telling me to eat more, too. I'm trying as of today! Good Luck! :)
  • kenmunson333
    kenmunson333 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Eating more calories will slow the weight loss down even further. Weight loss is a function of the calories needed to maintain your body at a specific weight. If you weigh more than that but eat the number of calories required to maintain that weight, you will lose weight. Rate of loss depends on how close you are to that weight. Eating more calories will tell your body to maintain a higher weight. Now, you can get away with eating more calories by "purchasing" additional calories through exercise. If, however, you don't eat the extra calories but continue to consume the number required for the goal weight and continue to exercise vigorously, you will lose weight at a faster rate than just dieting alone would do.
  • PinkKitty724
    Options
    Eating more calories will slow the weight loss down even further. Weight loss is a function of the calories needed to maintain your body at a specific weight. If you weigh more than that but eat the number of calories required to maintain that weight, you will lose weight. Rate of loss depends on how close you are to that weight. Eating more calories will tell your body to maintain a higher weight. Now, you can get away with eating more calories by "purchasing" additional calories through exercise. If, however, you don't eat the extra calories but continue to consume the number required for the goal weight and continue to exercise vigorously, you will lose weight at a faster rate than just dieting alone would do.

This is different than 90% of the posts on here.. and testimonials from those who hit plateaus, and ate more calories and lost weight. Not saying you are wrong, but this is just different from everything I've learned today from my recent post asking about what I am doing wrong. Most say that I am eating too little calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options

Please learn about how this site works. You are making uninformed statements. You are coming from a place of morbid obesity when you took those weight loss classes. Women who need to lose 100-200 pounds can live on 900-1000 a day for a short period of time and with a doctor's supervision. In their case, they are supplemented heavily and have sufficient energy stores (their body fat). This is not the norm for a healthy merely overweight woman. And it certainly should not be recommended based on the tiny amount of information you have about the woman posting here. Be careful. It is extremely difficult to obtain the necessary nutrients on less than 1200 a day.

Most women need many more calories than 1200. To maintain my weight, if I exercise three times a week for 30 minutes, I need to eat 2000 calories a day. And I'm in my fifties, and within 10 pounds of my goal weight, so I require less calories than a 30 year old woman.
  • looopyloops
    looopyloops Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am eating between 1200 and 1500 hundred calories a day and I am losing most weeks, only 2 gains since jan 1st 2012. I also have one high calorie day a week 1800- 2000 lbs. From what I have read if you eat too little your body will slow your metabolism and you will go into starvation mode where the body doesn't want to let go of the weight.
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    900-1000 is wrong! The absolute minimum MFP sets women to is 1200 so it stands to reason many can eat considerably more (but below their maintenance) and still lose! Some people would keel over on 900 a day.
  • CB_SFO
    CB_SFO Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! 1200 goes so fast regardless of gender.
  • jaxandmaksmom
    jaxandmaksmom Posts: 262 Member
    Options

oh my god.. i have never actually seen anyone try to sound so smart while saying the dumbest things possible.. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.. do not give a piece of advice to anyone about weight loss EVER... or till you at least read an article or something cause you have just come off as the most unintellagent person ever
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options

Wrong.

Like other posters have said, please research more before giving advice, telling someone to eat 900-1000 calories a day is like telling someone to start doing cocaine to speed up their weight loss.
  • PinkKitty724
    Options
    Wrong.

Like other posters have said, please research more before giving advice, telling someone to eat 900-1000 calories a day is like telling someone to start doing cocaine to speed up their weight loss.

+1! I really hope the OP ignores his post and listens to the rest, as well as all the others throughout MFP. Advice like he gave could cause someone so many problems!
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Oh my, please don't listen to the person that told you to eat less than 1200 calories. 1200 is low in my opinion. That is the OLD SCHOOL way of thinking. Including exercise calories I eat in the area of 2,000 calories per day. If you leave it set at 1200, I would definitely eat back the calories you burn through exercise.
  • Jme2012
    Jme2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    geeez ......Don't you just wish there was a delete button on here? So the misinformed people can be hushed! :grumble:
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    interesting
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day seems like a lot for a woman to be consuming. But that may depend on what your goal weight it. I remember from earlier classes I've taken on dieting and weight control that men should target about 1200-1500 calories per day while women should target for 900-1000 calories per day.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and I would want my money back from those dieting classes.

OP: as all the others have said, please ignore this ridiculous post.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

I must be about to keel over and die then. I'm eating 2700 and there's about 1000 calories a day deficit in that to my maintenance...

The average woman at the average weight with average activity would consume, on average, 2000 calories a day to maintain that average-ness. So no, 1200 calories a day is definitely not a 'lot'.
  • Kantreece
    Kantreece Posts: 3
    Options
    I am in the Army. If I just ate 900-1000 calories at the end of the day my net calories would probably be 0. I am constantly moving around I have to eat. I have lost 2lbs so far following the guidance on this program and 30lbs before I knew it existed and I did not do that starving myself. My calorie goal is actually 1,400 for the day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I must be about to keel over and die then. I'm eating 2700 and there's about 1000 calories a day deficit in that to my maintenance...

The average woman at the average weight with average activity would consume, on average, 2000 calories a day to maintain that average-ness. So no, 1200 calories a day is definitely not a 'lot'.

Yup - I eat 1900 a day and am losing an average of 1lb a week.