How to avoid bulking up if your a man

Options
Whenever i read fitness advice for men online it always talks about how to bulk up but that's something i'm not interested in. What types of excersise would a man need to do to slim down and NOT bulk up? I know that cardio will help but will adding weight lifting bulk me up or help me slim down along with the cardio?

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Whenever i read fitness advice for men online it always talks about how to bulk up but that's something i'm not interested in. What types of excersise would a man need to do to slim down and NOT bulk up? I know that cardio will help but will adding weight lifting bulk me up or help me slim down along with the cardio?

Really it's just a factor of diet. Figure out how many calories you need to consume each day to maintain or lose weight and go from there. You can still get strong on a maintenance or deficit.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    you won't bulk up if you're in a deficit. I've been on a deficit for over a year and i am very small...about 9% bf and 144lbs at 5' 9" . And i lift heavy and super intense.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Don't eat at a surplus and you won't bulk. You might get a bit of newbie gains or water retention but you won't get ripped by accident
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Eat less protein + don't lift heavy = recipe for skinny fat
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Do not weight train in hypertrophy rep ranges....keep your reps low, 5 or less and you won't gain size, but will look muscular non-the-less. Caloric deficit helps too
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Do not weight train in hypertrophy rep ranges....keep your reps low, 5 or less and you won't gain size, but will look muscular non-the-less. Caloric deficit helps too

This. You will add strength and lose fat but won't gain bulk other than slight newbie gains.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    soy protein instead of real protein.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who said that you cannot get bulky in a calorie deficit or even in maintenance. You need to be in a surplus to add muscle but you can still get stronger & can make progressive overload even on a calorie deficit. So continue lifting, anyway its good for your bones & overall health.
  • Phill2488
    Phill2488 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Sorry for my stupidity here but what does deficit mean?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Sorry for my stupidity here but what does deficit mean?

Taking in less calories than what your body requires to maintain its current weight, aka dieting, aka cutting.