Working out twice?

Options
Muldactus
Muldactus Posts: 6,972 Member
I work 2nd shift, but try to hold down a relatively normal schedule - I get up at 9, eat, putz for a bit, workout (cardio right now - haven't added weight work yet), then try to get a few things done before work.

I'm considering adding an occasional 2nd workout later at night when I get home from work, but I dunno whether that's a good thing or bad thing health wise. Anyone have any thoughts, advice or suggestions?

Replies

• tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I try to do two a day...morning and night, but that's me telling myself once a day isn't good enough so I make myself do more
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've recently started going twice a day. i try and do the hardest work out of the day first.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    i've recently started going twice a day. i try and do the hardest work out of the day first.

I agree, I try to get two in a day and the second one is the easier of the two. I find that this has really helped with soreness.
  • sjflowers
    sjflowers Posts: 148
    Options
    My husband does. runs three in the morning runs 2 or 3 after work...
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I usually work out twice a day. Try to make the workouts as different as possible. For example one cardio/endurance and one weight training.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I do if I feel like it. I've seen no ill effect
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise vigorously twice a day, but I've started walking about an hour every night after dinner in addition to my running earlier on in the day.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I double up 3 times a week and I have been doing this for months
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Well I don't think it is I was walking/running 2 hrs last year and doing a 30 minute cardio and I seemed fine :drinker:
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I do it twice a week, and it works well for me! Honestly, it's the only way I can fit in everything I need/want to do in the week and still get a rest day in. I do two different kinds of exercise, though, I tend to get up and go for a run first thing and then do weights in the evening after work.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, the only limitation to how much work you put in should be whether you are adequately fueling that work and whether you are courting injury by overuse, vis-a-vis connective tissue problems like tendonitis, etc.

Personally, I can never keep up with doing enough laundry to have two batches of sweaty clothes per day.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Not a bad thing.. I've done it out of boredom =)
    I'm gonna start doing it twice a day because I don't get too much physical activity other than that and work.
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    my husband usually does cardio in am and strength in the pm.. he's seen great physical change ( or I have) though he hasnt seen a lot of scale change...

I personally do not have a lot of muscle definition so currently can't do more than a few work out s in the a.m....
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I think its fine if you have the time and energy.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I've also started doing 2 a days now that my son is home for the summer and carving out a big block of time during the day is hard. My first one is more intense usually. The second one is usually a Jillian Michaels or Bob Harper dvd.
  • getthin4life
    Options
    It's a good idea as long as it does not impact your sleep. I am definitely going to try to find time to fit in another routine earlier in the day
  • librislady
    librislady Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've just started doing two workouts a day and although I haven't seen the results yet, I feel it when I exercise!

I have a four-day-a-week running plan to get ready for a half marathon in October, and I wanted to get something besides cardio in so I tried circuits on my off-days. Bad decision! I didn't get a chance to fully rest my body and my runs were shoddy the next day as a result!

Now I'm doing runs in the morning and circuits in the evening on workout days, and rest days are ONLY for rest. I perform so much better that way!
  • kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I think its fine to work out 2x a day. I do not workout 2x a day but M-Thurs. I workout for about 2 hours a night, sometimes I will work out other days, not too often though
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I work out twice a day only on the weekends. I am NOT a morning person so getting up at 8 am on Saturday and Sunday is a MIRACLE. I usually do weight training first and cardio later in the day.
  • kathymillard1970
    Options
    I work out twice a day and love it I say try it if it's too much stop & try again another time.