Cardio and calorie burn

Options
Any ideas on interesting and fun cardio that burns alot of calories. I don't want to be stuck just running or using the machines at work.

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Any ideas on interesting and fun cardio that burns alot of calories. I don't want to be stuck just running or using the machines at work.

Why do you want to burn so many calories? A deficit is good, too much is pointless.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I read about an app that has a storyline about running away from Zombies - that would make running fun!
    Or I listen to audiobooks while I'm running, walking or working out.
    What about finding a dance class (or yoga or martial arts or whatever else sounds interesting to you)?

And Chris has a point - you don't need to burn a huge amount of calories every day. Eating at a moderate deficit and doing a moderate amount of exercise sounds dead boring but it works!
  • fitmomto2
    fitmomto2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Zumba's fun!!!!!!
  • anamika59
    anamika59 Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am just looking to burn 4-500 calories per day. I would like to see some weight loss during the next two months, about 12-15 pounds. I just don't want to be always using the same machines or running/walking only. I get bored easily doing cardio, probably why i dont stick to it... lol ... probably why i have the beautiful muffin to show for it.:laugh:
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I got the Biggest Loser music on my ipod and training with the C25K now- its running and walking but with the music its awesome!
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am just looking to burn 4-500 calories per day. I would like to see some weight loss during the next two months, about 12-15 pounds. I just don't want to be always using the same machines or running/walking only. I get bored easily doing cardio, probably why i dont stick to it... lol ... probably why i have the beautiful muffin to show for it.:laugh:

I burn 300+ strength training for an hour (my HRM reads over 600 most sessions). If you truly want to lose fat (note I didn't say weight), I'd suggest you break your workouts up into strength training, and cardio. The strength training will do more for your body shape than cardio alone ever will.

And no...if you're eating on a calorie deficit, you won't build muscle strength training...I promise :)
  • SweetDorothySweat
    SweetDorothySweat Posts: 114 Member
    Options

If that's what you want to do then I'd try some high intensity interval training. Lots of calories. Never boring. Have fun!
  • crisanderson27
    Options

If that's what you want to do then I'd try some high intensity interval training. Lots of calories. Never boring. Have fun!

Another excellent suggestion.
  • anamika59
    Options

I burn 300+ strength training for an hour (my HRM reads over 600 most sessions). If you truly want to lose fat (note I didn't say weight), I'd suggest you break your workouts up into strength training, and cardio. The strength training will do more for your body shape than cardio alone ever will.

And no...if you're eating on a calorie deficit, you won't build muscle strength training...I promise :)

Thank you. I will look at making up my own routine from reading the fitness magazines. Can't afford a trainer :sad:
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Thank you. I will look at making up my own routine from reading the fitness magazines. Can't afford a trainer :sad:

Search the groups here on MFP for the Stronglifts 5x5 women's group. It's an excellent starter program...and they really help each other out.
  • anamika59
    Options
    thank you Chris. I will check it out.
  • hml86
    hml86 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Zumba is good cardio to burn some calories!! I have it for my Wii!! They also have video tapes or classes you can take at a local gym! Depending on your weight, I burn from 350-610 calories in 30-45 mins!!
  • anamika59
    Options
    Zumba is good cardio to burn some calories!! I have it for my Wii!! They also have video tapes or classes you can take at a local gym! Depending on your weight, I burn from 350-610 calories in 30-45 mins!!

THank you. I didn't know they made Zumba for the Wii. I can dust off the Wii now and do it whenever I have extra time.
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I took a cardio kickboxing class at my gym and it was a lot of fun.. I burned around 300-400 calories in the one hour class.
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I love cardio kickboxing..tae bo is awesome...so is Chris Freytags.
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Chalene Johnson's Turbo Jam DVD. It's upbeat, and burns a lot of calories. There are multiple workouts that include cardio, strength, and abs. I burn 582 on 43 minutes of cardio party, and 414 on 40 minutes of turbo sculpt.