Post work out snack an hour before bed

Options
I have used MFP since last August and I have successfully lost 35 lbs. I have 5 more lbsthat I am just fighting over and over and it is not coming off since March 31st. I am trying new things-food and exercise routine- and one thing I know is not to eat three hours before bed. Here is my issue: I work out at 8pm with my husband after work and afterwards I have snack -protein shake and fruit, protein smoothie, just fruit, sometimes cereal with almond milk. Should I not be doing this since I get home at 9:15ish, shower and eat at 9:30ishand then go to bed pretty much right after. I don't fall asleep till around 10:30 after some reading. I used to adhere to not eating three hours before bed when I lived with my parents cause I could do the treadmill RIGHT after work and my schedule no longer allows that.

So should I or shouldnt I eat post work out? If I eat a snack it before the workout its still less than three hours before bed. I eat dinner at 5:30ish every night.

Replies

• pandurbear77
    pandurbear77 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I read in the women's health big book of exercises that it is important to eat at least 20 grams of protein an hour before or a half hour after your work out to rebuild your muscles. Its hard to work out on a full stomach so i think its fine that you eat a little after your work out especially since its a healthy meal.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    A nice light post workout snack for me is 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with a tiny bit of fruit and honey. That would be light enough to have before bed and still get in some protein.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Unless you have any medical issues - you can eat/drink whenever you want, even if that is 2 minutes before going to sleep. Protein has an absorbtion window of about 24 hours, so you do not have to worry about a tight 'window' of when it is effective.

Don't overthink it - hit your calores and hit your macros for the day as a whole.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    if it doesn't affect your sleep-having something to eat/drink high in protein after your workout is a good idea (if you didn't get it in before the workout)

(I can't eat before bed-it gives me nightmares)
  • blueberry67
    Options
    I generally finish my workout around 7 pm and have dinner and 2 snacks right up to bedtime about 10 pm - if i don't eat at night before bed i wake up super early too hungry to sleep - i'm losing 2 lbs a week so it's working OK for me so I agree with just hitting your calories in / calories out for the day but everybodys body's different ......