FitBit- worth it if you are already motivated?

Options
Hi friends, I keep thinking about getting a Fitbit, but since I am already fairly motivated to get fit and am having success, I wonder if it would be worth getting. I don't want to get obsessive about tracking every tiny detail. What do you all use it for exactly, when you are already exercising, tracking your food, etc.?

Replies

• Gr8sh80l80
    Gr8sh80l80 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the BodyMedia band which is pretty much the same thing. LOVED IT! I found it to be really inspirational and I didn't get obsessed with the numbers. It's pretty cool to see how many calories you burned and at what hour of the day. It made me want to do better the following I These devices aren't cheap but I would totally recommend it for someone who is interested in what's going on "inside" your body
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Totally worth it. I was motivated before buying it but even on days where I dont get a workout in I just make sure I am moving to watch those steps go up. Then I dont feel so bad when I dont get my workout in. It takes all the guess work out of maintaining. MFP said 1600 was maintance for me and fitbit says 2200-2000 and so far I am maintaining eating what fitbit says I have burned =)
  • msmileyface
    msmileyface Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Cool.. so what else do you use it for besides the pedometer?
  • JujesFitness
    Options
    The FitBit isn't 100% accurate but it is a great motivational tool. I had one for 6 months, but unfortunately, I went running on the beach and lost it.

One of the problems with the FitBit is that it's way too small and it clips onto your clothes. They provide you with a little plastic clip but that little thing is small and worthless that it broke after the first 2 months so I clipped it on my clothes afterwards.
    NOTE* The FitBit is designed to slide between your clothes (like a book marker) but if you run, it may slide off.

As a tool, it helps keep you focused on your physical activity. This is a plus for a person that does a lot of Cardio Activity (running, Turbo Kick, Circuit Training)

I've since moved on and purchased a NIKE+FUELBAND. With this device, you can set personal goals to your physical activity. If you are lucky enough to get one (they've SOLD OUT twice and can only be purchased through the NIKE web-site) it's definitely worth the $149 that it cost to purchase one.

Good Luck!
  • DaleArden
    DaleArden Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm looking to get a fitbit too. I'm pretty motivated as far as exercise is concerned--already working out six days a week and upping my activity levels in general--but I'm not sure how efficiently I'm eating. Okay, so I know I'm not eating as well as I could be, but I want to have a much more accurate idea of how many calories I need and how many I'm burning. I think fitbit will give me that. I'm also intrigued to use the sleep monitor. I sleep like the dead most nights but I still wake up exhausted, I'd love to know what's going on when I think I'm dead to the world. It's my birthday in September and (if I can wait that long) fitbit is already on my wishlist.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I have one but not sure its a geat benefit. The calories burnedbthing are bmr calories, not activity calories. It is somewhat motivating. But its reallynjust a very good pedometer. It wont help with biking or anything butbwalking,mrunning and stairs.